Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Camaro Frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 AM

The measurements you are seeking are available. You will find them in either the Mitchell or Motor Crash body manuals. You can find used ones on ebay. These are the manuals the body shops use where repairing wrecks and all the critical dimensions are there as well as parts numbers and breakdowns of part assemblies.
All of the Camaros from the beginning to now are all unibody cars. However the construction of them are different. The first gen 1967-1969 and the second gen 1970-1981 had a front subframe that connected to the unibody at about the front seat area. The third gen and fourth gen 1982 and up are true unibody with no subframe. I would think that the best way to make a FWD Monte into a RWD would be to get a third gen Camaro and use it as a donor car. You could adapt the rear differential mountings onto your Monte from the Camaro. You could also modify and use the tranny and drive shaft tunnel. That would allow you to fit the driveshaft and tranny into the Monte. That leaves the shock towers and the motor mounts. Again I think they could be adapted from the Camaro. It will still ba a lot of fabrication but where there is a will there is a way. If you can do this then making rear seats and a console fit should be easy.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by DRuben
Might be but ugh arent you tired of fwd?
I have an '84 Camaro in my garage I used to drive until it spun a rod bearing. Now it's in pieces all over the garage. My plans are to completely restore this beast better then it ever was.

I'm not tired of FWD, besides, they are usually better handling in winter then RWD. BUT, when I want to play with a RWD car, I'll play with the Camaro.

I don't mean to send the wrong message. A 6th gen RWD drive Monte I think would be a true head turner! And I bet if it can be done and everything looks right, it will haul butt on a drag course!! It has it's perks! It comes with a lot of work. Right now, do your research. If it looks possible and looks like something you want to pursue, go for it. Heck in thinking about it, who knows, perhaps parts off an F-Body are not the way to go, there might be a better donor vehicle more accommodating to this swap.
Just don't think I'm raining on your parade, I just wanted to ensure you understood, neither car is a full frame, as Taz pointed out, there will be a lot of custom fabrication to make this a reality.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:22 AM

I saw where someone did a RWD conversion on a W-body Grand Prix (97-03 body style). I forget where the thread is but it was a ton of work and it took a lot of trial and error to get everything right.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
I saw where someone did a RWD conversion on a W-body Grand Prix (97-03 body style). I forget where the thread is but it was a ton of work and it took a lot of trial and error to get everything right.
I do remember that. I can't remember exactly where I read it. But it was a butt-load of work, and not cheap either.

Originally Posted by Wilco
FWD's with the right "Stuff" can be fun to drive and won't require an engineering degree to do. RWD conversions could be fun if they weren't so involved: i.e., welding till your eyes bleed. You can always got turbo, beef up the trans into a 4T65E-HD (including all the hardened pieces like the input and output shafts, Kevlar bands, among others) with an LSD differential and an L26 block and UIM, N* TB, HV3, ported LIM and you're set. You can get the transmission from trannyman, the LSD diff from Quaife, and look up zzp for everything else. Also, most of the stuff for the engine like rockers, cam, rods you can get used.
Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
The measurements you are seeking are available. You will find them in either the Mitchell or Motor Crash body manuals. You can find used ones on ebay. These are the manuals the body shops use where repairing wrecks and all the critical dimensions are there as well as parts numbers and breakdowns of part assemblies.
All of the Camaros from the beginning to now are all unibody cars. However the construction of them are different. The first gen 1967-1969 and the second gen 1970-1981 had a front subframe that connected to the unibody at about the front seat area. The third gen and fourth gen 1982 and up are true unibody with no subframe. I would think that the best way to make a FWD Monte into a RWD would be to get a third gen Camaro and use it as a donor car. You could adapt the rear differential mountings onto your Monte from the Camaro. You could also modify and use the tranny and drive shaft tunnel. That would allow you to fit the driveshaft and tranny into the Monte. That leaves the shock towers and the motor mounts. Again I think they could be adapted from the Camaro. It will still ba a lot of fabrication but where there is a will there is a way. If you can do this then making rear seats and a console fit should be easy.
Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I have an '84 Camaro in my garage I used to drive until it spun a rod bearing. Now it's in pieces all over the garage. My plans are to completely restore this beast better then it ever was.

I'm not tired of FWD, besides, they are usually better handling in winter then RWD. BUT, when I want to play with a RWD car, I'll play with the Camaro.

I don't mean to send the wrong message. A 6th gen RWD drive Monte I think would be a true head turner! And I bet if it can be done and everything looks right, it will haul butt on a drag course!! It has it's perks! It comes with a lot of work. Right now, do your research. If it looks possible and looks like something you want to pursue, go for it. Heck in thinking about it, who knows, perhaps parts off an F-Body are not the way to go, there might be a better donor vehicle more accommodating to this swap.
Just don't think I'm raining on your parade, I just wanted to ensure you understood, neither car is a full frame, as Taz pointed out, there will be a lot of custom fabrication to make this a reality.

Translation of those 3 posts:

Put the money you're gonna spend on the work toward a Camaro and simply slap some Monte badges on it.

I will say this...

Late model Corvette's wheelbase is only 6 inches shorter than a Monte. Instead of 9.5 inches for the Camaro. Maybe something to consider.

On the bright side, the Camaro and Corvette may be RWD V8's. But the Monte has a longer wheelbase. And as we all know, size matters.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
On the bright side, the Camaro and Corvette may be RWD V8's. But the Monte has a longer wheelbase. And as we all know, size matters.
Unless something changed, if I recall late model Vettes.... The engine is in the front and the transmission is actually in the back of the car (I assume to help distribute the weight).

Old 12-21-2011, 08:47 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

C5 & newer vettes the trans is in the rear, & its honestly the best way to go for a rear drive monte so u wouldnt have to mod the tunnel much for it to work, you usually can pick up a vette running gear for $8k or less, it basicly includes front & rear suspension, cradle, motor trans, torque tube, everything

Old 12-21-2011, 08:51 PM

Old 12-22-2011, 07:13 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
That would be pretty sweet under either of my montes

Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 PM

Lol id love to put one under my old 30s hot rod ima build