Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

hit and run 1/2 mile from my house...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry hit and run 1/2 mile from my house...

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...010321/-1/NEWS

By Beth Brelje
Pocono Record Writer
July 01, 2010 With no sidewalks, the streets become a playground for children in the private Bushkill community of Pine Ridge. On Saturday, that practice resulted in injury when Chelsea Mangum, 12, of Murphy Circle, was struck by a hit-and-run driver in a red car.

Chelsea had been walking with her little sister Kerri, 4, who was riding her bicycle when the red car knocked Chelsea over about three doors down from her house.

It happened around 3:30 p.m., when neighbor Lori Leroux was sitting on her deck. Leroux heard a car blowing a horn; she looked, and saw Chelsea lying in the middle of the road.

Leroux ran to assist the girl, while at the same time the little sister went back to her house to tell her mother, Kim Mangum, what happened.

"She said, 'Mommy, Chelsea's laying in the street. She's dead and won't wake up,'" recalled Kim Mangum.

"I thought she was joking. I called Chelsea on the cell phone three times. She didn't answer."

The worried mother ran to the street and found Leroux assisting her daughter. An ambulance had already been called.

Chelsea's leg was bent up behind her, and she was in and out of consciousness, according to Leroux. She later told her mother she could hear everyone talking but couldn't respond. She was taken to Pocono Medical Center for injuries to her hip and knee.

Mangum is upset that the driver did not stop. She says the driver should be held accountable for the incident, which is still under investigation by the state police at Blooming Grove.

Mangum has been asking Pine Ridge for "children at play" signs on Murphy Circle for a year. Ten to 15 kids typically play on the street. One child is hearing impaired, two others have special needs.

Neighbor Bill Cameron and another neighbor asked for signs and speed bumps 20 years ago.

"They said, 'We'll look into it.' That's their run-of-the-mill answer to everything," Cameron said.

His solution was to draw a green line on his driveway and instruct little ones they were not allowed to get closer to the street than that line.

His son is grown now, but Cameron is still concerned for other kids in the neighborhood and the effects speeders have on his property.

"Every year we have one or two cars in our front yard because of the bend in the road," he said. Last year a Pine Ridge dump truck driving too fast for the curve lost half its load — big rocks — in Cameron's driveway.

Pine Ridge placed three "children at play" signs up on Murphy Circle and is considering speed bumps there, according to Community Manager Bonnie Sipley.

The board of directors has been working on a stricter speeding policy with higher penalties.

"We are concerned because there is a lot of speeding through here," said Sipley. "Even with the speed bumps, they fly over them."

---------------------

this whole thing aggravates me, because it really shows how dim the people i call neighbors really are. i love how concernd the girl's mother was when her other daughter came and told her her sister was dead. the mother "called the daughter's cell phone 3 times before investigating" ? wtf is that, it happened not even 25 feet from your sofa! go CHECK IT OUT!! then the auther says that the kids play in the street because there are no sidewalks.... no, they play there because they are morons and their parents are too careless to give a crap. there is a wide shoulder for them to walk off onto when cars come ( i do it all the freekin time) but they just stay in the road in front of the traffic.

the only person with a brain in that article is Mr. Camaron and mrs leroux. i've known the camarons forever, and yes the line on the driveway was the "law". if the other girls parents really gave a crap they would do something similar, or at least tell their kids to GET OUTTA THE DAMN TRAFFIC!

Old 07-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Wow. that is so sad.....

Old 07-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Ryan, that is typical, but also very sad! I hear stuff like this everyday where I live. just very hard to deal with and on top of all that the daily shootings here in Pittsburgh

Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

That totally sux man. I really hope they find the person responsible.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:40 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Unbelieveable story.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:39 AM

..Hi `Ryan, I just read your post & it's a BuzzKill 4-Sure : (

It's sad that some people on planet `Earth are ignorant/lazy and don't properly care for their children...It's a very sad story that's repeated daily in our world I honestly believe that some people should not have children.
They can't take care of themselves, so how can they take care of anyone else....

We live and hopefully we learn....Some never `do : (

Old 07-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

sad part is, the actions the mother took will probibly not even be questioned. that's just the norm around here. heck, it seems lately her actions were above avarage. truly sad.

and yes, i hope they catch whoever did it too. those damn red cars, lol IT WASENT ME, haha, i was at the DWG show! i actually have a small list of who i personally think woulda done it out of people in here, people who drive like A holes are everywhere. if it was a red pickup that narrows it quite a bit, down to the a hole who lives a block away from where it happened who almost plowed into me at least twice in the last 4 months.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:33 AM

Hi BuzzKill Detective `Ryan,
Maybe it's time for
BuzzKill Mob Justice

I do hope they find the offender, and that
justice will prevail.

"There's no justice like angry-mob justice."
-- Principal Seymour Skinner

Old 07-04-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by skylark65
sad part is, the actions the mother took will probibly not even be questioned. that's just the norm around here. heck, it seems lately her actions were above avarage. truly sad.

and yes, i hope they catch whoever did it too. those damn red cars, lol IT WASENT ME, haha, i was at the DWG show! i actually have a small list of who i personally think woulda done it out of people in here, people who drive like A holes are everywhere. if it was a red pickup that narrows it quite a bit, down to the a hole who lives a block away from where it happened who almost plowed into me at least twice in the last 4 months.
I was just about to accuse you.

If an *** almost ran me over twice!?, i would have definitely done something about this, quickly. That's just me.
Be careful out there.