Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Grand Am Brake Line FIXED!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Grand Am Brake Line FIXED!!

So, Tuesday I shared I blew a brake line on the '94 Grand Am after a rather HUGE emergency STOP (thanks to a yahoo whipping out infront of me and not yielding to traffic).

Today, spent some quality time with the car (about 12pm-5:30pm). Long time, but ZERO problems in the repair (I'm slow and perhaps too picky).

The problem was the line going the LONGEST distance (to the rear right brake). I cut it free from the fitting in the flew line, had to jack around a little to get the fitting OUT of the flex line. I then removed small sections of the old line from all it's retaining clips (I wanted it GONE).

I bought a coil of line and took a while to bend that sucker (and some re-routing), but I got it all done. Flared all the ends myself.

Now, I inspected the lines under the left rocker panel. They are in AWESOME shape. Only surface rust is where the plastic holders are, otherwise SOLID! I did just what I did with the last rear brake line, I ran this sucker to good steel line under the rocker panel. So, one union and a long stretch of NEW line. I was NOT gutsy enough to seat the line where the old one sat (I did not want to jack around other lines and things for fear of opening a Pandora's box). So, I zip tied the line to the plastic hangers. For a rookie at this, it came out great. Zero problems bleeding the brakes. Any issues were minor. You'd swear I've done some of this before. HAHA!

The daily driver is BACK in action!! Sorry for the long post, but I'm happy AND amazed it went so perfect. FYI - for those who feel I should have ran a new line front to back, I did not feel confident I could successfully bend a new line that long. I honestly figured if I had to go front to back all the way, I'd have at least one union involved in the process. How I see it, the lines look good, but if I have a problem, I have a half way point.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:26 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Glad to hear u got it all fixed up & ready to go

Old 11-26-2011, 12:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Glad to hear u got it all fixed up & ready to go
I'm still grinning ear to ear how well it worked out. ALSO, NO additional trips to the parts store. I pre-bought the supplies I thought I would need for today's task on Wednesday and it worked!!