General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Is my ride safe to drive!? I found disconnected brake line looking thing!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Default Is my ride safe to drive!? I found disconnected brake line looking thing!

I have a 2003 SS.
Ok, well I had this wired vibration/banging noise coming from my rear end, whenever i hit abump,for a couple months now. I suspected it may have do do with something with the work done on the rear end 2 yrs ago($6,000 worth of damage, hit from behind). Well it turns out the whole (new) rear bumper has this loud vibration in it when i simulate a bump(bypunching on muffler).

Well thats besides the point.

I was alarmed to see that there is an unconnected and dangeling cable/wire/line just loose and resting in the inside of the wheel behind the spokes. It looks like it originated from the center of the car, and branches out to both rear wheels. What the heck is this??!! Im not mechanically inclined at all, but i was able to c that the line for the tire on the other side was connected to the brake assembly. Is this the main brake line, that just happens to not be connected to the brake of my passenger-side rear tire!!?

I'll try to describe it. It loked very simillar in thickness to a cable tv wire, and had a simillar looking metal connector at the end.

Is it possible that im drivin with only 3 brakes?
Is it possible thats its only a parking brake line?

Is thing safe to drive????

Old 02-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Default RE: Is my ride safe to drive!? I found disconnected brake line looking thing!

Pictures would be a lot of help here...

If it is a brake that's disconnected then you would probably feel the car pull to the side when braking due to only three wheels braking. At least that's what I'd think.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Default RE: Is my ride safe to drive!? I found disconnected brake line looking thing!

i dont think it is the brake line because i thought if one line was disconected that after about one pump on the brakes you would have no response from the brake pedal as in it would only go down to the floor with little to no effect.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:09 PM

It is probably an emergency brake cable.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: aussiek2000

It is probably an emergency brake cable.
I sure sounds like it.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:06 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it were an actual brake line the car would nose drive on stops cause the rear brakes are not working.

The brake pedal would be almost if not on the floor from fluid loss and the light would be on, on the dash. Providing the brake line isn't crimped someplace to prevent the fluid from leaking out.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:19 PM

Want to find out if its the e-brake cable just set the e-brake and drive forward and see if both rear wheels lock up.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree, pics please.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 AM

nuttin to add but i agree with the previous posters

Old 02-27-2009, 03:33 PM

Ok thanks for the input guys. Its deff not the main brake line, so it must be the ebrake. I thought it was messed up a while ago, when the pedal never springed back into place one day. Is it not a good idea to be driving without a functioning ebrake?

Quick Reply: Is my ride safe to drive!? I found disconnected brake line looking thing!