Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

A bit POed right now

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Almost $700 for a new radio and no guarantees that'll fix it. They won't credit me any for the BCM because they said that was causing a consant draw and this is a fluctuating draw - saying it's 2 different things. I want to just go with an aftermarket but hear nightmares about things not working right afterward and people relocating the orginal to the glovebox. Well, I can't very well do that since it's not working right now.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:46 PM

Ouch, that sucks big time. Can you get a junk yard head unit and see if it solves the issue?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The problem with aftermarket stereos is you typically lose the warning chimes, OnStar (if you even subscribe to it), and the other functions performed through the factory radio (TPM reset, Oil life reset, etc...). And you're steering wheel buttons don't work. Unless you do some custom wiring.

If you go with a GM unit, maybe look into getting one of the ones that plays MP3's. The one's out of the cavalier/cobalt (can't remember which). They're exactly the same as the Monte stereo but plays MP3's also. There's a thread on here about it. You should be able to find the radio at a junk yard or ebay.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Photobucket

I've been emailing clutchfield all day asking questions.

"We have an installation kit, antenna adapter, and that GMOS-04 adapter for the installation of a new receiver in your Monte Carlo. The GMOS-04 interface not only retains the factory chimes, but it also allows you to retain OnStar if it's present. It also will integrate the new receiver's wiring with the stock Bose amps and speakers.

A set of wire connectors can help make your receiver installation go more quickly - you will need to connect the wires from the new receiver securely to the wires of the custom harness we offer. We have a wire connector kit available that's perfect for this job"

Then

"I'm not aware of any of the issues you mentioned occurring when replacing the factory stereo. The GMOS adapter is designed to help insure that everything works as it did with the factory stereo. It appears the odd issues we've encountered are the programming issues that Niles mentioned."

Those "programming issues" were having to manually reset the TPM and oil life, which I have to manually set now anyway since it's not working. There's an adapter you can get for certain radios that will allow the use of the steering controls which I also cannot use at the moment because of the hunk of junk that's in there.

I asked the Chevy dealer about programing a used one. They said about 50% of them won't program. I found a used one for $40 but whether it'll program or not, I'll have to pay $100 at the dealer.

For now it has been disconnected, at least this way I'll know for certain if it's the radio or not. If my battery dies again, it can't be the radio. Also if I don't have any issues with gauges and other things going nuts as I've read else, then I should be safe to go aftermarket. The service writer at Chevy said he has an aftermarket in his GM vehicle and has had no problems but has heard of a few people that have - if not wired properly. After I see how it does with no radio, I'll decide which way I want to go, but I cannot afford a new one at close to 700 bucks.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

To add to Taz's comments, you the GM MP3 stereo compatible with the 6th gen Monte (or at least my '04 Monte) comes from a '03-'05 Cavalier and Venture Van. It's part number 10348717. I got one dropped into my Monte and had a guy with a GM Tech II program it and it's just like stock with the MP3 feature. I love it!

I also speculate the MP3 Pontiac radio from the '04-'05 SunFire/Montana/Aztek will work (as the SunFire and Cavy are the same car essentially, the wiring is probably all the same).

Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

Thanks Maniac. I was hoping someone would remember.

Becky, I don't blame you for not spending $700 for a new one. That's crazy. Either go aftermarket, or used.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Photobucket

Even more pi$$ed now! Picked my car up yesterday after telling them to just disconnect the radio and now my damn turn signals/hazards don't work. Gotta take it back AGAIN! I hope they just left something disconnected because they were working when I took it up there - I used them turning into their service department! And they had better not try to charge me or tell me they are broke!! I'm almost afraid to go out and see if I still have a live battery........

Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Photobucket

Bright lights and it fired right up this morning - I finally got brave and tried it, LOL. Will let it set another day or so before taking it back.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

Becky, I think your Monte is posessed. You need an exorcist. Not a mechanic.