Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Going LED

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default Going LED

I am upgrading my old dinosaur CRT SD TV to a new Panasonic LED-LCD HD TV. I had been shopping around and looking at everything out there and I finally found a good deal on a highly rated TV online from Best buy. I picked it up for what I believe was a very good price and I am super excited to get it. I will be picking it up tomorrow hopefully. Its sitting at the local store waiting. I have a PS3 that has the blueray player built in and the games for it have awesome graphics so the SD TV just wasnt cutting it. Ill have pics/reviews tomorrow hopefully if I get it all hooked up.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:39 PM

Looking forward to your reviews.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:46 PM

5 Year Member

Well I was able to wrangle up a truck so I went and picked the TV up today. So far I have watched Iron Man 2 in blueray and played Modern Warfare 2 on PS3 on the set.

Picture: 9/10
The picture on this set is by far one of the best I have seen. It rivals the picture on my parents 46" Sony LCD and that was a much more expensive piece. The LEDs make all the difference tho. The colors are much bolder than on other LCD TVs. The Red/yellow/blue colors are especially vivid. Its a pretty nice viewing experience. 1080p and 120Hz refresh rate dont hurt either.

Sound: 7/10
The sound isnt the best, kinda tinny sounding. I did get to mess with the sound settings and by adjusting the bass/trebel I made it sound alright. Just watching regular TV it still sounds kinda tinny, but still sounds alright. My old set was better sound wise, but it had some pretty big speakers inside. When it comes to watching movies that is where the set definately is better than my old one sound wise. It has a surround sound setting which makes the experience TONS better. It really sounds pretty good while that is on. It directs your attention away from the TV itself and more in the general area in front of you.

Features: 8/10
The set comes pretty loaded with some neat features. First thing I noticed was the external Ipod dock that came with it. You just pop your ipod into it and you can play music and view videos right on the screen. The set also has an SD car slot. You can pop the car right out of your digital camera and view the photos in HD.
It has 3 HDMI inputs, 1 component and 2 video ins. Some more expensive sets have apps now where you can run youtube, facebook and pandora on the set. This TV doesnt have those applications, but it does have a PC hookup so you can just run those apps right from your computer onto the set so that doesnt bother me.

Here are some photos of the set.

Front:

Hookups:

Here you can actually see some of the LEDs through a vent on the back of the TV:

Old 10-11-2010, 06:40 AM

Nice I want an LED tv. We bought a 46 inch Sony Bravia LCD 1080P last year and now I'm pissed that the Sony Bravia LED is cheaper then what we payed for the lcd. We should have waited a year, lol. Don't get me wrong, our LCD is awesome, especially watchin a blue-ray or hd cable, but the color on the LEDs looks so much better the the lcd's so I can only imagine how great HD looks

Is your new tv 3D compatible? Our ps3 just got the 3D update but unfortunately our tv is not 3D, but our next one will be.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very nice! We just bought a Samsung LED 60" 1080p and the picture is incredible!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:37 AM

5 Year Member

No, this TV isnt 3D. Not really my thing. Maybe if they develope the technology so you dont need to wear the glasses to watch it.

BTW, I recommend against getting a sony bravia LED. They are one of the worst picture quality LEDs out there. Thats not just my opinion either. A few other people have mentioned the same thing to me.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by mrl390

BTW, I recommend against getting a sony bravia LED. They are one of the worst picture quality LEDs out there. Thats not just my opinion either. A few other people have mentioned the same thing to me.
Really? They are the best I've seen for LCD. Good to know and I'll keep that in mind when we decided to buy an LED

Old 10-11-2010, 05:17 PM

5 Year Member

Yeah their regular LCD TVs have some of the best picture out there. They were late to the game in the LED department and the picture just isnt as good as others. Samsung, phillips, vizio and panasonic are some of the better looking LED TVs ive looked at.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Panny FTW.

Good bang for buck, I have had a Panasonic plasma for two years now and never had any trouble.

Was a Sony fan, but could not justify spending the extra dough.

I have Sony bravias in my warehouse on the cable box test stations. They are ok, but the panny just has a better pic.

Other sets to avoid: Phillips, Dell and any Yugo type brands. They don't hold up.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Barovelli
Other sets to avoid: Phillips, Dell and any Yugo type brands. They don't hold up.
i had a 47 inch 1080P magnavox lcd which is the same as phillips. It got one little bump on the screen and was destroyed. Couldn't even see a mark. That's when we picked up the 46 inch sony bravia lcd for surprisingly the same price we payed for the magnavox, but the bravia was 10x's better as far a picture quality and had more hdmi inputs