Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

iPhone & 'Droid Phones Hacked

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default iPhone & 'Droid Phones Hacked

Do you think the info on your iPhone or 'Droid phone is safe? Better think again...

NSA can hack data on iPhone, Blackberry and Android phones: report - NY Daily News

Old 09-10-2013, 06:54 AM

4-Sure

Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Anything electronic can be Hacked. Including People. Science Channel, Through the Warhole, Morgan Freeman talks about how scientist are hacking into the human mind and how we all could be living someone else's dreams!
Oh well. I use to like being Me. But now I like being whoever it is I am!

Old 09-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

For as long as telephones existed, they have always been hacked or wire tapped, etc. Back in the old days of switchboard operators. The operators would regularly listen in on people's conversations when they were bored.

In today's world of smartphones being mini home computers, your smart phone can be hacked just as easily as your home computer. It's common knowledge that you shouldn't keep anything on your smart phone that you aren't willing to share with the world. Especially pictures, and passwords and such.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Anything electronic can be Hacked. Including People. Science Channel, Through the Warhole, Morgan Freeman talks about how scientist are hacking into the human mind and how we all could be living someone else's dreams!
Oh well. I use to like being Me. But now I like being whoever it is I am!
People are being 'hacked' all the time. Subliminal advertising, the news, the tv shows and movies you watch and the magazines you read all contain bits of code designed to alter your way of thinking. The problem is most people don't realize this so they are susceptible and vulnerable to the influence:

The Shocking History Of Subliminal Advertising - Business Insider

Originally Posted by Taz
For as long as telephones existed, they have always been hacked or wire tapped, etc. Back in the old days of switchboard operators. The operators would regularly listen in on people's conversations when they were bored.

In today's world of smartphones being mini home computers, your smart phone can be hacked just as easily as your home computer. It's common knowledge that you shouldn't keep anything on your smart phone that you aren't willing to share with the world. Especially pictures, and passwords and such.
Although the common knowledge is there, how many people ignore it and keep sensitive information on their phones anyway? Names, addresses, phone numbers, credit card info, etc. all make prime targets for thieves. One of the more recent ways of hacking is through apps. Since they have free roam of the OS on iPhone, 'Droid and Blackberry phones it is quite easy for them to access everything on the phone. I noticed there was no mention of them being successful at hacking the Windows phone...

Old 09-10-2013, 01:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I noticed there was no mention of them being successful at hacking the Windows phone...
Windows phone was launched in 2010 and this says the thing was 2009

Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Windows phone was launched in 2010 and this says the thing was 2009
The hacking has been an ongoing thing and continues today. 2009 is mentioned because that year they couldn't access all info on the Blackberry:

'...starting in May 2009, intelligence agents were unable to access some information on BlackBerry phones for about a year after the Canadian manufacturer began using a new method to compress the data.'

As long as Apple/Android allow programs to access the root of the OS they will be easy targets. Blackberry recently changed their OS, so they are more difficult for the time being. Windows phones on the other hand do not allow root access. Every program is assigned a specific area or 'sandbox' in which to operate and can not access anything outside of that so it can't snoop and gather info.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Sorry if this offends anyone. But when I hear the name Microsoft Windows, the last thing I think of is safe and secure from hackers.

I'm not a fan of Blackberry. But I'd buy a Blackberry long before I'd ever buy a Windows phone.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:07 PM

I'm with Lou on this one. Windows mobile has a lot in common with Windows 8 (probably on purpose as to simplify development on their part, although a tablet OS on a full computer is rather annoying for me). Because of that, I see windows phones having many of the same security issues as Windows 8 once the hackers shift focus to the new OS. On top of that, I think 8 is a crock of crap anyway.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
Sorry if this offends anyone. But when I hear the name Microsoft Windows, the last thing I think of is safe and secure from hackers.

I'm not a fan of Blackberry. But I'd buy a Blackberry long before I'd ever buy a Windows phone.
No worries, Lou. Someone having a different preference of smartphone certainly isn't worth becoming offended about.

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
I'm with Lou on this one. Windows mobile has a lot in common with Windows 8 (probably on purpose as to simplify development on their part, although a tablet OS on a full computer is rather annoying for me). Because of that, I see windows phones having many of the same security issues as Windows 8 once the hackers shift focus to the new OS. On top of that, I think 8 is a crock of crap anyway.
Although there are some similarities between the GUI on the Windows desktop, tablet and phone they are not the same. The hacks that have been successful on the desktop OS have not compromised the tablet or phone OS. Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but I think if the people assuming the OS is not secure would research the subject they'd find that their assumption is unfounded. The fact is Apple and Android phones have been successfully hacked for years. The first Windows mobile OS was problematic, but the 7 and 8 versions use a different OS and (to my knowledge) have not been hacked.

Quick Reply: iPhone & 'Droid Phones Hacked