Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Had to put down my Mama dog.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Had to put down my Mama dog.

What a very tough decision to make at least for me. I kept delaying the inevitable week after week, but finally had to stop being selfish and have my dog of 17 years put to sleep.

We had the best of times, she truly had a life other dogs might be envious of. Her and the 2 others I still have would take frequent day hikes into the mountains, breaking new trails through scrub oak and getting our butts kicked. There were steams to be forded, swam in or to water down their thirst. She seemed to fear nothing and would always be on the alert for something to chase, whether it be deer, prairie dogs, water snakes, rabbits and once I had a heck of a time keeping them back from a brown bear coming up out of the stream bed and lumbering across a trail perhaps 300 feet away. We had the very best of times, I'm truly going to miss those days, they were gone before I realized they would be.

She was ready to go, her hearing had failed, sight was pretty limited, would fall into the water dish when drinking, wandered aimlessly and incessantly about the home. Poor girl, I endured a good 3 months of her soiling the home from loss of bladder control and the other. I'm sure if she could speak she would have told me I'm sorry but I can't help myself. So I had to say good by to Miss Whittles. Took her for a couple walks about the neighbor hood with my grandaughter and one of my other dogs, let her enjoy a nice sunny leisurely stroll sniffing anywhere and forever how long she wanted to. When we returned home, let her walk about the front yard with the other dogs and did some video's and photo's of our last moments together.
About 15 minutes before we left for the vets, chopped up some ham into cubes for her to eat to her hearts content, let her drink her fill. Let her lean out the window as we drove, her last time doing that as she always enjoyed having her head into the wind.

The vet asked me a few questions, he shaved her leg while I held her onto her body and her head on my arm. She was overdosed and slipped so quietly from the world I did not even know she had passed till he told me she was gone. I cried and told her sorry while I kissed her one last time. She was quite the wonderful and most loyal Jack Russell, always my shadow. It feels better not seeing the poor girl suffer so. She now sleeps in my backyard the only home she would ever know. Bye Miss Whittles

Our last day together...

Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Monte of the Month -- December 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, that's a heartwarming story, Greg. I'm truly sorry for your loss. It's amazing how quickly a simple pet becomes your best friend and favorite family member. 17 years is quite the extensive life for a pup, she certainly had a fulfilling life with a great master. Glad you were able to have a nice, memorable last day with her.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Greg:
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss.
I know exactly how you feel, I to had to recently put down my shadow, confidant and friend Zeus...after 14 yrs together. Not to the extend you have with your Miss whittles, But your adventures sounded positively wonderful.
But he did get to travel with us for many years across this United States.. So, I know he had a great life of fulfillment and happiness.

Much like the loss of my deceased wife that I lost in that horrible wreck in 1997...It still hurts! I had him Cremated as am I going to be and we will be buried together. My heart truly goes out to you my friend. I know she will be missed by all that knew her. I will honestly say.... I am actually sitting here teary eyed as I'm typing this.. I feel your pain deep within.
I will include you, your family, and Miss Whittles in my prayers..

At the very least, we now know they are no longer suffering and are now pain free...
When we pass you know that we will meet them again by the rainbow bridge!

God Bless

Last edited by STUMPMI; 02-13-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Greg, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. A beloved family pet is as much a member of the family as anyone else. 17 years is a long time for a dog. Remember the great times shared in those 17 years! She obviously warmed your heart and those times are what matters!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:07 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I'm sooo sorry for your loss

Old 02-13-2014, 10:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

That's so sad. I'm sorry man...

Old 02-13-2014, 10:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Greg I don't have the words... So sorry for your loss... Our lab is going on 12yrs and is starting to falter, we love her very much, so much that like you, we will not let her suffer long... God bless,

Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Thanks everyone for your generous kind words. yes she did her duty, came, saw and kicked butt. It was hard to do yesterday, but life was good for her.

Dave, I can't even imagine what you did and are still going through losing a wife from a tragic automotive accident. Probably makes you want to tear your teeth out of your head, something one will never get over, but time does mercifully dull the pain. Losing a dog is not remotely comparable to losing a wife. Yikes, what a mind bender that is. My wife died at 39 from a heart issue, that was weird for sure, been 7 years now. Sometimes I yell her name and curse her for leaving her daughter behind, and I think she just laughs at me and says grow up big boy.

Thought I would kind of clue everyone in as to this situation, we all lose pets and guess was trying to reassure myself by telling our story that I did all possible short of putting her in a old pets home.

Anyone notice here it is the middle of February in Utah and my front lawn is snow free... What a mild winter we are having here, might get the Monte out next week and take it to a shop to have them start on a secret project. Have to try dethrone John the 3 time consecutive champion as best Modified 6th gen. at the 2014 GM nats.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 02-13-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

I'm very sorry to hear Greg. Our pets are family and its very hard to lose one of them. We lost our rottweiler (Lexi) when she was only 3yrs old do to a massive heart attack. We knew she had issues and was on a special died etc and at only 3 lost her. Now we got another rottweiler (gabi) she is 1yr old and she doesn't never take lexi's spot but she is loved and loves us just like family and that's what its about!

and I wish you a huge 5ft blizzard that don't melt until the end of July so you miss gm nats and I can win again!! But that's OK go ahead I got more tricks up my sleeve as well before gm nats. The one is a secret (I hope I have enough time to complete) that will be revealed at gm nats and no pics will be put up here of that mod until after the show

Old 02-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Awww, so sorry for your loss, I had to go through that a few times back in 2011. That is truly the last you can give them to show your love to end their suffering.

Quick Reply: Had to put down my Mama dog.