Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

How to Visit the Junk Yard Properly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default How to Visit the Junk Yard Properly?

Hey MCF, I was conversing with Chibi about this when he suggested a thread be made. Great idea! Let's get some opinions/experiences!

So what would be the proper way to head to the junk yard for the young Monte Carlo lad? There just so happens to be two quite literally across the street from our condo association, and I've been meaning to get there for some time. However, I don't know if I should bring my own tools (and what tools to bring), if I should bring wads of cash, how I should bargain with the owners to get the crazy deals you guys get, etc.... If you have any suggestions, please enlighten us!

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 PM

I'll start to help the DubStep'er

1. Go to the Junk/salvage yard & visit first...Walk around & see what they have that you may need, or if they have it.

2. Check 2 C if they have dogs & if they are mean dogs

3. Exit yard, return in the middle of the night with dog food & tools
4. Remove the parts U need & run. (LOL)
5. Don't do any of the above but I hope it gets your thread moving Good Luck `Tyler ========================================
Click the below link: My contributions

How to Buy a Part at the Junkyard
Click above

Last edited by Space; 07-31-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:29 PM

I was also wondering the same thing. The few times I go to the local yard they look up on their computer if they have what I'm looking for. Most of the time the answers no and goodbye. I'd like to be able to at least be taken into the yard and look, but it seems like since I'm younger they discredit me. Which is sad because 90% of the time I have to go into great detail to explain a simple part and they still dont understand what it is. To me it makes them look unqualified for the job.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year

I go to U-pull yards, i have my tools in a backpack which makes it easier to carry. screw drivers.. sockets ratchets and extensions and some pliers. thats basically all i ever need lol
and always try and talk them down on the price they give you, works all the time for me

Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM

This is why I stick with Pull-A-Part and places like that. You just go in, check for whatever car, you go through, find the car, pull it yourself come back up, pay and leave. You bring your own tools too.

Some junkyards are more permissive than others. Some do all the removal for you, so you can't damage other parts, which is what most people do at U-Pull yards (I know I wrecked some leather seats trying to get a piece off the lower mount - the seats couldn't have been sold anyways, they were s*** so I didn't really think it'd hurt).

Some places will remove the large part and then make you take the rest apart. For example, if I needed seats tracks, they'll pull the whole seat from the car and then make you take the tracks off.

Or some junk yards let you go at it - some junkyards are nicer than others - we went to some back in the day down in Canton where my dad grew up and these cars, you'd have to take a shovel to dig them out of the mud just to open the doors, since they'd just drop them on the rotors.

Don't be surprised, if you're looking for a small part (like a small piece off the seat tracks for example) that they won't let you get it, because you'd basically make the seats unsellable, so they might want you to buy the whole seat.

Best thing to do, is call them on the phone first, see what they say to you, if they sound decent, if they're willing to help, etc. On the phone they can only guess who you are and how old, so they probably won't give you as hard of a time if you're younger.

If you're trying to make a deal with someone, bring cash...always. If you can get into a conversation with the guy and get him comfortable with you, he'll be more willing (usually) to deal with you and if you have cash he might let you off with a cheaper rate because he may just pocket the cash and won't ring the order up. Now at chains like Pull-A-Part the wheel and deal is almost always out, but at mom and pop style yards you'll be able to get away with more.

Last edited by Mike 00LS; 07-30-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:48 PM

I like the pick a part places.....you can wonder around and find other parts on other 3800 platform cars.

We also have the " what part do you need?...you aint getting in the yard" places too,
but they generally will let you look with no tools. The main reason for the "they pull it" places is to limit theft and also limit damage to parts.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I go to afew junk yards , A friend of mine know's the owner of one so he can take his cutting torch in an use it.., Most have a set price ..
sometimes they ask what it came off of I tell them I found it on ground
then he looks at it an say's $3 , I take some tools in a bucket..

Old 07-30-2012, 06:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not even sure of we have any yards that will let people look anymore. Most of the good yards IMO cashed out when scrap was so high a few years back. When I used to go I would take a tool set in a molded case. That way I knew if I left anything behind.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:14 AM

I worked in salvage yards for close to twenty years. This would be my advice to everyone. Try to do some research before heading to a salvage yard. Most yards use the Hollander Interchange system. If you are getting lots of parts or are restoring a car, go onto eBay or Amazon and buy a Hollander Interchange Manual that includes your car. The Hollander includes interchanges for a ten year range of cars. It is helpful if you show up with the interchange of the parts you are looking for. Mitchell Manuals also published interchange manuals. Both are very reliable but not perfect.

