Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

I need some advice on my legal troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010 | 02:59 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
10 Year Member
Default I need some advice on my legal troubles...

I'm pretty sure i mentioned it on here awhile back, but im not sure in which thred, anyways in the last days of may or first few of july i got arrested for drag racing in a county roughly 200 miles away from where i live, had to spend the night in jail, got bailed out. Ive been doin some research on my state laws and racing is a class B misdemeanor here, up to 180 days in jail and or a fine not to exceed $2000. Theres also a chance i could lose my license and car. I can't afford a decent lawyer so im sticking with the court appointed. I'm sure some of yall have been in this situation before so im wondering if ti would be better to plead not guilty and hope the officer doesnt show up, or plead guilty and explain that what i was doing was irresponsible and i could have hurt myself and the other people on the road. Sadly enough i could probably claim i was drunk and didnt realize my spped, seeing as a first charge of DUI here is suspended license for 6 months and 12 weeks of safety courses..... You guys got any advice???

PS please dont debadge your car if its fast, if i would have known it was a cobra SVT i wouldnt have even messed with it...

Old 07-30-2010 | 04:05 PM
15 Year Member

Your last part made me laugh, but i am sorry to hear your predicament.
It's a tough choice, odds are that cop may not show, but who knows.
In my own experience, no cop has ever shown up, but it was nothing major like yours.
Good luck, hopefully someone else can chime in, in detail to help you out bud.

Old 07-30-2010 | 04:19 PM
15 Year Member

I definitely don't think I'd bet my fate on a cop not showing- especially to something a little bigger like that.

Not to say I've ever been in the situation; but if you were doing it- I'd just admit to it and be fully honest- you're bound to get some points for that; especially if they think they scared you into learning a lesson from it.

Old 07-30-2010 | 04:27 PM
15 Year Member

Have you even spoken to your public pretender? What are they offering you first of all, do you even know? Have you priced an attorney or just saying you can’t afford one? For this, the COP will most likely show up, it’s a class B misdemeanor.

Let me know,

DO NOT ADMIT GUILT until you see if/what deal they will offer you...They will send you a plea deal, if you find it reasonable take it, if not go to court but get a proper attorney....They might throw some community service in and license restrictions. If there is a big problem with street racing in that area they might be hard on you….

And I’m sorry, but admitting you did wrong and being honest does not always help in court, trust me…That’s not to say lie, but there is no need to divulge information when it only hurts you…

Last edited by Mac7504; 07-30-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2010 | 04:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Lawyer up is all I can say. Buy, borrow, steal, or sell, do what it takes to lawyer up.

Old 07-30-2010 | 04:38 PM
15 Year Member

I second that...Except for the stealing...lol WTF.^^^^ But times are hard for some....

Some attorneys will work a payment plan so please consider that...

Old 07-30-2010 | 04:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As stated do not leave the fate to the cop not showing up, they do all the time by me, even on the most minor traffic offense...and they come prepared, I believe they also get in trouble if they do not show....

I do not think saying you were DUI would help you in any way shape or form so I would stay clear of that completely...

I would agree about getting a good lawyer or at least pricing one....over all could be cheaper then 1.) losing your car 2.) going to jail for an extended period of time.

Also, take a driver's class by you, ussually 6 hour classes reduce your insurance, take up to 4 points off your license, and can show good faith to the judge

Best of luck,
Joe

Old 07-30-2010 | 04:42 PM
15 Year Member

^^^ Good thinking man right there...

Old 07-30-2010 | 04:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Originally Posted by Montess2k
As stated do not leave the fate to the cop not showing up, they do all the time by me, even on the most minor traffic offense...and they come prepared, I believe they also get in trouble if they do not show....
My cop still showed up after 15 years.

Old 07-30-2010 | 04:56 PM
15 Year Member

I’ve had a cop not show up to court but the judge requested I return stating; “Criminal case supersedes traffic case”, I retained my attorney’s services for $500.00 and boom no ticket, no points…Well worth it in my opinion, save more than that in insurance premiums and ticket fees. You see it’s all about loopholes, my right to a speedy trial was violated, or so my attorney argued and proved. : )))

Quick Reply: I need some advice on my legal troubles...