Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Nascar race tonight

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 06:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I remember Mt Clemens! I was just a little kid back then though. I spent less time watching the races and more time playing in that fort they had for the kids

do you remember jr hanley? he was from ontario....his unlimited late model was bright orange....#72

just curious...if u dont then i guess you were really young lol

Old 04-28-2012, 06:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was really young, but I remember Jr Hanley. Well, sort of...

Old 04-28-2012, 07:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I was really young, but I remember Jr Hanley. Well, sort of...
have u lived in ontario all your life? and commuted to Mt clemens? or did u live in michigan at 1 time when u were younger?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ricks 2006 SS
Well I've been watching that kind of racing since most of you were born. I bought a brand new 1968 Torino. Just like Duane has. But mine was Red. I bought that When I saw the commerical during the race. I used to watch what they called STOCK car racing back in the day. So after all these yrs PLUS when My Favorite driver of all time past away #3. I sort of lost interest in it for a long while. WE used to do that racing thing at work. They would have 43 #'s in a hat. You'd draw yr driver and that was yr man for that yr. Just lost a liitle interest in it I guess. They keep changeing the rules and making it less watchable. You younger cats missed it say back in the late 60's to early 70's racing was all out FUN to watch. Now it's just not the same. Thats why i just watch the Big tracks
I lost interest back in '86 after Pearson quit driving.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM

I love the short tracks. A lot of movement and strategy. But I did grow up going to dirt track races all the time. I love dirt tracking. I went to Dega 2 years ago. It wasn't bad, but it was just a pain to walk all the way to the bath houses and then walk 3 miles and be sweating to death again. I just decided to not bathe lol. But I went when there were tornadoes around all weekend and walked 5 miles for more beer.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
have u lived in ontario all your life? and commuted to Mt clemens? or did u live in michigan at 1 time when u were younger?
I've always lived in Ontario, but always "gone racin'" in America! I'm very pro-America! I spend as much time there as I can. Its pretty much where I've spent every vacation or week-end away in my life. Mt Clemens was a long time ago. I'd say Oswego NY is my home away from home, where I've enjoyed 25 year of Classic Weekend in Sept. I don't visit MI nearly so much anymore. My father is a die-hard racer/ race-fan and I grew up sleeping in those grandstands and pits...

Old 04-29-2012, 12:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have been a fan for about 15 years. I was never really a Dale fan but I do respect what he did for the sport. I am a Harvick fan as some of you know. I like jr, kenseth, and Jeff Burton. I always like to see a race won by someone who hasn't won in a long time or a first time winner is good too. I don't watch as much as i did in the past because I was getting sick of seeing Jimmy Johnson win championships.

Stumpmi we had a similar accident happen up here a few years back.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
do you remember jr hanley? he was from ontario....his unlimited late model was bright orange....#72

just curious...if u dont then i guess you were really young lol
If memory serves me right Jr Hanley used to run either the ACT Tour or the late models in Vermont and New York. I used to go to the races at Catamount Speedway in Milton Vermont and Thunder Road Speedway in Barre Vermont. Catamount was torn down and became an industrial park and Ken Squire owns the Barre track.

I don't care much for the new NASCAR. I prefer the old days when the cars were real stock cars and the teams with innovation won the race.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

We are indeed starting a new segment, Rick, you should come on down!!! All of you should, actually!! You can start right here in the Talladega thread!!

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/na...43/#post453226

^ LINK ^

I've got some DVD's that someone made of those old NASCAR races from the 60s and 70s, mainly the era that my Torino was on the track. I love watching the car in my carport go around that track! But at the same time, there were problems that fans today would never tolerate. Would you be mad if there was a race with about 4 cars on the lead lap at the end of it? Waht if the leader won by leading 310 of 334 laps at Charlotte and won by 17 seconds with three cars on the lead lap? How about a Bristol race with 15 cars on the track at the end and only two of them had a chance at winning? How about a 500 mile race at Darlington with 3 cautions, about 15 cars on the track, and only one of them even on the lead lap?

Back then, they condensed the races down. They had their advantages, but there were things going on that modern fans just wouldn't watch. If you didn't like Texas, Kansas, or those long runs at Richmond, then you would never have liked old school NASCAR.

But it seems liek with the lack of aerodynamics and downforce, track position wasn't everything back then. You could run up to a guy and pass him without having to worry about him taking the air off your nose. You could go through the grass and recover without worrying about the nose getting torn off you car. You didn't worry about little BS things like the splitter hitting the track in the corner. And they talk about how "resiliant" this COT car is... ti's not as resiliant as the old time cars. This is the car that won Darlington in 1968:

look closelye and you will see taht the door and fender are damaged from an incident with David Pearson with about 50 laps to go. EVen though Pearson spun out and Yarborough was in the wall, NASCAR didn't throw a caution. They didn't care if a Pepsi bottle was on the track back then.

That 1976 Daytona 500 with Petty and Pearson crashing coming to the line.. they were the only two cars on the lead lap.

1979 when Yarborough and Donnie Allison crashed on the final lap, Petty won... 5 cars were on the lead lap....

So would you want ot watch that today? Be honest.... I see you people complaining in the NASCAR thread when they go more than about 60 laps with no caution.