General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

GM is at fault for the failure of intake manifold gaskets in several of its vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:53 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default GM is at fault for the failure of intake manifold gaskets in several of its vehicles

[:@]For members information.
1998-2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Update, April 24, 2006: General Motors has been slapped with a class action lawsuit in Canada. The suit comes after this CTV Whistleblower report that revealed problems with a small engine part in millions of GM vehicles. The lawsuit alleges GM is at fault for the failure of intake manifold gaskets in several of its vehicles.

It's a simple component buried deep under the hood -- in some one million General Motors vehicles sold in Canada alone. It has the potential to cause huge headaches though, for the GM vehicle It's an intake manifold gasket, put in at the GM factories, in some makes and models between 1995 and 2003. According to GM's own internal service bulletin, the part can "degrade" -- causing coolant to leak -- sometimes into the engine. Several vehicle repair mechanics told CTV that in the worst case scenario, the coolant mixes with engine oil -- making the oil ineffective -- and damaging the engine.

They say in extreme cases, the engines overheat and seize completely -- which means the vehicles need complete engine replacements. Some GM customers have been hit with repair bills of up to $5000 -- after their warranties have expired.[:@][:@][:@]

[:-]Click below to read complete article[:-]

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...0406/20060406/

Old 10-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: GM is at fault for the failure of intake manifold gaskets in several of its vehicles

yah this has been out for a long time now, well up here anyway, felpro makes a metal set of gaskets that replace these, waaaay better

my dad owns an auto parts store up here that i work @ and we sell all sorts of these gaskets sets, and they come with the metal intake gaskets, and valve cover gaskets(not metal) and a lot of little stuff too

and dont get the repair work done @ gm, too much money, at least thats what we've run into up here

part #s are MS98000T
MS98001T
MS98002T
MS98003T
MS98004T

all fel-pro

Old 10-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Default RE: GM is at fault for the failure of intake manifold gaskets in several of its vehicles

No!!!! GM???? Sorry, I refuse to believe that crap......

GM would never screw us poor consumers...

Old 10-25-2006, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey Josh, great post & infor. I knew when I read the information that it was
written back in April 06, but I never read that information before & thought
it was worth the time to post.

Sounds like the members now know
who to contact for parts Peace
`Space

Mr Montejass, Believe.....Believe....I know the truth really hurts : (

When are you getting that 06 Monte ?

Old 10-25-2006, 04:40 PM

seen that happend on alot of 3.8l anyway i have a question is the front valve cover gasket hard to change on the 38 sc?

possibly going to by one, oil leaks by the front valve cover onto the ehausht manifold

Old 10-25-2006, 05:35 PM

hell if i tear mine down that far im putting ina better cam then i have and some better lifters to .

Seems lke a good excuse to explain to the wife why i need to tear my car apart LOL

but it will have to wait till the "big Move" happens. if they would ever come off a date it would be real nice. [:@][:@] but at least i knwo what i will be doing if i notice water in the oil so far all temps and presures have been in the good to floor range so i have not thought of this to much . but i do watch them pretty close also .

Old 10-25-2006, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member

i dont believe the 3.8's are having any problems though are they???

i think its mostly the 3.1's and the 3.4's

Old 10-25-2006, 11:51 PM

I was at my GM dealership for something else one day a couple years ago-- an oil change I think, on my lunch hour. While there, the mechanic told me he thought the aforementioned gasket was badly worn and that if I didn't have it changed out, there could be oil/coolant mixture as noted in the article. As he could see my skepticism, he assured me that the repair would be covered by my warranty. Now, I don't know if this is a real issue or if it's just a way for the dealerships to stick it to GM, but I let them do the work. I wonder how many people they gave the same line.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:27 AM

Was it on your '02 SS? If, so, how many miles a that point?

Old 10-26-2006, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member

i dont think gm cover's these under warranty, they would lose too much money. its their fault but i dont think they cover it

Quick Reply: GM is at fault for the failure of intake manifold gaskets in several of its vehicles