Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

GM Style Rocks Detroit : )

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Default RE: GM Style Rocks Detroit : )

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

Yeap, I'm savings my duckets for an 04 "V"
Well you should be able to afford one...they dont hold their value too well

Old 01-21-2008, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[align=center]Thanks again Rock03SS `Wayne for your link/pic's/review/comments[/align][align=center]on the Detroit Auto Show.[/align][align=center]Below is what AOL Auto's had on the show.[/align][align=center]They posted some great pic's....I love look'in @ cars,[/align][align=center]I'd love it more, `if I could drive them own them : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
See the latest concept and production cars and vote for your favorite:
[:-][*]2008 Detroit Auto Show Main Page[*][:-][/align][align=center]http://autos.aol.com/detroit-auto-show[/align][ul][/ul][align=center][:-]
Below Gallery of ZR-1 (Great Pic's: )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://autos.aol.com/gallery/corvette-zr1[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

More Galleries:
Detroit Auto Show[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

Cadillac CTS-V [/align][*][align=center]Cadillac Provoq [/align][*][align=center]Chrysler Concepts [/align][*][align=center]Corvette ZR1 [/align][*][align=center]2009 Dodge Ram [/align][*][align=center]Ford Explorer America [/align][*][align=center]Ford Verve [/align][*][align=center]Hummer HX Concept [/align][*][align=center]Nissan Forum Concept [/align][*][align=center]Saturn Flextreme [/align][*][align=center]Toyota A-BAT [/align][*][align=center]2009 Ford F-150 [/align][*][align=center]Audi R8 V12 TDI [/align][*][align=center]Cadillac CTS Coupe [/align][*][align=center]BMW X6 [/align][ol][align=center]

[/align][/ol]

[/align][/align][/align]

Old 01-21-2008, 07:46 AM

lol sorry i was never good at homework.im more of a procrastonator.
i WILL be there next week or i'll have to wait till next year

Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: jay26

lol sorry i was never good at homework.im more of a procrastonator.
i WILL be there next week or i'll have to wait till next year
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hi `Jeff, [/align][align=center]I understand, it seems like I've been doing homework all of[/align][align=center]my life [X(]. I'm just really happy that NBC had the highlights[/align][align=center]of the show on TV, plus the super post by `Wayne the Rock : ).[/align][align=center]Member Black Attack `Craigis also going, so I look forward to his[/align][align=center]review/post. [/align][align=center]I hope that you do get the chance tovisit the DetroitAuto Heaven : )[/align][align=center][sm=devilangel.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=devilangel.gif][/align][align=center][sm=gears.gif][/align][align=center]Peace/Out/`Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 01-21-2008, 08:55 AM

Space,

The unions are doing their jobs quite well, which is to get the best deal they can for their members. Not sure about the corruption angle, (corruption is everywhere, by the way) but you hit the nail squarely on the head regarding health insurance. ALL businesses are feeling the squeeze (a death squeeze, really) of higher insurance premiums and health care costs. The Japanese/whatever other car companies have an unfair advantage here, as they don't provide equal or sometimes any health coverage, or operate in countries with universal health care, and don't pay nearly as much as U.S. companies for health care for their employeees.
The big 3 automakers made some very questionable agreements with the UAW when things were going well for them, but this is NOT the fault of the union. It takes 2 parties to negotiate a labor contract.
2other things to consider here, no union member has input into what vehicles they build, so when GM or Ford or Chrysler decides to build ugly, underpowered, sh*tboxes, that is a MANAGEMENT decision. Also, the Japanese don't give out multimillion dollar bonus packages to their top executives unless they PERFORM and the company PROFITS! The big 3 (and most American companies) give out totally ridiculous bonuses to top management, even when they LOSE money. If you don't believe it, look it up. When the Japanese don't make money/lose sales, or for virtually any reason, their management is replaced, and they don't give them golden parachutes to leave, either.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:18 AM

[align=center]Hi Mark, & thanks for your post/comments.[/align][align=center]I only know what I've read in class or online about[/align][align=center]corruption in the auto unions.[/align][align=center]I knowI have so much to learn about life & our world,[/align][align=center]but it amazes me how many good subject/posts there are on the MCF.[/align][align=center]Below are just a few sources on the subject.[/align][align=center](There are many books/sources on the subject)[/align][align=center]It's sad that it can not be controlled : ( or Stopped.[/align][align=center]Power-Money-Greed Corrupts : ([/align][align=center]I enjoy you words/posts, thanks...`Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
National Legal and PolicyCenter -- Organized Labor Accountability Project

UNION CORRUPTION UPDATE

Monday, October 08, 2007 -- Vol. 10, Issue 21

http://www.nlpc.org/view.asp?action=viewArticle&aid=2230

Union Corruption Watchdog Criticizes GM/UAW Deal on Health Care; Says Congress... - Auto News from September 27, 2007 [/align]
FALLS CHURCH, Va., Sept. 27 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The National Legal and Policy Center (NLPC) today objected to the tentative contract agreement between General Motors (GM) and the United Auto Workers (UAW) to transfer more than $50 billion health care in liabilities to a fund controlled by the union.

Dr. Carl Horowitz, director of the Organized Labor Accountability Project and editor of Union Corruption Update, reacted by saying, "This is a great deal for GM. They get to shed billions in obligations made to former workers. It is a great deal for the UAW. Gettelfinger and his cronies get to control billions in health care dollars. It is a lousy deal for retirees and future retirees who may lose some or all of their benefits."

Horowitz continued, "Union-controlled health and benefit plans lack transparency. That is why they so often get looted by corrupt union officials. The UAW is not clean. As we have documented, many unions have been plagued by a number of benefit scandals in recent years."

"Union-controlled health and benefit plans often shortchange union members and retirees. Instead of getting the best deal for participants, these plans are often characterized by cozy, inside deals beneficial to the union bosses, and on occasion, organized crime. With the staggering size of this proposed health fund, the UAW bosses must be salivating."

Horowitz concluded, "Congress should hold hearings on what this deal means to the tens of thousands of GM retirees and future retirees. Neither GM nor the UAW can be counted on to act in the best interests of workers. Putting the union in charge of this health fund creates a potentially huge conflict of interest for UAW leaders."
http://www.nlpc.org[/align]
[/align]