Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> I'm Depressed, are you ? <

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy > I'm Depressed, are you ? <

Depression Health Center...So many post & say they are bored or depressed Maybe the below will help someone ? There is help out there 'if you want it? ?? The web has many resources that may help ? Wish you the reader a happy life...It's out there, don't give up 4>Sure... Member's, if you have a good source on this topic ? > Please post it > Thank You!

Overview & Facts

Do you suffer with depression? Maybe you’ve recently been diagnosed or are a caregiver to someone with depression. Learn more about this common mood disorder, including depression causes, risk factors, and prevention. We’ll help you take control of your depression and live an active, healthy life.
Depression Facts

What Is Depression? <Click
Want to learn all about depression? Find answers as you read about this common mood disorder – depression -- that affects adults, teens, and kids alike.

Childhood Depression <Click
Depression affects children in different ways, and sometimes it’s misdiagnosed. Learn more about childhood depression and what you can do to help your child.

Teen Depression < Click

Discover the symptoms of teen depression. Teen depression can be masked by adolescent hormones, so learn when to call the doctor for a medical evaluation.

Depression and Other Mental Disorders < Click
Learn about other mental health problems that may co-exist with depression, including anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and panic disorder. Discover the signs, symptoms, and causes.

Causes

Causes of Depression < Click
Learn more about what causes depression, including the genetic link, so you can seek treatment before depression robs you of your quality of life.
Continue reading below...

Medicines That Cause Depression < Click
Be sure to read about medicines that can cause symptoms of depression. Then talk with your doctor about your concerns if you’re taking one of these medicines.

Depression, Thyroid, and Hormones < Click
Learn about thyroid-related depression and about other hormone-related conditions such as menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause that are often associated with depression.

Depression Caused by Chronic Illness < Click
Many people with chronic illness experience depression. Learn more about the symptoms of depression with chronic illnesses, available treatment options, and tips for coping with chronic illness and depression.

Depression and Chronic Pain < Click
Discover more about chronic pain and depression, and learn how your doctor might treat your pain and depression symptoms.

Grief and Depression < Click
Grief is a normal feeling after any type of major loss. Find out more about grief -- the symptoms and causes -- and what to do if grief is prolonged.

Are You at Risk?

Depression: Are You at Risk? < Click (R.U. ?)
Learn what increases your chances of having depression. Discover ways to protect you and your family from suffering with depression symptoms.

Prevention

Preventing Depression < Click 4.Sure
Looking for ways to prevent depression? Discover lifestyle habits that may keep your mood boosted along with medications that effectively treat depression symptoms.

Tools & Resources

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 10-21-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Question Rate your Risk for Depression <

How Can I Know my Risk for Depression ?

Talk to your doctor about your personal risk for depression. You can also measure your risk factors for depression with WebMD's tool
> Click > Rate Your Risk for Depression. < Click

Old 10-20-2013, 01:15 PM

Yes, I suffer from depression and have for three years. I'm only 20. I see professionals that I have trusted and formed relationships with from a young age. I also have finally found the medication that works for me. Depression is definitely a very serious physiological mental illness. Don't let anyone tell you what you're going through is not legitimate. Most importantly, you are not alone. The MCF is a family.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Cool ^ Thank You ^

Hi 'Tyler & thanks for your post & honesty 4>Sure. It's great that you found a professional that you trust & that has helped you .

To me it's like any other health issue that prevents a person from enjoying life to the fullest. I believe a person is wise to seek help along their journey of life to be able to extract the most from every day.

Many reports states that one in ten have problems with 'depression. I thought it was higher, or I just have contact with many in the outside world that seems depressed & not happy in their life.

I'm depressed, because I see so many that are depressed & wish/pray that they seek out the help that is available for them! Seek & you shall find > Life can be happy or happier then it is 4>Real...

Below is additional information that may help those that want to know more on this topic.

Stats and Facts About Depression in America

About 9 percent of American adults from all walks of life suffer from some form of depression. Learn more depression facts and figures that can help you better understand this widespread condition.