Treat everyone with respect. Some of the requirements to work in a salvage yard are attention to detail, and skill in removing parts. There are some people working there because they have no social skills but that is the exception and not the norm.

Follow their rules. Not every car there is junk or for parts. Many salvage yards also have other businesses such as body shops, repair shops, towing and recovery, car sales. Many yards have areas or cars that are off limits.

Keep a safe distance from heavy equipment. The operator of the loader has limited site. Assume that he doesn't see you. When on or around the cars remember safety first. Salvage yards are very dangerous places. Make sure that when jacking a car that the jack and mounting areas are secure. Don't climb under a car if it is only sitting on a jack.
Don't climb onto a pile of cars. They may not be stable.

Pay attention to details and your surrounding. Oftenly if you see bee or wasps flying around a nest is near. Animals oftenly make their homes in cars especially one that has been in the same place for a long period of time. Assume there is a rat or snake under that car seat until you prove there isn't.

Ask before you remove any part. Get a price and don't ruin the sale of a large part while getting a small part.

Clean up after yourself. Don't leave parts on the ground or on top of the car. Put parts that you removed but are not taking inside the car or the trunk. If you opened a window, door, hood or trunk, close it before you leave. Keep the other parts safe from rain and snow. Don't damage other parts when getting the parts you seek. Don't cut wiring harnesses, etc.

If the yard allows you to pull your own parts, bring your own tools. Bring cash. Be prepared to drag your parts home. Bring plastic, blankets, rope, etc to protect your car and your parts.

Remember also that this is a business you are dealing with and not the city dump. The salvage yard may have been given the car that you are getting parts from, however salvage yards also have a high cost of doing business. EPA rules are making salvage yards more restrictive and their costs continue to escalate. That isn't to mention taxes, cost of land, buildings, tow trucks, loaders, car crushers, and other tools and equipment.

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 08-01-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
I worked in salvage yards for close to twenty years. This would be my advice to everyone. Try to do some research before heading to a salvage yard. Most yards use the Hollander Interchange system. If you are getting lots of parts or are restoring a car, go onto eBay or Amazon and buy a Hollander Interchange Manual that includes your car. The Hollander includes interchanges for a ten year range of cars. It is helpful if you show up with the interchange of the parts you are looking for. Mitchell Manuals also published interchange manuals. Both are very reliable but not perfect.

Treat everyone with respect. Some of the requirements to work in a salvage yard are attention to detail, and skill in removing parts. There are some people working there because they have no social skills but that is the exception and not the norm.

Follow their rules. Not every car there is junk or for parts. Many salvage yards also have other businesses such as body shops, repair shops, towing and recovery, car sales. Many yards have areas or cars that are off limits.

Keep a safe distance from heavy equipment. The operator of the loader has limited site. Assume that he doesn't see you. When on or around the cars remember safety first. Salvage yards are very dangerous places. Make sure that when jacking a car that the jack and mounting areas are secure. Don't climb under a car if it is only sitting on a jack.
Don't climb onto a pile of cars. They may not be stable.

Pay attention to details and your surrounding. Oftenly if you see bee or wasps flying around a nest is near. Animals oftenly make their homes in cars especially one that has been in the same place for a long period of time. Assume there is a rat or snake under that car seat until you prove there isn't.

Ask before you remove any part. Get a price and don't ruin the sale of a large part while getting a small part.

Clean up after yourself. Don't leave parts on the ground or on top of the car. Put parts that you removed but are not taking inside the car or the trunk. If you opened a window, door, hood or trunk, close it before you leave. Keep the other parts safe from rain and snow. Don't damage other parts when getting the parts you seek. Don't cut wiring harnesses, etc.

If the yard allows you to pull your own parts, bring your own tools. Bring cash. Be prepared to drag your parts home. Bring plastic, blankets, rope, etc to protect your car and your parts.

Remember also that this is a business you are dealing with and not the city dump. The salvage yard may have been given the car that you are getting parts from, however salvage yards also have a high cost of doing business. EPA rules are making salvage yards more restrictive and their costs continue to escalate. That isn't to mention taxes, cost of land, buildings, tow trucks, loaders, car crushers, and other tools and equipment.
Now THAT'S a response! Thanks so much for the valuable information.

Quick Reply: How to Visit the Junk Yard Properly?