Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Cut Your Energy Bills & Put Sav'in in2 `Mod's 4 Your Monte : )

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up Cut Your Energy Bills & Put Sav'in in2 `Mod's 4 Your Monte : )

Cut Your Energy Bills & use the Saving $'s to put in2
your Chevy Monte Carlo 4-Sure
This has been a public service by our Monte Carlo Family.
Hope it helps a Member Save : ) Sharing, cause we care...
Pass it on & help someone save `ok

Thursday, September 3, 2009
Below Source

You can save $1,500 with these 4 strategies
Most homes, including yours, waste energy. That inefficiency is costing you plenty, but it doesn't have to.
Even if you've already switched to compact fluorescent bulbs and retired the refrigerator in the basement, there's more you can do. Some of the simplest projects, such as adding insulation and sealing cracks and ductwork, can yield the biggest savings. And thanks to new federal tax credits, it will take less time for those projects to pay for themselves.

More from ConsumerReports.org:

Don't Get Bitten by Credit-Card Changes

The Fine Print on Job-Loss Protection

Would You Buy That Mattress Again?
Yet in a recent nationally representative Consumer Reports survey of 2,014 Americans, only 12 percent had added or upgraded their home's insulation in the last three years. Just a paltry 5 percent had insulated their heating and cooling ductwork.
Conflicting and confusing claims can make it hard to know where the real savings are. So we've examined the claims across four key categories -- heating and cooling, water, recycling, and electricity -- and ordered them by potential money and energy savings based on national rates for electricity, gas, and water. We've also mined our survey data to figure out what consumers are doing and where there's room for improvement. The result is a road map for taking your home's energy efficiency to the next level.

1. Heating and Cooling
Annual Savings $550

More from Yahoo! Finance:

The 10 Most Expensive Cars on the Road

13 Simple Ways to Lower Your Electric Bill

What Your Dollar-Value Meal Really Costs
Visit the Family & Home Center
Approximately 40 percent of residential energy bills are for heating and cooling. That's also where you can reap the greatest savings. In the winter, warm air inside your home rises and escapes into the attic through holes and gaps. It's replaced by colder exterior air that's pulled in through cracks and gaps in the lower levels. That leads to drafty, uncomfortable rooms and high energy bills, even in newer homes. "There's a huge gap between what's in the building code and what's needed for optimal energy efficiency," says Frank O'Brien-Bernini, chief sustainability officer for Owens Corning, an insulation manufacturer.
Eliminate Leaks
Use a combination of caulk, foam board, expandable sealant, and weather stripping to fill gaps. Attics in particular are often full of holes from recessed lights, electrical wiring, chimney chases, and more. Look for dirty insulation, which is a sign of air leaks. In the basement, check for gaps around ductwork and plumbing pipes. And don't forget about window and door frames, as well as electrical outlets and switches. Cracked caulking and staining around those openings are indications of air leaks. One trick of the trade: Turn on all of the exhaust fans in the home and then use an incense stick or smoke pen to spot leaks. Or try that without the fans on a windy day.
Check Insulation Levels
If your attic has less than 11 inches of fiberglass or rock wool or 8 inches of cellulose, you would probably benefit by adding more. Also check for missing insulation, over the attic hatch, for example. Compressed insulation loses its effectiveness, so don't store things on top of it. You may also need to add insulation in the basement or crawl space. Go to www.energysavers.gov and search for "ZIP code insulation program" to find specific recommendations for your area.

Shades of GreenHere's a snapshot of those green measures that have been embraced and those that still have a ways to go.

Correct Ductwork
It's the last step, and the one that's the most overlooked. Spending $500 to seal leaky or poorly insulated ducts that run through crawl spaces, attics, or other unconditioned areas can save you about $400 per year, according to the Energy Efficient Rehab Advisor, an online calculator available at www.rehabadvisor.pathnet.org. Remediation is dirty work that requires the right materials. Leave it to a qualified heating and cooling pro.
A buttoned-up house won't leak energy, but you should still have your heating and cooling equipment inspected annually, and change furnace and A/C filters monthly. A programmable thermostat is also worth every penny. By automatically lowering your heating-system thermostat 5 to 10 degrees at night and during the day if no one is home, the device will shave up to 20 percent off of your heating costs. It can also save on cooling costs. In our survey, roughly six in ten respondents with a programmable model have seen savings. But you need to stick to those settings to save.
Easy, Low-Cost Solutions
Lock double-hung windows to prevent air from escaping. Open curtains on south-facing windows on cold days to let in the sun.

Energy All-Stars
The Lux Smart Temp Touch Screen TX9000TS programmable thermostat, $80, was especially easy to operate and maintains steady temperatures. The screen on the $55 Hunter Set & Save 44360 was easier to read than most. Some tested thermostats were so difficult to use that you might end up using more energy.

