New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Member - Don't Even Have The SS Yet :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New Member - EDIT: Just got the SS today!!

Hello Monte People

I thought I should join and chime in so I can get to know the newer Monte and the members here. I'm also on FGMCC.com.
I have a nice 1972 Monte Carlo that stays in the garage for the most part, but will cruise quite often this year...I fell in love with the '72 Monte just 2 years ago, and finally figured out that the Monte was the type of car I really like (American, 2-door, V8, comfortable, good looks, etc.) - took me 20 years to figure it out, but why not make up for it with 2 Montes? I do wish they both had RWD...But, I'll take what I can get. I'll be quite pleased to have a First Generation MC and a Last Generation MC in the garage

I also had a new 2004 GTO, but sold it shortly after driving it through one Chicago winter with 350hp & RWD. Never again

Before choosing the '06-'07 Monte, I had my heart set on a 2003-2004 Cadillac Seville SLS/STS. Super nice cars, found nice ones for $10k or less, but getting old and expensive to repair.

A 2006-2007 Monte SS (Silver with Black Leather) will be my daily driver. I've decided on the last generation Monte because I can finally get a V8 in a newer, nice looking American 2-door that won't break the bank. I know it should be RWD, but I'll take a V8 anyway I can. Torque steer can be figured out

Now, I need to fiind the right SS within a few weeks

Last edited by SSilver; 05-02-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:44 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Welcome to the site - I am from the Chicago area too. I live up north in Lake county. They have an 06 or 07 Silver SS at Libertyville Chevy. (At least they still had it on there lot about 2 weeks ago). Try Auto Trader - that's were I found most of my prospects before I settled on my silver 05 SS. I just bought that in Schaumburg from a dealer about 3 months ago. BTW we also have a 72 Monte - triple black. It has won many shows but it's not a garage queen. It gets driven and we have lots of fun taking it to the cruise nights - I have some pics of it in my gallery.

Last edited by AwesomeSS; 04-16-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to our little slice of the net.

Congrats on owning a first gen Monte. Very rare now. As you are already aware.

Good luck on finding the right newer Monte. There shouldn't be too much of a problem finding one. I see them on lots all the time.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 PM

I looked for a silver one for a while before settling for a black one. Welcome, and enjoy the torque steer, it's fun.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by AwsomeSS
Welcome to the site - I am from the Chicago area too. I live up north in Lake county. They have an 06 or 07 Silver SS at Libertyville Chevy. (At least they still had it on there lot about 2 weeks ago).
I think that's the same one I've been really thinking about for the past week or so. I'll Probably take a ride up there on Saturday. It's a 2006 SS, 19k miles, one-owner, Certified...I'll need to get them down from that $17,999 price before I get too excited - if not , there will be others

What would be a fair price assuming the car is pretty much mint? And it is Certified...

Old 04-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

welcome to the forum!! we want to see pics of the 72!!!

i'm with amy, check out autotrader.com. that's where i found my car (actually found 2 of them within 100 miles). you should be able to find a lot of MC ss's to choose from. good luck with your search and let us know how you make out!

...and until then tell us more about the '72!!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2006 Silver Monte SS
I think that's the same one I've been really thinking about for the past week or so. I'll Probably take a ride up there on Saturday. It's a 2006 SS, 19k miles, one-owner, Certified...I'll need to get them down from that $17,999 price before I get too excited - if not , there will be others

What would be a fair price assuming the car is pretty much mint? And it is Certified...
I had a little trouble with the 05 getting the used car salesmen down to the price I thought I should pay. I settled for my 05 for 10k because it had more miles than I originally wanted (60K) and since it was a highway car it has tons of rock chips on the front of the hood and bumper (which I am going to get fixed eventually).
I would try and get them down at least 2k off the asking price, 18k is a bit high. A couple of guys here just bought their 06 SS's here local, but I'm not sure what they paid.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by ChevySSGirl
welcome to the forum!! we want to see pics of the 72!!!

i'm with amy, check out autotrader.com. that's where i found my car (actually found 2 of them within 100 miles). you should be able to find a lot of MC ss's to choose from. good luck with your search and let us know how you make out!

...and until then tell us more about the '72!!
The car is still a work in progress, but here is it pretty much up to date - The Cardomain link is here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2671039

This weekend, my buddy and I plan on finishing up a number of things on the '72 "to-do-list". Just a bunch of hooking important things up, all of the time consuming finishing touches But in the end, will be well worth the 455lb-ft of torque the 383 produces . That's alot of ***** for a street cruiser...

So you see, that's why I'm not really in need of a RWD 400hp daily driver I just want something will let me hear my favorite sound in the world - a nice V8 with a good exhaust...every day.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2006 Silver Monte SS
I'm not really in need of a RWD 400hp daily driver
Are you kidding? I need at least that just to get to work on time.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by AwsomeSS
I had a little trouble with the 05 getting the used car salesmen down to the price I thought I should pay. I settled for my 05 for 10k because it had more miles than I originally wanted (60K) and since it was a highway car it has tons of rock chips on the front of the hood and bumper (which I am going to get fixed eventually).
I would try and get them down at least 2k off the asking price, 18k is a bit high. A couple of guys here just bought their 06 SS's here local, but I'm not sure what they paid.
I agree, $18k is a bit high, understandably the car is in the top tier....I will hope for $16k or so, as you said.

I was recently able to get an $18,000 2005 GTO down to $15,500, doing the entire negtiation via e-mail

Quick Reply: New Member - Don't Even Have The SS Yet :)