Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Need some real opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:57 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think htere is a spring with a bolt on it under the dash where you can adjust the stiffness on the clutch......

Old 01-09-2014, 11:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have to agree, that I think Ford has done some work to make their v8 Mustangs sound good and distinguished from the factory. You can almost tell it's a Mustang just by it's sound.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:59 PM
1 Year Member

I agree with you guys. I think the Mustang Bar none is one of the best sounding engines out there. It's just something about the tone that is just right. About the only engine I think sounds close is the Hemi which sounds really really good as well. Anyway, size is not a big issue for me. I'm only about 5'11 and I'm pretty skinny. So I tend to fit in most cars pretty easily. My Dad and I are going to check the car out hopefully Saturday. Then I just have to hope they will give me a decent amount for my Monte since I still owe just over $10,500 for it.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:52 PM

5 Year Member

If you want my advise... as a guy who just bought one.... I wouldn't buy that car on Saturday.

I think you need to find one, local, whatever, and drive it around some. Climb in and out of it 3-4 times. Get a feel for it. Check out the trunk. Pop the hood. Drive it again.

Then you need to tell the salesman you need some time to examine your finances and consider your options.

Next, I think you need to find another car and check ito ut. Just sit in it one time at least. I sat in a Camaro and drove a Honda Civic SI. I knew I wanted the Mustang.

For time frame reference, I drove a Mustang in like early November 2012 for the first time. I checked prices, checked my Monte again... then just looked at prices for a while. Then I drove by a lot and checked one out again...

Didn't make my move until November 2013.

Maybe you like to move fast, maybe not. Try putting your Monte Carlo up for sale and see if you can sell it yourself. The dealer may offer you a boatload, they may offer you the shaft.

If you have a buddy with a manual, Mustang or not, see if they'll let you borrow it for a day or so and see if you like living with it. I like a manual on some days but not for a daily driver.

Don't rush yourself into something... force yourself to check out another car and think about this for a time.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:50 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
If you want my advise... as a guy who just bought one.... I wouldn't buy that car on Saturday.

I think you need to find one, local, whatever, and drive it around some. Climb in and out of it 3-4 times. Get a feel for it. Check out the trunk. Pop the hood. Drive it again.

Then you need to tell the salesman you need some time to examine your finances and consider your options.

Next, I think you need to find another car and check ito ut. Just sit in it one time at least. I sat in a Camaro and drove a Honda Civic SI. I knew I wanted the Mustang.

For time frame reference, I drove a Mustang in like early November 2012 for the first time. I checked prices, checked my Monte again... then just looked at prices for a while. Then I drove by a lot and checked one out again...

Didn't make my move until November 2013.

Maybe you like to move fast, maybe not. Try putting your Monte Carlo up for sale and see if you can sell it yourself. The dealer may offer you a boatload, they may offer you the shaft.

If you have a buddy with a manual, Mustang or not, see if they'll let you borrow it for a day or so and see if you like living with it. I like a manual on some days but not for a daily driver.

Don't rush yourself into something... force yourself to check out another car and think about this for a time.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. That's some good advice.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

For 9 grand? Ouch. I haven't looked up prices on them or anything, but that seems awfully high, especially since I found a 2002 Corvette recently with the same mileage for that same price.

I will say that a manual is fun to drive unless you have stop and go traffic. Then it sucks. I am a fan of that model Mustang, and yes they can sound very good. IIRC you have a 5.3 in your Monte. As far as power goes, that Mustang is going to be slower than your Monte stock for stock. But, RWD, a huge aftermarket...

Ultimately, get what you like and enjoy... You will be the driver. Have fun with your car shopping!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
For 9 grand? Ouch. I haven't looked up prices on them or anything, but that seems awfully high, especially since I found a 2002 Corvette recently with the same mileage for that same price.

I will say that a manual is fun to drive unless you have stop and go traffic. Then it sucks. I am a fan of that model Mustang, and yes they can sound very good. IIRC you have a 5.3 in your Monte. As far as power goes, that Mustang is going to be slower than your Monte stock for stock. But, RWD, a huge aftermarket...

Ultimately, get what you like and enjoy... You will be the driver. Have fun with your car shopping!
KBB says that trade in value is $6400 in perfect condition. But when you look up how much you should pay, private dealer is $8,000 in excellent condition and suggested retail is $9700. So it looks about right as far as price goes. However I know they didn't give but probably $5000-$6000 for the car. So I'm sure they have some wiggle room. Now I just have to hope they will wiggle if I go to look at it.

