Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Computer help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Computer help

My computer had some type of virus earlier today and I restored ot to Tuesday. Seems to work fine but now all my music, pics and favorites have disappeared. Thing is when I told it to save this site to favorites, it said it already existed. So where are they? Da#m people and their viruses. I checked recycle bin and they arent there. Any ideas anyone????Please.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:29 PM

I'd say that the virus is not gone and that is why your stuff is disappearing. You'll likely want to reformat your hard drive if possible in order to ensure that the virus is gone.

As for recovering your files, that may be tough. Are you getting any kind of windows or pop ups that are related to the virus? Look for anything on them, names, etc. Pop those into google and see what other people have said about the virus. Trust me, you are not the only person in the world that has had this virus...and therefore, someone likely knows something about it.

Good luck!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:32 PM

were the file there after the restore, and then disappeared?

a restore does not normally change user files, only system files and installed programs.

do you know what virus you had, if could have moved/deleted your missing files...also any Anti Virus could have deleted them if they were infected..

Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Furder2010
You'll likely want to reformat your hard drive if possible in order to ensure that the virus is gone.

i concur, this is the only true way to remove a virus...unless it's moved to the BIOS.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 PM

5 Year Member

Not sure what the virus was but all of a sudden I had screens coming up from my taskbar in the lower right saying my hard drive was corrupt and files missing I think. There were about 10 of them. I finally ended up restarting it and same thing. Then did safe mode and did a system restore to a couple days ago.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 PM

5 Year Member

Man I to reformat this thing again but if necessary, I have the software.
Maybe tomorrow. I am almost finished with a full scan of Microsoft security essentials.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:40 PM

Good luck with the reformat, if it's xp you could be up and running in 45 minutes.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:44 PM

5 Year Member

Thanks, I see you are attempting to give a damn, oh wait process failed like my laptop. LOL. It is XP but I cant remember if I borrowed it or not from a coworker. We will see how long this works. Maybe I will wake up and it will all be good. Ha.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by 77gp
Thanks, I see you are attempting to give a damn, oh wait process failed like my laptop. LOL. It is XP but I cant remember if I borrowed it or not from a coworker. We will see how long this works. Maybe I will wake up and it will all be good. Ha.
LOL!

xp can easily be found on the internet, im pretty sure microsuck don't support xp anymore...so the risk level is fairly low (if you look find a corporate edition)

Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey GP77... When my computer really gets smoked, like the last time, nano seconds after start up she goes to black... The only thing I did in the past was take it to Tiger Direct and let the those fantastic geeks fix it and charge me a wopping $125.00 to do it... Now here's my gift to you & other great members on here, I eventually had one of them take pitty on me and show me the program they us to clean computers and it has saved me 2 or 3 times since... Just download "Malwarebytes - Anti Malware" it is free and one of the best on the market without getting to the heavy stuff that only the Managers of these places carry... Try it out and let us know... I swear by it...

Last edited by Crusader SS; 06-29-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Computer help