Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Mostly off-topic (Still my Monte's fault)

Old 08-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Default Mostly off-topic (Still my Monte's fault)

So I got my first speeding ticket after about 4 weeks of driving. Doing 68 in a 45. It was a long clear stretch of road with nothing around (except the cop evidently).

I've been looking into my options with how to deal with the ticket. Its 6 points and I'm still on my probationary license (got the license 1 week before my monte)

Anyone have any experience with dealing with tickets? I've heard that its always best to go to the court date. And while I've heard many say that its best to get a lawyer I don't think that's particularly practical for me. I can attend road safety courses to get rid of 3 points so my goal is to see if i can get the ticket down to 3 points. Its currently 6 points and $150. I also heard that some places will reduce the points but increase the fine. I'm honestly not sure which would be worse. I've also heard what many people have had their tickets changed to in court and I don't know if thats entirely at the discretion of the judge or if its something you have to specifically ask for.

Living in Wisconsin in Waukesha County first offense of any kind.

Side note: I obviously don't think it was my monte's fault. It was 100% mine and i'm just trying to minimise the fallout on my insurance as I'm on it with my wife and we're having trouble as it is.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:20 AM

Yes, you need to go to court, but no, not alone.
You need to Hire a service to fight the ticket for you.
Around here, we have X-Coppers and other services specifically for fighting tickets for you.
They are para-legals (wannabe lawyers) or ex cops, and they know the courts and legal system.
It might cost 1 or 2 thousand, but save your insurance.
Your insurance will be high for 5 years.
And, if you don't fight this, and get another ticket, you might lose your license, or they'll cancel your insurance.
Good Luck!!