General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Light issues Attn: Mod Matt - Member's`HELP ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Light issues Attn: Mod Matt - Member's`HELP ?

I've noticed that the low beam lights are considerably dimmer than the high beam. Is this just the normal set up i'm wondering? As on low beam on a dark rainy night such as tonight i can not see the road at all Its very frustrating and dangerous not to mention.

So i'm thinking about getting a set of fog lights or similar and I was wondering if any fellow 5th gen owners can reccomend a set of lights and maybe give a little insight as to how you have them wired up, thanks.

Last edited by Space; 10-04-2011 at 05:04 AM. Reason: 2 change 4 `Keane : )
Old 10-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

Well, maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying exactly but low beams are supposed to put out less light and not go out nearly as far as high beams. However, it could be that there's something going on with your lights that's making it dim. My low beams have always been good during clear and light rain nights, but anything other then that and it's difficult to see through the weather no matter if it's on high or low beams.

About fog lights. I've never had them on my current Monte, but I did have 3 pairs of fog lights on a 95 Monte LS. You can kinda see what they were like on my old Cardomain page here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/342615...e-carlo/page-2

With 3 pairs of fog lights, there was barely any change in lighting output. I believe that because of the way our bumpers are designed, any kind of fog lights are tucked too far inside of the bumper to make any real difference. I don't recommend getting fog lights on a 5th gen.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I always love having fogs just because of the rain and not being able to see very good at night. Matt (mrl390) put a nice looking set on his Z, I wonder how well they work for him? I hope he gets a chance to see this thread and give his OP.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:01 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Could always put a set of kc off road lights on it lol but it does look like it be hard to get a set that fit well with the car & still put out light

Old 10-02-2011, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by zipper
Well, maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying exactly but low beams are supposed to put out less light and not go out nearly as far as high beams. However, it could be that there's something going on with your lights that's making it dim. My low beams have always been good during clear and light rain nights, but anything other then that and it's difficult to see through the weather no matter if it's on high or low beams.
X2 on the possibility of something being wrong with the headlights. There might be a short somewhere, and that could cause the lights to get only 10 or 11 volts instead of the usual 14.2 or so. The bulbs might also be on their way out. If they're the original (in this case from the late '90s), that's almost 15 years of age. Halogen lights dim with age, and they do burn out on occasion. I even think mine have dimmed a little bit- and they're only 6 years old (2005).

Old 10-02-2011, 01:17 AM

are your headlights oxidized?

my (stock) foglights dont help at all. cant even tell when theyre on. idk if its the bulbs or if its just a Chevy thing. but on the 07 Explorer, it was literally another set of headlights. people would flash their high beams at me for having them on.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member

I understand that low beam is supposted to be a short light. But on all the other cars both high and low have the same intensity just different patters and distance. I actually recently replaced my lenses as they were fogged over. I'd be interested as to how well matt's lights work

Old 10-02-2011, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member

Any 5th gen owners that have fogs care to input how they installed them?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Hi Keane,
Mod Matt has put fogs in his 5th Gen, and I'm sure if he reads your thread that he will reply...If he doesn't just PM him and I'm sure he will help..

Until then, this is the best I could find @ present...Hope it gives you some idea...I've never installed them..So, I'm still a novice..
How to Install Fog Lights - wikiHow
Click above >. Good Luck

Old 10-03-2011, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member

thanks space, i'll have to see if matt picks up on this topic or not

Quick Reply: Light issues Attn: Mod Matt - Member's`HELP ?