Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Had a horrible, yet fun day yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:26 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy Had a horrible, yet fun day yesterday

So I set out to buy the dash kit and wiring harness for my 01 GP GT because I REALLY! missed my subs so I went and picked up my dad to ride along with me 35 miles to Walmart, got there and bought the k whole shibang for $44.22, so got to dad house and dropped him off he wanted to hang out but sadly I declined as I wanted to get some use of the 54 degree weather and the daylight to try and get everything installed. So I went home and tore apart the dash and checked the plug for the harness to the one in the GP and whaddaya know it wasn't the right one so I put everything back together and was super sad . So I started the car to go grab a bite to eat and the rpms shot up so I quickly shut it off before it redlined. I was like uhh what did I forget so I took the dash apart n looked all over the only thing I'd forget was to plug the anntenna back in, so i did that and before putting everything back together i started the car and bam back to normal. so I put everything back together and started the car and BAM it was doing the same thing agin so again I quickly shut it off and was like ok started looking around and the piece below the steeringwheel you remove has a padded carpet attached to it that was pressing the gas pedal so I fixed it and the car was fine. So sad that it wasnt the right one I texted my dad and told him it was the wrong one so I'd have to take it back so he text me back n said well if you wanna go now I'll tag along I need to get out, so I said sure y not. I called best buy to make sure they had what I needed first after I returned my purchase to walmat. The guy said they had one dash kit left in stock but did not have the wiring harness so I asked him if he could hold it for me until I got there and he said yes. So I picked up dad which was 7 miles the opposite direction of where I was going then headed back for a trip to the other Walmart of about 40-45ish miles from my dad house, I got there and they gave me a gift card for the return so I took it and got the wiring harness and some monster energy and headed to best buy another 25 miles, got to best buy and asked them for the item I had asked for them to save back, after 40 mins and asking every employee they had there they couldnt find it and said I must have talked to a guy from the previous shift and theyd sold the last one basically told me too bad you wasted your gas not my problem then turned around and talked with his friend so I went to the walmart in that town and they had 4 GM dash kits none of which listed for grand prixs anywhere from 2001-03 but all other year so I sad F it and got the one that was for 97-99s or whatever. then drove dad all the way home I think a total of 65 or more miles then drove another 7 back to my house. I installed everything today and even though the dash kit had no plastic holes where you put screws in and hold it in place it had a lip around it that the plastic to the dash held in perfectly so it dosent really move at all dosent slid out and can push on it a bit but dosent do much. IF you read this all congrats for putting up with me because I'll skip the nightmare of having problem with where to ground the amp and blowing fuses and having to drive another 30 miles and ened up spending 28 dollars I didnt need to but got extra fuses and a new rachet with dual heads and new extensions

Old 01-07-2012, 11:28 PM

Ohh and forgot to mention the rachet and extensions both had the little Blue GM square on them so I guess theyre GM products? sweet deal lol and the tools were a total of $20 bucks and the fuses were the other $8

Old 01-07-2012, 11:40 PM

Sounds like some of the days I have! lol
Driving 35 or more miles to Wal Mart is almost how it is living around here. We do have Wal Marts closer, but a mall is that far away.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:43 PM

Yeah the 2 closest walmarts are 30 plus miles away and after installing it all today I found out had I gone with my first instict I could have got everything I need the first day I got the car when I stopped at walmart on my way home and would have saved me a lot of money on gas and etc, should have just gone with my instinct instead of doubting it

Old 01-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

Some days it's just not worth trying to do anything, wow what a fiasco you went through. Happy to see your patience was rewarded in the end. So are your subs back in now? What you pushing them with?

Old 01-08-2012, 04:39 PM

Yeah I got one kicker 12 in a ported box I think its a CVR or CVX or something dont remember and just pushing a sissy DUAL brand 600 watt amp I bought on sale for $45 until I have a garage sale this summer and buy a new amp, not a clean set up but its in the trunk and the wires a run under the carpet so unless you looking in the trunk its clean and event hen its not too bad.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm glad we have all the stores around here. I can be at any one in 5 to 10 minutes. Then we have 2 other city's less than 20 miles away with all the same stores.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 PM

Wow! Here in Ohio, I swear there is a Walmart every 7-10 miles on the highway! Lol. Autozones, Advanced, O'reillys and Napa too! In between each of the auto parts stores are at least 2 Horizons or Auto Sport (car customization places). Thats one thing I never have to worry about!

At my moms house, which is about 10 minutes from my house- theres a walmart north 3 miles, southwest 5 miles.
Sorry to hear about all that driving! I would be pissed! I've been through that. Thanks to bestbuy and walmart for making me learn to have patience...
Amazon.com is my new store!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 PM

I live in a pretty small town so driving about 30 miles to get to certain places is common my brother lives 80 miles from me in Marion Iowa and he says theres 3 Walmarts within ten miles! Lucky lol