Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Yesterday was fun. not

Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Yesterday was fun. not

Picked up on my sarcasm yet?

I was at work, my wife came up there when she got off work, as normal. We talked for a bit, and she went home. Well I get a call 10 minutes later from her; she's been in an accident. Somebody wasn't paying attention and rear ended her - she was going 10 MPH, if that, and he had to have been going 45-50 MPH. So I leave work that very instant and go to the scene. She banged her head against the seat kinda hard, but other than that she was ok - went to the hospital anyway, because her neck started to hurt. Spent a good 3 hours in the ER, found out her neck was sprained - which is a lot better than it could've been. I'm just glad she is "OK".

The Cavvy however is another story. Pushed in the trunk, pushed the bumper and bumper support to the damn ground, bent the exhaust in half, crushed the rear quarter panel so bad I can't open her driver's side back door. I have a feeling it's going to be totalled, which sucks, because that car was very reliable and it ran well. I doubt we'll see more than $2,000 for the car, and I know we can't find a reliable car for 2k. So, even when insurance is involved and "justice" is done, we still get the short end of the stick. To emphasize the hit she took - the Cavvy was REAR ENDED, and now the HOOD won't shut properly.

All in all, just be thankful and cherish your loved ones, for tomorrow is not promised.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about it. I hope your wife has no long standing effects, I know first hand how an accident like that feels.
Years ago, I had a '93 Buick Century. In 2001, I was on my way to a friend's house, at a dead stop waiting for traffic to clear so I could turn left. I heard the screech of brakes behind me, saw it in the rear view mirror and BAM, I was rear ended, HARD! Thank GOD I where my seat belt (otherwise, I would have had head to steering wheel injuries). To tell you how bad my head was jarred, my glasses were found in the back of the car. I don't smoke, so I use the ashtray for coins. The ashtray drawer came open, the ashtray was sitting next to me and coins EVERYWHERE.

Cops estimate force of impact was 45MPH! Considering I was at a dead stop, that guy was FLYING (in a 35MPH zone)! Luckily, I have had no significant long standing effects. The only long standing effect I know of is once in a while since the accident, I get a very focused sharp pain around the lower part of a shoulder blade (like being stabbed with a dull pin). It's more uncomfortable then anything, goes away in a short time and does not happen often (but to this day, it does still happen).

I knew my Buick was totaled, we had it towed to an impound lot. Here's a pic from that:

Sorry to go on and on. I truly feel for what your wife went through and I know how you feel about the insurance end (I had brutal arguments over the value of my car and my insurance company at the time who ALSO insured the guy who hit me was protecting the guy who hit me MORE then taking care of me, primary reason I dropped them ASAP and got an agent instead of an 800#).

Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 AM
15 Year Member

Damage to the Cavvy is very similar to that of your Buick. Thanks for your well wishes. Airbag didn't deploy though, good thing the seatbelt worked enough to keep her from slamming into the steering wheel.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 AM

Hi `John, sorry to read about the accident, but happy to read that your wife was not seriously injured for sure...
Make sure that her injuries are not worse tomorrow.

Sad also about your Cavalier Yes, it's difficult to find a reliable car for $2K

Yes, no one knows when their journey will `End, so we must extract the most from each day we get 4-Real...

I hope the other driver has good insurance, and don't settle until your wife is cleared of her injury by her doctor...

John, wish you a good resolve to this incident/accident...
Live/Learn and EnJoy your `Now ~> WoW ~>4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 07-19-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:27 AM
15 Year Member

Thanks Space,

I've been making sure she's feeling all right periodically, her mom's off work today and bringing her around to get prescriptions and police report, all that good ish

And have no fear, I won't settle anything until everything is to her satisfaction. My wife is my life and nothing but the best will do for her. I won't have it any other way.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:36 AM

Hi `John, it's great to read about your love for your wife and her welfare...
I don't know why bad things happen to good people, but they `do...It's all part of this human journey we call `life...

It either kills us, or makes us stronger....Accidents are a reminder that all humans are fragile & and we must not take life 4-granted 4-Sure...

Wish you & your `Wife the best and I hope you can find a good replacement car for her... Good Luck from `Space

Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM

John - Sorry to hear about your wife's accident. Glad to hear she's not hurt too bad. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Scary scary stuff.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:28 PM

Cavalier?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is the exact reason all cars are now required to have headrests. Glad she had very minor injures and 2000 can buy a decent car you just have to hunt for it.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 PM

Sorry to hear that hope all works out !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yesterday was fun. not