Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Concealed Carry Class

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Concealed Carry Class

I took a 1 day concealed carry class on Sunday, there were 8 of us in the class and it was taught by an LEO (law enforcement officer). It was a lot of fun, the gun part and test were extremely basic covering parts of guns, bullets, and general gun safety. I was a bit surprised the test was so easy and didn't include any type of questions regarding the laws for concealed carrying.

Talking about the laws and possible situations was the best part, lots of great discussion. We also discussed gun cleaning, holsters, calibers, and watched a video that showed different calibers of guns shooting different types of ammo into a gel that simulated a person so you could see how much damage is actually inflicted by caliber and defensive types of rounds.

The LEO, Scott, was very cool. He was very positive and supportive of the right of civilians to carry (2nd amendment) and especially conceal carry (open carry is legal in Ohio). He said the officers in their department support civilians concealed carrying and several of them teach the concealed carry classes. He said he is more at ease at a traffic stop if when he runs the plate it comes back that you have a concealed carry permit because that means you've been trained and through a background check. Just make sure you mention your carrying when he walks up to the car.

The shooting part of the class was pretty good too. We went through a couple exercises of raising our pistols and shooting targets in different stances, weaver and isosceles as well as shooting 1-handed and 2-handed. We did an exercise of shooting for accuracy and then another for shooting with speed while still being as accurate as possible.

Overall the class was very good and I would highly recommend it to everyone even if you do not plan to conceal carry but just have a weapon for home defense. Going over all of the weapon laws including the Castle Doctrine is very good to know. Hopefully turn around time for the Cuyahoga county sheriffs office is good and I'll have my permit soon.

For anyone in the area interested this is where I went - *On Target Defense CCW Training - Home

Old 04-25-2012, 05:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Awesome! I'm looking to take the class offered here as soon as I turn 21, legal age to carry in Iowa I believe. Not sure how often I will actually carry but it would be great just to have the training/permit. I believe the classes around here are a little more than one day though.

Do you plan on carrying very often and do you have many guns?

Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

that sounds cool... do you need to go to the class to get the permit? here in pa you just go to the court house and they issue it there is no training needed.....

Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
Awesome! I'm looking to take the class offered here as soon as I turn 21, legal age to carry in Iowa I believe. Not sure how often I will actually carry but it would be great just to have the training/permit. I believe the classes around here are a little more than one day though.

Do you plan on carrying very often and do you have many guns?
i carry almost all the time, and have many guns lol

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM

Just bought a weapon, plan on getting comfortable with it and then take a CCW course (here in SC it's an 8 hr course). Also don't intend on carrying all the time but the additional knowledge and the ability to carry if and when I need to is the main reason I plan on taking the course.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:59 AM

The only pistol I have is a CZ P-01 9mm and I do not plan to carry very often at all. I love the CZ, after shooting it nothing else I've shot seems to compare. I do like to go to the range and shoot quite a bit, having the permit makes it less of a pain to legally transport firearms. I bought some Meprolight night sights for it, just trying to find a gunsmith to install them

The requirement for Ohio is 12 hours of class so they do have classes that are a week long and a couple hours a night or 6 hours on a Saturday and Sunday but I just wanted to knock it out in one 12 hour day class.

Turbo, that does not sound like a good thing to me. I prefer that a class or some kind of training be required, it may help deter some of the yahoos from carrying. Of course we had one clown in our class I was hoping the instructor would toss out, the guy was just such an idiot... Kept asking if he could bring his AK for the shooting part of the test and the gun he did bring was a Taurus .45 semi-auto with a broken spring It's like, just throw the guy out, he is too stupid to be carrying a gun in public.

Last edited by Nocturnx; 04-27-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Here's an old story I like to share with you. Seems this older gentleman & his wife were traveling for the summer months. ( He's retired) He's driving his motorhome one afternoon. And he gets pulled over by police. He pulls over and get out. The officer tells him he made a illegal turn. He says Sorry were lost and I didn't see the sign. Then the officer asks for some ID. He has to go back in the M/home to get it. The officer follows him in. Greets his wife & tells them they have a beautiful M/home. Then the officer see the pistol on the dash. He puts his hand on his weapon and ask if the gentleman has a premit for the gun. He say no sir I don't it was my fathers and I got it in his will. The officer ask him why is he carrying it ? He tells the officer. SIR! I'd rather have you catch me with it. Then some of them young kids catch me with out it! The office runs wants & warrents. from his radio. Tell the gentleman how to get where he's going. And then tells him.......If I were you. I'd get a permit for the weapon as soon as you can. Then tell them both to have a nice day.