Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Computer help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03Monte

no, it's not home **** movies...lol
Is that why you bought that 20TB server you mentioned?

Jerry, please keep us updated! Good Luck man! Hope you don't lose everything.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nichols2k
Malwarebytes and superantispyware. lately superantispyware has been more successful than malwarebytes. My users get that 'fake security' virus the most.
Reference your missing files, a while back a user got a virus that set all his files to 'hidden'. Go into "c:\documents and settings\whateverurusernameis" (or c:\users) and turn on the option to 'show hidden files'. (its in folder properties or 'folder and search options')

I'd copy your favorites, documents, pics, and music out to an external hard drive and then restore your system from the original CD/DVD's. Many viruses infect your system restore images too, so restoring back a couple days doesn't help.
Good news, I followed your instructions and those files were hidden, got them all back. Only thing is when I open my pics, it is hard to see them but when I click the folder and open them they are good. Dont know about that one. I am going to back them up along with my music this weekend. I ran spybot that I already had, then the malware as suggested. I dont think I am out of the woods just yet but have my stuff back. Thanks everyone for the assistance. Greatly appreciated.

One other question-how many Montes are up top in the header? I see three, thought there were more. The red 6th gen is the last one on my right.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 77gp
Good news, I followed your instructions and those files were hidden, got them all back. Only thing is when I open my pics, it is hard to see them but when I click the folder and open them they are good. Dont know about that one. I am going to back them up along with my music this weekend. I ran spybot that I already had, then the malware as suggested. I dont think I am out of the woods just yet but have my stuff back. Thanks everyone for the assistance. Greatly appreciated.

One other question-how many Montes are up top in the header? I see three, thought there were more. The red 6th gen is the last one on my right.
That's great to hear Jerry. Back everything up that you can. There still may be remnants of the virus hidden deep in your system. But if all your stuff is backed up, you may want to reformat if your computer is still acting strange.

As for the Montes at the top of the page. There's three cars. A black 4th gen, a red 1st gen, and a red 6th gen. The banner logo across the top has hints to 5 of the 7 generations. The three cars represent generations 1, 4, and 6. The "SS" above the black Monte is from the 7th generation. And the words "MONTE CARLO" on the left side is reminiscent of the 5th generation. I don't know what happened to generations 2 and 3, but the designer in the tech department isn't overly familiar with Monte Carlo's. So all in all, he/she did a great job. It's a 1000% improvement over our old banner logo.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:53 PM

5 Year Member
Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 PM

5 Year Member

Here is my address bar, dont think its right either. Wheres the WWW? And shouldnt it be HTTPS?
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/

Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 77gp
Here is my address bar, dont think its right either. Wheres the WWW? And shouldnt it be HTTPS?
Off Topic - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums
That info is correct. As strange as it is, when you type in www.montecarloforum.com, it redirects you to this:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/

and https only comes up if you're on a secure site. The forum is not considered to be a "secure" website since no financial or personal info is being transferred.

But back to your computer.

It definitely sounds like you still have something buried deep in your system somewhere. If I were you, I would backup your important files. Then reformat the entire hard drive. Re-install windows and all your programs fresh. Then scan the hell out of the back-up copy of your important files. Make sure the virus isn't hiding anywhere in your back up. Otherwise you'll just re-infect your computer.

If you do any kind of banking or financial transactions online, you really don't want to take a chance at some hacker getting your info. Identity theft is a huge problem!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:36 PM

reference your search issue --
go to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
in there, there is a file named 'host' (no extension). right click and select 'open with' and select 'notepad'.
there should only be one entry '127.0.0.0 local'
Remove any other references and save it. If it won't let you save it, then let me know and I'll have to find you a link that explains how to set it back so you can remove it. I can't explain that as easily. This file is the first place your computer looks to get IP addresses for websites and viruses will put junk in there to redirect you to there spoofed search sites. Also check in you internet explorer options - connections - 'lan settings' and make sure 'use a proxy' is NOT checked... another way viruses direct you to/through them

You may also want to go into your internet explorer options - advanced - and select 'reset'. it will reset all your explorer options back to default as if you just installed it. copy your favorites, though because it may remove them.

Glad I could help with the files.... I'm lucky I get to work at what I love and come home to what I love!

edit "x2 to what taz said" you can ignore all this if you follow his advice which is a good choice too!

Last edited by nichols2k; 06-30-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 06-30-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Geez what are you doing downloading the whole internet.

Jerry I hate viruses and usually just reformat if I get one. I keep everything backed up on a removable Hard drive.

This is the only way to do it Why have a 1TB internal HD when it'll likely just get corrupted? Just buy an external HD, preferably portable so you don't have to plug it into the wall, and back up ALL of your movies, music, photos, files, etc regularly. Then, when you need to, or if your computer is acting weird/slow, just reformat your computer (takes maybe a couple hours tops?) and back to new!

My MacBook Pro took less than 40 minutes to delete the entire HD and reinstall OS X ...You may be wondering why I had to reformat it? No, I didn't have any viruses. I just wanted to delete everything that I downloaded over the last school year and haven't used.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

To be honest. I'm surprised the Mac users haven't chimed in. Telling Jerry to back up his files, throw his windows PC in the garbage, and go buy an Mac.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
To be honest. I'm surprised the Mac users haven't told Jerry to back up his files, throw his windows PC in the garbage, and go buy an Mac.
That's like telling a ford owner to go total his car, collect insurance, and buy a Monte...if they can't figure it out on their own, maybe they shouldn't own a Monte :p

Quick Reply: Computer help