Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Auto machanics or auto body?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:57 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
I think you made a wise choice. Something else to consider. Many school districts will allow adult students to come back along with the other students. Perhaps you can come back after graduation and finish the second year. It might be worth discussing with your guidance councilor. I had done that to learn typing.
yes i would be able to go back for $5,000 and finish the second year,but most kids who try and work hard there second year the teacher is able to get them a job and they dont even come to class,just check in everyonce in awhile
Originally Posted by Budsjlm
My only imput is somthing the g/f's dad had told me some time ago when i was thinking of making a career in working on cars,

Don't make a hobby into a career,
(i didn't listen too well since i do my detailing on the side)

you will enjoy it that much more if you decide to take the classes and obtain that knowledge but not have to do the work day in and day out,

Now i can't speak for everyone but i can say if i was wrenching on other peoples crap all day i sure wouldn't want to start wrenching on my own...

when i was working at a trailer shop(Semi) i would come home and be so burn out on wrenching i didn't even want to look at somthing that needed work o and 1inch longe shaft impacts are beasts!
And yes i probally wont be paint for a career but i figured i need to come outta high school with something,so why not something with cars?:p

Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by 04chevyboy
yes i would be able to go back for $5,000 and finish the second year,but most kids who try and work hard there second year the teacher is able to get them a job and they dont even come to class,just check in everyonce in awhile

And yes i probally wont be paint for a career but i figured i need to come outta high school with something,so why not something with cars?:p
I graduated high school in 1982. I took auto mech my junior and senior year because it was easy and my second year I only had to check in once a week and did work co-op at the salvage yard that I was already working at. I took the easy way out and didn't take full advantage of the opportunities that I had. I didn't learn nearly as much as I could have but I was trying to support myself as well. I wish I had done things differently. My advice is do what makes sense and not just because it is easy.

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 02-10-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 PM

I graduated high school in 1982. I took auto mechmy junior and senior year because it was easy and my second year I only had to check in once a week and did work co-op at the salvage yard that I was already working at. I took the easy way out and didn't take full advantage of the opportunities that I had. I didn't learn nearly as much as I could have but I was trying to support myself as well. I wish I had done things differently. My advice is do what makes sense and not just because it is easy.
I understand what you mean,the easy way out would be having 4 study halls a day lol,im glad i will be able to come outta school with some sort of trade tho!

Old 02-11-2012, 05:03 PM

There will always be work for a good body man and for someone with welding skills.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:09 PM

There will always be work for a good body man and for someone with welding skills.
Im pretty sure theres some welding involved with the auto body class i signed up for!

Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 PM

Im pretty sure theres some welding involved with the auto body class i signed up for!
That is a good thing. Get proficient with a mig welder, tig welder if they teach it, and a plasma cutter. Welding plastic will become even more important too.

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 02-13-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM

That is a good thing. Get proficient with a mig welder, gig welder if they teach it, and a plasma cutter. Welding plastic will become even more important too.
Ill try to do what i get too:p lol

Old 02-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

glad to hear you went with auto body man!

now let me know when you're good enough to do the 1/4 panels on my buick & give her a paint job!! lol

Old 02-14-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by skylark65
glad to hear you went with auto body man!

now let me know when you're good enough to do the 1/4 panels on my buick & give her a paint job!! lol
Will do man I plan on doing some work to the monte,best part is it will all be free!!:p

Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM

Will do man I plan on doing some work to the monte,best part is it will all be free!!:p
Free is always a bonus.

Quick Reply: Auto machanics or auto body?