As far as a manual goes. I'm not real confident with one. I've driven one a few times. But I still have a lot of practice that I need to do lol. I just want one because I get bored of driving an auto. Maybe this will switch things up. As far as traffic goes, I very rarely drive in stop and go traffic. I have 6 stop lights from my house to my work. And most of the time I only get stuck at 3 of them. I don't do much driving other then going to work.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check what KBB lists for private part (I think that's under "what's my car worth" last time I used it). I've used that as a guide to the car I'm looking at (it usually gave 3 rates, fair, good and excellent).

As for a manual, it grows on you if you're new to it. Once you can conquer a hill with confidence, you know all you need to
I only drove a friend's manual shift truck in a parking lot and on a non-busy street the night before I bought my Camaro. It did not take long to get confident. Keep the attitude "I can do this" and you will

Old 01-10-2014, 08:38 AM

5 Year Member

I have to ask again... another member mentioned the horsepower, and they're right. You get a Mustang, and they offer you low trade in nad all, you're going to owe money on the Monte AND that Mustang you buy. You're going to dig yourself a hole.

Don't buy that car on Saturday. Even if you fall in love with it.

Drive it, try it out, run it through town, do whatever.

The next thing I would do is search for 01-02 Camaro or Firebird with low miles and go drive it. You might like it better. If you're a GM guy, you satisfy your need for a GM vehicle. Plus, after 98, the Camaro and Firebird had a 325 hp LS1 V8, and a 6 speed instead of a 5, like hte Ford had until they came out with the 5.0 in 2010? or so. The Mustang lost that battle, hands down. You can start modifying those and start from more horsepower too.

You said you "wanted more than these cars had to offer?" Have you driven one? Plus, mpgs, you're tlaking 2-4 mpg... ads up over the years, but I don't think it's going to add up to save you waht mods to that Mustang would need to get to the Camaro's level of performacne, and I don't think you're going to save more than $10-15 a month either way. What's the Mustang ahve that the Camaro and Firebird doesn't offer?

I really don't think you should buy this car without trying out something else. I always drive a few cars when I want something new just to have something to compare it too. Every single time, I loved the first car I wnated in the first place, but after driving other cars, I knew what people were talking about they compared options.

Just my $.02.... isn't worth much with the inflation rate and all these days, btu that's it!

P.S.... read the title under my name.... Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man.

And I'm trying to talk you out of buying that car....

If you can tell me you drove both cars and prefer the Mustang, then go for it... but don't get a bad deal... there are lots of those cars out there. Several members here think that one is over priced. Don't be scared to walk away. There are plenty of Mustangs, plenty of deals you can make. Don't move too fast and get a car you'll regret.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 01-10-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
I have to ask again... another member mentioned the horsepower, and they're right. You get a Mustang, and they offer you low trade in nad all, you're going to owe money on the Monte AND that Mustang you buy. You're going to dig yourself a hole.

Don't buy that car on Saturday. Even if you fall in love with it.

Drive it, try it out, run it through town, do whatever.

The next thing I would do is search for 01-02 Camaro or Firebird with low miles and go drive it. You might like it better. If you're a GM guy, you satisfy your need for a GM vehicle. Plus, after 98, the Camaro and Firebird had a 325 hp LS1 V8, and a 6 speed instead of a 5, like hte Ford had until they came out with the 5.0 in 2010? or so. The Mustang lost that battle, hands down. You can start modifying those and start from more horsepower too.

You said you "wanted more than these cars had to offer?" Have you driven one? Plus, mpgs, you're tlaking 2-4 mpg... ads up over the years, but I don't think it's going to add up to save you waht mods to that Mustang would need to get to the Camaro's level of performacne, and I don't think you're going to save more than $10-15 a month either way. What's the Mustang ahve that the Camaro and Firebird doesn't offer?

I really don't think you should buy this car without trying out something else. I always drive a few cars when I want something new just to have something to compare it too. Every single time, I loved the first car I wnated in the first place, but after driving other cars, I knew what people were talking about they compared options.

Just my $.02.... isn't worth much with the inflation rate and all these days, btu that's it!

P.S.... read the title under my name.... Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man.

And I'm trying to talk you out of buying that car....

If you can tell me you drove both cars and prefer the Mustang, then go for it... but don't get a bad deal... there are lots of those cars out there. Several members here think that one is over priced. Don't be scared to walk away. There are plenty of Mustangs, plenty of deals you can make. Don't move too fast and get a car you'll regret.
I'm going to agree with the mustang man, if your looking to trade to RWD look for a 2002 pontiac firbird formula. You could probably find a private owner to trade straight across on and just owe exactly what you do on the monte. No dealer Is going to give you 10.5k for the monte even though they will sell it for 15k. When you go to trade cars take out a loan for the car you are getting and use it to pay off the monte. Honestly I would stick with the MC, and pay it down. But do what you want, its your car.

Quick Reply: Need some real opinions