Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Camaro Frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's the only dimensions I could find for the third gen. It's for the 1989 Camaro.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Camaro Frame-89-camaro-dimensions.jpg  
Old 12-20-2011, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Thinking about a RWD swap?
Just weighing my options first, seeing if it would be money to fab and convert the Monte or to do a body swap.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
Here's the only dimensions I could find for the third gen. It's for the 1989 Camaro.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! The third gen is kinda close to the Monte.

Monte wheelbase bigger by 9.5 in
Monte Length is bigger by 5.9 in
Camaro width is bigger by .1 in
Monte height is bigger by 4.9 in

Looks like there will be some slag over the camaros frame but not by much. Some good ol braces and supports can tie this car down and have it looking good.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Something to keep in mind is the transmission tunnel running the length of the car. The hump in the floor of your 2002 isn't large enough to accomodate a RWD tranny. It would have to be made larger. Which means your center console and back seat won't fit properly anymore. You'll have to alter them also.

It's a cool idea. Many people have considered it. Most gave up on it when they found out they couldn't simply drop the Monte's body onto a Camaro drive train and bolt it up and go.

Not the most practical thing in the world. But if you have the ambition and the money, anything is possible. It would be cool to see someone actually do it successfully.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by DRuben
Thanks! The third gen is kinda close to the Monte.

Monte wheelbase bigger by 9.5 in
That's the part that made most people give up. Their choice was to either extend the Camaro's frame (and everything else with it). Or chop 9-10 inches out of the Monte's body.

Now granted these were people who didn't have the means to do major work like that. They thought they could do a simple bolt-up and go with no cutting or welding.

If you're up for some major modifying, and if you have the time and money, it's a cool project.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
Something to keep in mind is the transmission tunnel running the length of the car. The hump in the floor of your 2002 isn't large enough to accomodate a RWD tranny. It would have to be made larger. Which means your center console and back seat won't fit properly anymore. You'll have to alter them also.

It's a cool idea. Many people have considered it. Most gave up on it when they found out they couldn't simply drop the Monte's body onto a Camaro drive train and bolt it up and go.

Not the most practical thing in the world. But if you have the ambition and the money, anything is possible. It would be cool to see someone actually do it successfully.
Yea i figured that Im gonna have to fab the monte body. Im not gonna jump and say im gonna do it but Im seeing what all needs to be done and what problems I will encounter. The only problems I can see myself running intois the wiring and electrical things. As far as cutting, welding, and measurements I can say that im above average.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
That's the part that made most people give up. Their choice was to either extend the Camaro's frame (and everything else with it). Or chop 9-10 inches out of the Monte's body.

Now granted these were people who didn't have the means to do major work like that. They thought they could do a simple bolt-up and go with no cutting or welding.

If you're up for some major modifying, and if you have the time and money, it's a cool project.
Whoa! That is a big problem lol. Didnt think much of it but I now see that it is definately big. The easiest way I can see that being fixed is to chop off 9 1/2 inches of the monte right behind the doors and lose the whole back seat, good reason for a nice sound system :p

Old 12-20-2011, 08:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Nothing wrong with looking the idea over and thinking it through. I've seen someone convert a 80's Cavvy to RWD and drop a mid-late 90's Vette engine under the hood. Complete SLEEPER car! Took a LOT of custom fab to make it work.

But again, keep in mind, the Monte and the Camaro are NOT full frame cars, so there is no "unbolt this frame, slide in a this other frame". As Taz pointed out, welding and custom fab.

Might be better trying to do a FWD v8 swap.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Nothing wrong with looking the idea over and thinking it through. I've seen someone convert a 80's Cavvy to RWD and drop a mid-late 90's Vette engine under the hood. Complete SLEEPER car! Took a LOT of custom fab to make it work.

But again, keep in mind, the Monte and the Camaro are NOT full frame cars, so there is no "unbolt this frame, slide in a this other frame". As Taz pointed out, welding and custom fab.

Might be better trying to do a FWD v8 swap.
Might be but ugh arent you tired of fwd?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 PM

FWD's with the right "Stuff" can be fun to drive and won't require an engineering degree to do. RWD conversions could be fun if they weren't so involved: i.e., welding till your eyes bleed. You can always got turbo, beef up the trans into a 4T65E-HD (including all the hardened pieces like the input and output shafts, Kevlar bands, among others) with an LSD differential and an L26 block and UIM, N* TB, HV3, ported LIM and you're set. You can get the transmission from trannyman, the LSD diff from Quaife, and look up zzp for everything else. Also, most of the stuff for the engine like rockers, cam, rods you can get used.

Quick Reply: Camaro Frame