Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

HELP! attn computer buffs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Wow thanks alot. Thats some good information. I am going to pull this thread back up at work tomorrow and try your suggestions. Ill let you know the results. I am hoping its simply a firewall problem. Ill try the simplest solution first and work my way up from there.

When I pull up the network and sharing center on the 7 PC I see this:

(Windows 7 PC)--------- CopperMonkey(Wireless Router)----------Internet

Then underneath I see:

CopperMonkey (router)
WORKGROUP

When I go to view computers on network I see both the 7 PC and the XP PC as well as my wireless router and my wireless printer. Seems like everything is running correctly on the 7 PC

When I go to view computers on network on the XP PC all I see is the XP PC.

Like I said I will try all your suggestions. Hopefully I can get them working together tomorrow morning.

Thanks again.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:23 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I only wish I was good with computers. Debbie's is on the blink again. I'll have to tag my brother in law to look it over again. Poor guy. He only hears from me when I need computer repairs.

Debbie has 4 computers and now none of them will access the net.

The wally world in Lima, OH has a computer store in the front. They sell re-mans for $100 with windows 7 on them and a 1 year warranty. Not sure if this is a good deal or not? Better then no computer at all.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I admit, I don't work in a Workgroup mode often (my office and even my home run an Active Directory and that alters some of the rules a little and more importantly, make connectivity much easier from having a common trust between the PCs and a ADS domain and a common user account security database).
Unfortunately, I have really nothing to add here because I'm the same way -- where I work we run all the machines on a domain and we don't run true OS's - we use thin clients of XP.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Well I got them connected finally. Both computers recognize each other. My final question here, is there anyway to share ALL files between both computers without having to individually share each file one by one?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You could share the entire drive and not just folders. By default all versions of windows shares the C: drive out as a hidden share (uses a $ at the end). The C: drive share is C$.
So if you have access to the PC you can connect to:
\\<PCName>\C$
Where you see <PCName> is the name of the remote PC you are connecting to.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by mrl390
Well I got them connected finally. Both computers recognize each other. My final question here, is there anyway to share ALL files between both computers without having to individually share each file one by one?
share the c:\ drive. then map drive from the my computer screen.

path will be \\computername\c$