Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> eBay Hacked <

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy > eBay Hacked <

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Hi Member's, I know that several MCF Member's use eBay...Check out the below infor Oh `No

eBay Hacked, Users Should Change Passwords

eBay Inc. said that it will be asking eBay users later today to change their passwords because of a cyberattack that compromised a database containing encrypted passwords and other non-financial data.

Cyberattackers compromised a small number of employee log-in credentials, allowing unauthorized access to eBay's corporate network, the company said.

The database, which was compromised between late February and early March, included eBay customers’ name, encrypted password, email address, physical address, phone number and date of birth. However, the database did not contain financial information or other confidential personal information. eBay said that the compromised employee log-in credentials were first detected about two weeks ago.

The company said it has seen no indication of increased fraudulent account activity on eBay. The company also said it has no evidence of unauthorized access or compromises to personal or financial information for PayPal users. PayPal data is stored separately on a secure network, and all PayPal financial information is encrypted.

Beginning later today, eBay users will be notified via email, site communications and other marketing channels to change their password. In addition to asking users to change their eBay password, the company said it also is encouraging any eBay user who utilized the same password on other sites to change those passwords, too.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad you put this on the forum Spacerider. I just went and changed my password. Thats something I would not want people getting since I use ebay all the time.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Angry >It's Sad that everyone has to be concerned when enjoying the Web 4>Sure

You're Welcome `Zach,
The internet is getting more dangerous and difficult to protect...It's a World Problem for all on the internet

Old 05-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 05-22-2014, 07:57 AM

Thanks for looking out for us. Changing Password

Old 05-22-2014, 08:40 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the heads-up - just reset my password

Old 05-22-2014, 08:55 PM

i seen this on the news and all over facebook.....but why did i not get an email from ebay???? makes ya wonder. i have yet to log on and change my info yet. ill get there.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nightmagic11801
i seen this on the news and all over facebook.....but why did i not get an email from ebay???? makes ya wonder. i have yet to log on and change my info yet. ill get there.

*Note ^without pay >LOL
Sorry, no one told me
I will let you know `if I find out, but
please don't hold your breath >
I'm always the last to know
Maybe your email got lost in cyber`space (?)
I know I get lost in CyberSpace > It's so massive &
seems never ending >

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 05-23-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceRider

*Note ^without pay >LOL
Sorry, no one told me
I will let you know `if I find out, but
please don't hold your breath >
I'm always the last to know
Maybe your email got lost in cyber`space (?)
I know I get lost in CyberSpace > It's so massive &
seems never ending >

still nothing in my email. eh what ever lol. if it happens it happens. im not all that worried about it. i dont really care for ebay anyhow. i turn to them as a last resort kinda thing. especially when it comes to selling. there are so many fees.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:09 AM

hey i finally got my email!....bout time. haha!
eBay

IMPORTANT: PASSWORD UPDATE

Dear eBay Member,

To help ensure customers' trust and security on eBay, I am asking all eBay users to change their passwords.

Here's why: Recently, our company discovered a cyberattack on our corporate information network. This attack compromised a database containing eBay user passwords.

What's important for you to know: We have no evidence that your financial information was accessed or compromised. And your password was encrypted.

What I ask of you:
Go to eBay and change your password. If you changed your password on May 21 or later, we do not need you to take any additional action at this time.

Changing your password may be inconvenient. I realize that. We are doing everything we can to protect your data and changing your password is an extra precautionary step, in addition to the other security measures we have in place.

If you have only visited eBay as a guest user, we do not have a password on file.

If you used the same eBay password on any other site, I encourage you to change your password on those sites too. And if you are a PayPal user, we have no evidence that this attack affected your PayPal account or any PayPal financial information, which is encrypted and stored on a separate secure network.

Here are other steps we are taking:
As always, we have strong protections in place for both buyers and sellers in the event of any unauthorized activity on your account.
We are applying additional security to protect our customers.
We are working with law enforcement and leading security experts to aggressively investigate the matter.

Here's what we know: This attack occurred between late February and early March and resulted in unauthorized access to a database of eBay users that includes customers' name, encrypted password, email address, physical address, phone number and date of birth.

However, the file did not contain financial information. And, after conducting extensive testing and analysis of our systems, we have no evidence that any customer financial or credit card information was involved. We also have no indication of a significant spike in fraudulent activity on our site.

We apologize for any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. As a global marketplace, nothing is more important to eBay than the security and trust of our customers. We know our customers have high expectations of us, and we are committed to ensuring a safe and secure online experience for you on any connected device.

Devin Wenig Signature
Devin Wenig
President, eBay Marketplaces