Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Hard to enjoy fireworks when...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:31 AM

I think Duane's point was that people have been saying this about their younger generation basically since the beginning of time. Hence the quote from Aristotle.

I don't have issue with the way people do it around here for the most part, it just occasionally rattles me a bit when I'm not expecting to hear it (like when I'm driving).

Old 07-05-2012, 10:38 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Thats when u get out & start busting some heads, do ppl not have respect anymore
I'm starting to wonder the same thing. It was only the lumina and it had dented up fenders and I'd backed into the empty house next to ours with it too so it was by no means pretty. I figured though if this is how they act before we even buy a ticket I'm leaving.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Monte
sorry to hear that :/

it was hard for me to enjoy the fireworks when debris was falling from the sky onto my monte! i had to get it into the garage fast!
That would be terrible. Were they shooting them off too close to you?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47
Oh i agree with you! i got so annoyed this year, first time going to fire works in 5 years! (first 4th of july off from work in that time)
And i just couldnt stand it!
Some guy behind us was BLASTING music from his car through the WHOLE diplay, Some kid kept yelling "MOMMY MOMMY DID YOU SEE THAT? WOW MOMMY SEE THAT?
ITs like tell your kid you see the GIANT FIRE BALL IN THE SKY!!!
Then the oo's aahh' holy (guess whats after) from teenagers behind us
The smell of marijuana wafting over from the kids a few cars down

Its just really not enjoyable anymore and i will be pleased if i just get to work next year for it
Thankfully I wasn't close enough to anyone else to hear their music or smell their pot. But even though we were about 4 car lengths away from people we could still hear the screaming. I can understand the little kids thing to a certain point. If I were the parent I'd have said something like yes dear I see it. Just to get them to sush. I wouldn't say mine wasnt enjoyable. I did the best I could to enjoy it, but its pretty sad when people go there for reasons other than to just enjoy it.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
well said. I agree 100% with this. I always try to go into things with a postive attitude and tell myself I will not let anyone ruin this for me. It seems the harder I try to mor eI'm fed up with it. The 3rd night that the HANGOVER 2 wa sout me and my fiance drove 30 miles in my beater at the time (94 Lumina) to go see it. While looking for a parking spot in the theatre parking lot I asked some kids to move please for a minute so i could park. they were playing hacky sack. They moved and as I was driving past they all spit at and kicked my car. I was so pist I said F it and drove home and called it a wasted trip. Its sad when you try to enjoy simple things and cant anymore.

i had some kids spit all over my monte at the high school football game last fall. it was the wrong decision on there part to spit all over it when i go to school with them. I came out early from the football game to beat the traffic out of the parking lot, found three of them sitting on my hood and spit all over my hood and windshield, lets just say that they wont be touching my car again after all was said and done that night.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
For these very reasons I like to find an old gravel road just a little ways out and sit back with people I know I can enjoy it with. Of course I'm spoiled to have such amenities in most small towns here in Iowa

But yeah I've always noticed all of the people trying to get attention, especially here in Ames. Always someone trying to show off for a few seconds of fame, which sucks to the law-abiding citizens who just want to watch FIREWORKS! LOL

(I swear there are idiots who come out just when the streets are packed to try to get attention because I never see this kind of crap on a normal day or night )
The last line is exactly what it is IMO. I didn't even know that many people lived in West Union. There was so many cars! The rec center is near the pool here and the fireworks never seem to get really high, my dad said some he could barely see and he was bout 5 blocks away. We saw them all since we were about 50 yards from where they were lighting them. Anyway I would go farther away to enjoy them but then you'd only see about half of them if that. Our fireworks are always pretty lame.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I've seen people that don't know how to act on a daily basis for the last 20 years. I work in the bar business. I have learned to just go with the flow, let the idiots be idiots and go on about my business. .
I think thats how it is most of the time. Just gotta deal with it.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
They usually don't bother me, but hearing them go off as I was driving by on my way home this evening rattled me for some reason. I guess most of that stems from my military experience and the fact that most of the smaller firecrackers sound like small arms fire, but for a split second I felt like I was under fire. I quickly regained my composure and didn't mash the pedal to the floor to escape, but it rattled me a bit nonetheless.
I can see where it could be startling after military experiances. At least you werent around a bunch of high school kids hootin n hollering maker it that much worse.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by milrlyt
On behalf of my whole generation, I apologize. Like others have said, it's always somebody. Then again, these sorts of raucous actions have been going on for decades... whatcha gonna do...
its true theres not a whole lot you can do. Basically comes down to put up with it or go home. I'm 21 (will be 22 this year) and to me thats only 4 years out of highschool. Whn I think back 4 years ago or even a little past that about highschool I don't rember acting like that ever. Now almost every one of them does it. I don't remeber the last time I drove by a highschool show off who ddint either 1. Rev their truck at me 2. Flipped me off 3. insulted me in some form 4. acted mentally handicapped to impress their friends. I can only think of 1 highschooler in town thats nice. I see him about every 2-3 days in town. Usually driving his grand prix gt. First time I saw him I thought "yup dressed up in a basket ball jersey a sslat bill hat and overly big fake earrings here comes the finger" and he actually waved. I have no idea who he is but waves every time he sees me. So there is hope left

Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
That would drive me up the wall. Kids these days are obnoxious. We have a kid at work like The. Always making noise. I try so hard to ignore him but you can only take so much. And don't forget im only 18 i guess im just not like The other a holes.
I guess when I was 18 I must have been the odd one too since I ddin't find a lot of what they're doing amussing.

Quick Reply: Hard to enjoy fireworks when...