Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

The Dark Knight Rises

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:44 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Great movie thats for sure ill prob go see it again

Old 07-22-2012, 09:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
It's the last in the series by Chris Nolan. No doubt it'll go through a whole new series in a few years by someone else. Granted, it most likely will not have the same look to it. But I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a new Batman movie in a few years.
This trilogy is the first Batman movies I really liked since the Tim Burton/Michael Keaton ones. Tim's version was more like a set of cartoon antics, which fit one of the many styles of Batman. I think it was funny when they quit having Burton direct Batman with the reason of "Tim's a bit too dark", really?

This set of movies, the "Dark Knight" I feel is for a more mature audience then the old Batman movies, but I really do like how well they were done. I was really wondering how well Heath Ledger was going to do as Joker (I thought Jack was an AWESOME Joker). But the Joker in the two movie sets are completely different characters, given that, I think Heath did an awesome job with the style of Joker he played (I loved how he had a different reason to tell everyone why his face was messed up).

Old 07-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
This trilogy is the first Batman movies I really liked since the Tim Burton/Michael Keaton ones. Tim's version was more like a set of cartoon antics, which fit one of the many styles of Batman. I think it was funny when they quit having Burton direct Batman with the reason of "Tim's a bit too dark", really?

This set of movies, the "Dark Knight" I feel is for a more mature audience then the old Batman movies, but I really do like how well they were done. I was really wondering how well Heath Ledger was going to do as Joker (I thought Jack was an AWESOME Joker). But the Joker in the two movie sets are completely different characters, given that, I think Heath did an awesome job with the style of Joker he played (I loved how he had a different reason to tell everyone why his face was messed up).
I completely agree. The Tim Burton movies were well done and very needed for the Batman franchise. Without the 1989 Batman film, we wouldn't have had Batman The Animated Series, which is one of the best cartoons ever made. It was like watching a bunch of mini-movies.

I did end up watching TDKR for a second time (2 total) yesterday and I still loved watching it. When I came home last night I watched The Dark Knight just to see if I still liked it after watching TDKR (I still like it). Tom Hardy's portrayel Bane was a great version of what Bane would have been in real life. Bane is a complex character with great strength and in this movie, you get to see that.

In a way it is sad that this is the last of the Nolan Batman movies, but I know that Warner Bros. will want more films based off of Batman due to his popularity. We'll see if future movies are better, but this trilogy will always be a gem, and I can't wait to own TDKR on DVD.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

We just saw it awesome movie!!

Old 07-22-2012, 02:16 PM

I saw it yesterday. I feel it was one of the greatest pieces of cinema I have ever seen. Magnificent.

REMEMBER: Keep spoilers to a minimum guys!

Old 07-22-2012, 02:36 PM

10 Year Member

One thing I noticed is this trilogy is that to my knowledge most renditions of Batman, the death of Bruce Wayne's parents is tied to the Joker (I believe most of the time before he becomes the Joker). I think this was the first time I've seen that story differ.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

My son seen it last night and said it was great. We may take my youngest son to see it this week or next week end. I like to wait till after all the buzz is over. They are still showing it in 3 theaters and that is just one cinema. That tells me there are too many people wanting to see it.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
One thing I noticed is this trilogy is that to my knowledge most renditions of Batman, the death of Bruce Wayne's parents is tied to the Joker (I believe most of the time before he becomes the Joker). I think this was the first time I've seen that story differ.
I hate to disagree, but the whole Joker being the murderor of the Wayne's is a plot devise created for the Tim Burton Batman film (1989). In the comics, it is typically told that Joe Chill (who is not the Joker) murdered Bruce's parents. Batman Begins tells the story pretty faithfully according to the original comic storys.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:35 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by zipper
I hate to disagree, but the whole Joker being the murderor of the Wayne's is a plot devise created for the Tim Burton Batman film (1989). In the comics, it is typically told that Joe Chill (who is not the Joker) murdered Bruce's parents. Batman Begins tells the story pretty faithfully according to the original comic storys.
Don't worry about disagreeing. I'm not a big enough Batman buff to know the true story line as it's been in the comics and graphic novels. I coulda swore I've seen more then one Batman rendition that Joker was related to the death of the Waynes (either directly or by someone working under him). But it could all be stemming from the same common ground.

I'm not going to loose sleep being called out on this one

Bottom line, ever since Burton was kicked out of the Batman series (and Keaton wanted too much money, hence now everyone and their brother had a shot at playing Batman), I like this new trilogy. Different, more into the details that not just explain why Bruce Wayne became Batman, but gives REAL background to his big accessories (instead of accepting he just HAD them). It's a cool series and worth the watch!