Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Driverless car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Default Driverless car?

Cars that drive themselves — even parking at their destination — could be ready for sale within a decade, General Motors Corp. executives say. GM, parts suppliers, university engineers and other automakers all are working on vehicles that could revolutionize short- and long-distance travel. And Tuesday at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, GM chief executive Rick Wagoner will devote part of his speech to the driverless vehicles. "This is not science fiction," Larry Burns, GM's vice-president for research and development, said in a recent interview. The most significant obstacles facing the vehicles could be human rather than technical: government regulation, liability laws, privacy concerns and people's passion for the automobile and the control it gives them. Much of the technology already exists for vehicles to take the wheel: radar-based cruise control, motion sensors, lane-change warning devices, electronic stability control and satellite-based digital mapping. And automated vehicles could dramatically improve life on the road, reducing crashes and congestion — if people are interested. "Now the question is, what does society want to do with it?" Burns said. "You're looking at these issues of congestion, safety, energy and emissions. Technically there should be no reason why we can't transfer to a totally different world."

GM plans to use an inexpensive computer chip and an antenna to link vehicles equipped with driverless technologies. The first use likely would be on highways; people would have the option to choose a driverless mode while they still would control the vehicle on local streets, Burns said. He said the company plans to test driverless car technology by 2015 and have cars on the road around 2018.

Sebastian Thrun, co-leader of the Stanford University team that finished second among six teams completing a 100-kilometre Pentagon-sponsored race of driverless cars in November, said GM's goal is technically attainable. But he said he wasn't confident cars would appear in showrooms within a decade. "There's some very fundamental, basic regulations in the way of that vision in many countries," said Thrun, a professor of computer science and electrical engineering. The U.S. Defence Department contest, which initially involved 35 teams, showed the technology isn't ready for prime time. One team was eliminated after its vehicle nearly charged into a building, while another vehicle mysteriously pulled into a house's carport and parked itself. Thrun said a key benefit of the technology eventually will be safer roads and reducing the roughly 42,000 U.S. traffic deaths that occur annually — 95 per cent of which he said are caused by human mistakes. "We might be able to cut those numbers down by a factor of 50 per cent," Thrun said. "Just imagine all the funerals that won't take place." Other challenges include updating vehicle codes and figuring out who would be liable in a crash and how to cope with blown tires or obstacles in the road. But the systems could be developed to tell motorists about road conditions, warn of crashes or stopped vehicles ahead and prevent collisions in intersections.

------------------------------------------------------------

I pasted this from www.cbc.ca just because I thought it would be an interesting article. Yes everyone. I am still alive and kicking..
I normally just link, But CBC is notorious for changing addresses.

What do you all think?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:07 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Driverless car?

Intersting.

Here I thought the thread was about short people. You know. You come up behind this car and you'd swear no one was driving? Only to find out when you eventually pass the driver is short and hard to seefrom behind the car.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Kinda takes the fun out of the deal doncha think. I think at least 75% of the reason people buy cars is because of the sense of control and freedom the automobilegives you. Driverless car hmmm don't they call that a bus??

Might be nice on a long boring trip though.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:29 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Besides they're usually cheaper most who buy manual transmission cars/trucks like the control they have over the vehicle.

Most of my cars are manual transmission cars.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: rj

Intersting.

Here I thought the thread was about short people. You know. You come up behind this car and you'd swear no one was driving? Only to find out when you eventually pass the driver is short and hard to seefrom behind the car.
lol thought the same thing actually, i have a short friend and we make fun of her all the time

Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 PM

I guess it would be cool. The new 72 thousand dollar Lexus LS has the assisted parking feature...I would say thats getting pretty close...the new Audi A4 also does too

Advanced Parking Guidance System[/align]The Advanced Parking Guidance System can help the driver parallel park or back the vehicle into a parking space. The driver need only confirm the desired parking space and apply the brakes when required.
[/align][/align]