2. Water Consumption
Dollar Savings $400</B>
If you're not already aware of your household's water use, you will be soon. Almost four in five states anticipate water shortages by 2013, which could lead to steeper rates and penalties for excessive use. When it comes to showering and washing dishes and clothes, you're also paying to heat the water.
Stop Drips
It's the fastest way to conserve, saving the average household about $70 a year. Next, upgrade to water-efficient fixtures. Low-flow showerheads can save as much as $265 per year on water bills. "A $30 showerhead can save more money than $3,000 worth of solar panels," says Charlie Szoradi, of Green and Save, a company based in Devon, Pa., that analyzes the payback of energy-efficiency projects. Switching to a low-flow toilet, which uses 1.28 gallons per flush compared with the 3.5 to 5 gallons of a 15-year-old or older model, can save $90. Also check for utility rebates.
Watch the Water Heater
Lower the temperature to 120° F and insulate your hot-water pipes. If your unit is more than a decade old, do your research now. That way you'll get a new unit that has a long warranty and is sized appropriately, not whatever's on the truck of the only plumber who calls you back when your old heater breaks.
Easy, Low-Cost Solutions
Insulate your water heater. Don't prerinse dishes before loading them into the dishwasher. Add an aerator to faucets.

Energy All-Stars
Kohler's Cimarron K-3609 toilet, $300, excelled in our solid and liquid tests and used 1.28 gallons per flush.
Our testers described the watersaving American Standard FlowWise Dual Function 1660.717 showerhead, $50, as refreshing and stimulating. The Moen Inspire 21777, also $50, used slightly more water but has more settings.

3. Recycling
Dollar Savings $250</B>
Though recycling saves the least money, it generated some of the highest results in our survey. Two-thirds of people said they recycle paper and plastic, and over half recycle metal and glass -- proof that being green isn't just about saving green.
Rewards and Penalties Initiated
RecycleBank, which is now used by a million people across 20 states, lets you put all of your recyclables in one container instead of separating them by type. Then it weighs the container and issues rewards or points redeemable at local retailers. The average household gets $250 worth. "Pay As You Throw" programs, in 7,100 communities nationwide according to Skumatz Economic Research Associates of Superior, Colo., treat trash like a utility: Homeowners are charged for the garbage they throw out. And if you're not redeeming bottle deposits, you're not alone. Millions of dollars are unclaimed every year.
Nontraditional Recycling Is Low
Our survey revealed less widespread recycling rates for items such as batteries (32 percent), printer cartridges (30 percent), small electronics (17 percent), CFLs (16 percent), and large electronics (12 percent). Some of the most common reasons for throwing items away instead of recycling them were that people didn't think the item could be recycled or they didn't have enough information to do so. But just about everything that comes into the home can be recycled. The Web site Earth911.com lists more than 100,000 recycling locations, which can be searched by material and ZIP code. If you come up empty there, contact your department of solid-waste management.
A large percentage of respondents told us they donated or otherwise gave away certain household items, including furniture (29 percent), small appliances (28 percent), and major appliances (21 percent). If you go that route, first check with the Better Business Bureau (www.give.org) or Charity Navigator (www.charitynavigator.org) to make sure you're giving to a worthy cause.
Easy, Low-Cost Solutions

Start a compost bin for organic food scraps or ask whether the local farmers market will take them. Trade household items on sites such as freecycle.org. Invest in a reusable water container to cut down on your household's use of plastic water bottles. Take spent CFLs to a Home Depot for recycling.
Energy All-Stars
Whole Foods Recycled Foldable Tote, $4, was especially good at containing leaks and isn't as bulky as most bags. Its $1 cousin, A Better Bag, held the most and can be returned if it rips. But it absorbed leaks, so spills are a bit harder to clean.

Page 1 | 2

Last edited by Space; 09-06-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:17 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Saw this thismorning on yahoo, great tips. So mabye I should leave my computer on about 2 weeks at a time?? LOL

Old 09-06-2009, 10:21 AM

LoL `Brock, yes U don't wanta miss anything : ) LOL
I operate mine on Solar Power LoL It's a SpaceThing : )
I don't sleep...I just sit here & think of things to share lol
I heard there's a life out there ?

Attached Thumbnails Cut Your Energy Bills &amp; Put Sav'in in2 `Mod's 4 Your Monte : )-pw.jpg  
Old 09-06-2009, 10:38 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

LOL the hands are so weird!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
LOL the hands are so weird!
Brock, now U R mak'in fun of my hands LoL

Well, I have a finger 4 U, I just 4-got which one it is LOL
We R highJack'in this important Public Service Annoncement I'm gona report us to `Lou
p.s. I won't 4-Get 4-Sure : )

Last edited by Space; 09-06-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:49 AM

Sorry Member's, this thread has fell in2 the toilet Please Remember 2 Flush lol

Old 09-07-2009, 04:37 AM

'space my friend, you sure can pull some very interesting pictures up...

do have a HDD full of misc .jpg/.gif?

Old 09-07-2009, 05:01 AM

...No, I use 2, but lost them in a crash : ( Now I just search 4 them...
I like to add them to my posts in a attempt to add some character & color and hopefully entertain a few of our family member's. : )
I'm just doing my best to fill in the empty spaces & encourage other family member's to post their words/thoughts/pictures/gif's : )
To me it makes it more fun & entertaining. You come `up with some good ones 4- Sure. I really enjoy your posts & contributions...Thanks much 4- Sure....Wish U & the readers a `Happy...EnJoy...

Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

lol i don't even know what to sayy!
but i most def saw those animal hand puppet things (lol!) on a commerical on animal planet one time =D

Old 09-07-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
lol i don't even know what to sayy!
Originally Posted by SpinEm_90

but i most def saw those animal hand puppet things (lol!) on a commerical on animal planet one time =D

Yes, my hands have gone where no hands have gone b-4, even
on animal planet & also Space Planet lol
* I found those on a Web Seach : ), but I think they
are wild 4-Sure : ) I am always amazed @ all the artistic
people on our planet : )