Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

The Least Dependable Cars in America

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 PM

JD Power, Consumer Reports, Consumer Guide and the rest of them can all go to hell in a hand basket. They are all corrupt and have not got a clue about what they report about. I said this before on this forum and will say it again. Example number one: Chrysler PT Cruiser- Consumer Reports and Comsumer Guide said that this car was a best buy or a recommended buy by both magazines and had high ratings from JD Powers as well. I have a 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser lawn ornament. I bought the car with 12500 miles in 2003. The car currently has 69,809 miles on it now. Actually the mileage has not changed in almost five years because it has been down that long. This car was a show poodle and daily driver. It never got beat on or abused in the time I owned it. So in less than 60,000 miles I rebuilt the transmission, replaced one axel, radiator fans and relays, brakes, and tires. Brakes and tires I can understand. The axel was under warrantee. The rest came out of my pocket. Oh ya, forgot to mention it dumped a timing belt on I-4 at 70 MPH on an interference engine. That is why it is a lawn ornament. Some day I will fix it. I thought mine was an isolated case. Nope, I've talked to many PT owners who have had similar experiences. The reason Consumer Reports and Consumer Guide pulled there best buy rating from the PT Cruiser the last two years of it run? It didn't have side curtain air bags like many cars in the same market segment. My PT is the biggest lemon with a Chrysler badge I ever bought. My Dodge Aspens and Diplomats, and Plymouth Volares got horrible reviews from these guys and almost everyone of them was a superior mode of transportation.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:12 PM

Damn moparman beat me to this thread..... i was gonna say wait till moparman see the top 3 he'll write a book as a response lol

Old 02-17-2012, 11:13 PM

Mod Mike with another "mike on mike" buurrrn! :P

Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Habbibie
Damn moparman beat me to this thread..... i was gonna say wait till moparman see the top 3 he'll write a book as a response lol
Sorry I beat you to it. Lol. Did you notice I used all Mopar for my example. I don't just dump on Chevy's. Haha.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
But these are taken from data from owners...
They manipulate the data to get the results they want. JD Powers if for sale to anybody that wants to buy. I've seen JD Power plaques in every automotive dealership I've walked into. No credibility.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:46 PM

I find it surprising that Infiniti is on that list, since Nissan is typically on the other end of the spectrum and they share most mechanical parts. But then again, these are the same magazines that will never talk bad about anything made by Honda, Toyota, or their luxury counterparts. They seem to see Nissan like the bastard child of the imports.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:57 PM

Cuz Nissan costs 3x the amount to fix what Honda and Toyota do...

Old 02-18-2012, 12:20 AM

I call BS on that. Toyota (and their Lexus luxury version) is notorious for replacement parts only being available from dealers and prices are sky high even for parts you can get at parts stores. Nissans actually aren't that bad on parts. Not as cheap as Ford or Chevy but considering they don't have to be shipped from Japan like a lot of Toyota and Honda parts do the prices are lower.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 AM

Honda isn't cheap to buy parts for. The other thing is Honda is over rated. Honda has been importing cars into the US for as long as Toyota. What is the oldest Honda you see running the roads? For me it is Hondas from the 90's. I see Toyotas from the 70's and 80's with a fair amount of regularity. Where do the Hondas go? I suspect the crusher.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:34 AM

For that matter, I still see Datsun pickups (the first Nissan models sold in the US) running around from time to time.

Quick Reply: The Least Dependable Cars in America