By Chris Iliades, MD
Medically reviewed by Pat F. Bass III, MD, MPH

According to depression statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 9 percent of adult Americans have feelings of hopelessness, despondency, and/or guilt that generate a diagnosis of depression. At any given time, about 3 percent of adults have major depression, also known as major depressive disorder, a long-lasting and severe form of depression. In fact, major depression is the leading cause of disability for Americans between the ages of 15 and 44, according to the CDC. Understanding these very real depression statistics helps paint a fuller picture of the impact of depression in America.

Prevalence of Depression in Men vs. Women

According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), the largest scientific organization dedicated to mental health issues, women are 70 percent more likely than men to experience depression during the course of their lifetimes. Research has shown that this is in part due to hormones. Depression risk goes up for women after pregnancy, during menstruation, and during menopause. Another reason for higher recorded numbers among women? They are more likely to seek help and be diagnosed. "Men are more likely to try to self-medicate with drugs or alcohol, whereas women are more likely to seek help from friends and family or psychiatrists," explains Carole Lieberman, MD, a psychiatrist, author, and member of the clinical faculty at the University of California at Los Angeles Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior.
The Rising Rate of Depression

Statistical trends related to depression are hard to come by, but most experts agree that depression rates in the United States and worldwide are increasing. Studies show that rates of depression for Americans have risen dramatically in the past 50 years. Research published inThe American Journal of Psychiatry found that major depression rates for American adults increased from 3.33 percent to 7.06 percent from 1991 through 2002. Depression is also considered a worldwide epidemic, with 5 percent of the global population suffering from the condition, according to the World Health Organization.
Depression Comes in Different Forms

"People who have stressors in their life that make them feel hopeless and helpless are more likely to become depressed," says Dr. Lieberman. However, she notes that "there are many different types of depression, from the garden-variety sad mood to major psychotic depression."

Major depression is defined as a severely depressed mood that goes on for two weeks or more, interfering with a person’s daily functions. Other types of depression include:
  • Dysthymia. This is a type of minor but chronic depression that lasts two years or longer. Dysthymia affects about 1.5 percent of American adults.
  • Postpartum depression. This form of depression affects about 10 to 15 percent of women shortly after childbirth.
  • Seasonal affective disorder (SAD). This type of depression usually occurs during winter months and is probably caused by lack of natural sunlight. SAD affects 4 to 6 percent of Americans and is more common the farther north you live.
  • Bipolar disorder. This condition involves moods that cycle between depression and extreme excitability, called mania. Bipolar disorder affects about 2.6 percent of American adults.
  • Psychotic depression. This type of depression is the most severe form and includes breaks with reality, such as hallucinations or delusions. It is less common than other forms of depression; according to one study, psychotic depression occurs in about 5 percent of people who suffer from major depression.
The Prevalence of Depression in Combination With Other Conditions

Many conditions may coexist with depression. Depression may increase the risk for another illness, and dealing with an illness may lead to depression. "Depression is anger turned inward toward the self," explains Lieberman. "This anger is self-destructive and therefore harmful to the body." In fact, according to the NIMH, depression affects:
  • More than 40 percent of those with post-traumatic stress disorder
  • 25 percent of those who have cancer
  • 27 percent of those with substance abuse problems
  • 50 percent of those with Parkinson's disease
  • 50 to 75 percent of those who have an eating disorder
  • 33 percent of those who've had a heart attack
Depression, Marriage, and Divorce
Many studies have found that being divorced, separated, or widowed is closely linked to depression. The loss of a marriage may lead to depression, or depression may lead to loss of a marriage. A 2000/2001 study published in the journal Depression and Anxiety that analyzed depression statistics from the Canadian National Population Health Survey found that major depression doubled a person's chance of becoming divorced or separated.

The NIMH also notes that:
  • Married women are more likely to be depressed than unmarried women.
  • Married men are less likely to be depressed than unmarried men.
  • Unhappily married women are three times more likely to be depressed than unhappily married men.
In other words, marriage seems to create a protective buffer against depression for men, but not for women.
Prevalence of Depression by Race and Age
Race seems to make a difference in the prevalence of depression, but the difference depends on the statistics you look at. According to the NIMH, African-Americans have a lower lifetime risk of depression than whites. But according to a 2010 study by the CDC, African-Americans have the highest rate of current depression (12.8 percent), followed by Hispanics (11.4 percent), and whites (7.9 percent).

