Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

iPhone & 'Droid Phones Hacked

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:01 AM

One thing I've learned in IT is never assume something cannot be hacked. I believe anything can be hacked if there is enough incentive. Apple computer users fall for that trap all the time. For a while they were relatively safe because the Mac OSs didn't have enough market share to justify the effort. Now that Apple has a much larger portion of the PC market, the OSs are getting exposed. It's possible that there just isn't enough market share to justify large scale hacking of the OS.

DOD computer systems have been hacked in the past. If they can hack those they can hack just about anything. I will never believe that something cannot be hacked. Especially something at is always connected to the Internet. No offense but I'm not going to be convinced that something can't be hacked, especially with my background.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's not just the hacking issue that keeps me from buying a windows phone. It's the reliability. We all know how horrible Windows has been for having bugs and reliability issues. And each new update just brings you new issues to deal with.

I'll take a Blackberry or iphone over a Windows phone any day.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
One thing I've learned in IT is never assume something cannot be hacked. I believe anything can be hacked if there is enough incentive. Apple computer users fall for that trap all the time. For a while they were relatively safe because the Mac OSs didn't have enough market share to justify the effort. Now that Apple has a much larger portion of the PC market, the OSs are getting exposed. It's possible that there just isn't enough market share to justify large scale hacking of the OS.

DOD computer systems have been hacked in the past. If they can hack those they can hack just about anything. I will never believe that something cannot be hacked. Especially something at is always connected to the Internet. No offense but I'm not going to be convinced that something can't be hacked, especially with my background.
You are reading way more into what I wrote and/or misinterpreting the purpose of my initial post. I never said a Windows phone could not be hacked and I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone about anything. In fact, I agree with your reply. I simply stated that to date, I'm not aware of anyone being successful at hacking a Windows 7 or 8 phone. In comparison, Apple and Android phones are quite simple to hack. There are several articles on the 'net from reliable sources that validate this. The intent of my post was to bring to light the facts so anyone considering purchasing a new phone would be better informed - nothing more and nothing less.

Originally Posted by Taz
It's not just the hacking issue that keeps me from buying a windows phone. It's the reliability. We all know how horrible Windows has been for having bugs and reliability issues. And each new update just brings you new issues to deal with.

I'll take a Blackberry or iphone over a Windows phone any day.
No offense intended, but it appears to me as if your dislike for the Windows phone is based on an opinion you formed about the Windows desktop OS and not the phone itself. The bugs and reliability issues you refer to have absolutely nothing to do with the OS used on the phone. When one judges a book by the cover they deny themselves the opportunity to learn and grow.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good point Mike. I still don't trust Microsoft though.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:38 AM

Here's something to think about, if you use bluetooth on your phone, your susceptible to the phone being compromised without you even knowing it.

A friend of mine had Internet Security classes and he did it to me when I was at his house one day. He pulled up my recent calls, texts, phone book,etc. While I was in the middle of a phone call.

Scary what people are capable of