Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

How to Visit the Junk Yard Properly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

something my dad tought me, find the part you want, and figure out what you want to pay for it. (EX. a set of clutch pedals, you want 'em for $10-20) take everything but $25 out of you're wallet, and make sure what's left is all small bills (1's, 5's, 10's). stuff the rest in you're other pocket. if it's an old school type yard, the owner will try to haggle with you, probibly start around $50, give him a low blow of $15, let him come back higher, then tell him the best you can do is $20, show him you're wallet is just about empty, they usually fold after that.

if you've got a buddie with you, you could also give him you're extra cash and "borrow" some off of him if you need to.

it also helps a suprising amount if you don't show up in somthing flashy, if you've got access to one an old beater car or truck is the way to go.

always stop in the office before you step foot in the yard, let them know what you're looking for, and if you find what you want stop back at the office and ask before you remove it from the vehicle, make sure it's not something they have already sold or were "saving".

of course, alot of yards today have set price lists, take inventory, and pull the parts for you, you never set foot in the yard or see the part untill it's on the counter, takes alot of the fun out of it.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by skylark65
It also helps a suprising amount if you don't show up in somthing flashy, if you've got access to one an old beater car or truck is the way to go.
THIS. I probably shouldn't show up in my bright yellow Monte. Not that it was expensive, but it sure does make people believe that lol.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

yes, so my monte with its missing door trim and peeling clear coat should be good the only yard i visited i was there for about 1 minute after they had no 5th gens. No looking around, probably a yard where they pull. But theres others in my area i'd have to try.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
I was also wondering the same thing. The few times I go to the local yard they look up on their computer if they have what I'm looking for. Most of the time the answers no and goodbye. I'd like to be able to at least be taken into the yard and look, but it seems like since I'm younger they discredit me. Which is sad because 90% of the time I have to go into great detail to explain a simple part and they still dont understand what it is. To me it makes them look unqualified for the job.
That's probably not it at all. You need to go to a yard that allows you to actually go in their yard. Most don't because of liability issues and insurance reasons.

Just follow the junkyards rules... usually they're pretty easy, don't steal and don't ruin their stuff that doesn't need to be ruined.

Also, there's one around here that doesn't let you take parts off like a shift ****, they want you to keep that all as one, if they realize you're new, they'll more than likely tell you that and those parts will be labeled.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
THIS. I probably shouldn't show up in my bright yellow Monte. Not that it was expensive, but it sure does make people believe that lol.
i won't even take my monte to the junkyard, and it's fairly beat up. just looks too good from far away

Old 08-01-2012, 04:54 PM

the salvage yards i have around me montes get striped quick i mean quick. hay leprechan what gen do you have i might have seen a couple of older ones no one tutched yet i think it is yours and the first gen that went to front wheel drive. i am not sure what gen you have is it the lumina front clip type or newer? i could find you a part that your looking for

Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
Now THAT'S a response! Thanks so much for the valuable information.
You are welcome.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:05 AM
Default Re:How to Visit the Junk Yard Properly?

Here's some advice before you go down to the junk yard with your vehicle:

1. Look up the yellow pages and locate the junk yards in your town. Next, call each junk yard and explain the kind of vehicle you wish to sell. Include all information about type/make/model of the car and if its damaged in any way.
2. Compare all the offers the junk yard owners make you and carefully compare all of them. Put your negotiating skills on and negotiate a high price! If the vehicle is in a driveable condition, okay! But if its not, don't forget to factor in the cost needed to tow it till the junk yard.
3. Prepare your vehicle before taking it down to the junk yard. Remove all personal belongings and accessories. Drain the fluids the gas, oil, and the coolant.
4. When you take it to the junk yard, the personnel might carry out an inspection of your vehicle. You should have the cars title and your driving license ready. If the vehicle is pretty much in the condition you described and you're ready to accept the price offered, signing on the required documents and receiving the business check should be fairly easy and quick.
5. Interestingly, some people take out the catalytic converter, radiator, the battery, and even sell it on eBay before selling the vehicle to a junk yard!A good place to sell your car would be the SIMS facility. They have recycling centers all over the US so find out if there's one in your town. I recently traded my battery down car with them not so long ago for a good price, so I thought Id suggest you look them up! Good luck with your vehicle!

Last edited by maryannbeer; 08-27-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 08-27-2013, 05:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
Default Dubs

If you find a yard with Montes, Impalas, Grand Prixs Let me know. There are No parts cars on this side ofjJersey. And Hunts Point only sells the Big Parts.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Honestly I think it depends on the place. I have been to more laidback ones and some more strict ones with different rules. Just always best to call first and see how they run theirs.