The average age for a person to be diagnosed with depression is 32. Those diagnosed between the ages of 18 and 24, when there's a 10.9 percent rate of depression, are at the greatest risk for self-harm. The depression rate drops to 6.8 percent among those age 65 and older, however, suicide rates in elderly men are higher than other age groups, perhaps due to untreated depression and other illnesses.

Americans With Depression: How Does Your State Fare?
According to the CDC, where you live has an effect on your risk of depression. This may reflect other influences on depression, such as access to health care in the area, the population’s education level, and opportunity for employment. Among the states surveyed by the CDC in 2010, those with the highest levels of depression are Alabama, Mississippi, and West Virginia. By contrast, North Dakota, Minnesota, Alaska, and Iowa have the lowest depression rates. The prevalence of depression ranges from 4.8 percent in North Dakota to 14.8 percent in Mississippi.

Depression and Suicide

Depression is involved in more than two-thirds of the 30,000 suicides that occur in the United States every year. For every two homicides, there are three suicides. "Elderly men may feel especially hopeless when their bodies break down with illness because it can destroy their sense of masculinity," says Lieberman. That may be why the highest suicide rate among Americans is in white men who are 85 or older, many of whom may have a depressive illness.
So what do all these depression statistics tell us about Americans with depression? Perhaps the key take-away is that depression is a powerful condition affecting many. If you have symptoms of depression, you are not alone and help is available. The earlier you start treatment, the more likely you are to get a handle on the condition. The best defense against depression may very well be knowledge and awareness.

Last Updated: 09/23/2013
This section created and produced exclusively by the editorial staff of EverydayHealth.com. © 2013 EverydayHealth.com; all rights reserved.
More on Depression

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 10-21-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Lightbulb Everyone needs Help > Sometime 4>Sure <

"Love the ones you Love"
Love 'Life
Never be afraid to ask for HELP!
Never give 'up
HOPE
Peace & Happiness to
YOU

Old 10-22-2013, 07:29 PM

Most times I feel depressed. I'm not diagnosed with it or anything, but it feels like I am. It hit the hardest while I was deployed. Some days it was hard to wake up and go to work. Even now I still deal with it. It doesn't help that I'm a loner.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by jdmew
Most times I feel depressed. I'm not diagnosed with it or anything, but it feels like I am. It hit the hardest while I was deployed. Some days it was hard to wake up and go to work. Even now I still deal with it. It doesn't help that I'm a loner.

Hi `James & thanks for your posts/words. Also, thanks again for your service to our country. You are not alone 4-Sure and I hope that you can use all the resources available to you in the U.S. Army. Wish you the best in life.

Check out the below link > I hope it may help ?
Army Behavioral Health
^ Click

^Welcome to Army Behavioral Health ^
When our Soldiers return home, most will experience a brief readjustment period and a successful home transition. Some will need short or long-term counseling to assist in their transition. Explore this Web site especially for Soldiers, Families, and friends. Learn how to adjust, cope, get ready to deploy, transition to return home, and other information and sources.
Army Behavioral Health Vision
Our efforts in education, prevention, and early treatment are unprecedented. Our goal is to ensure that every deployed and returning Soldier receives the health care they need.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 10-23-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 AM
Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I fought depression from 17-24 years old. I don't know what changed one day i just thought i don't wanna do that anymore.
One main thing i did was i started caring about my needs instead of everyone elses. I stopped listening to the "You should's" others were saying and just did my own thing.
And i havn't been depressed for over a year now i am actually really happy where i life is!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47
I fought depression from 17-24 years old. I don't know what changed one day i just thought i don't wanna do that anymore.
One main thing i did was i started caring about my needs instead of everyone elses. I stopped listening to the "You should's" others were saying and just did my own thing.
And i havn't been depressed for over a year now i am actually really happy where i life is!

Thanks `Devin for sharing 4>Sure. I'm happy that you found what works for you. I hope that everyone can find what works for them...Life is so much better if one is happy in life. It's out there 'if we don't stop searching or giving `up.

^ What consumes your `Mind, consumes your `Life.