Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Auto machanics or auto body?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
I would go the auto body route. Technology in auto body isn't changing as fast as auto mechanics is. The skills you learn in auto mechanics today are obsolete in five years. You have to keep learning just to try to keep up.
Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I'd take the auto body course. It's easy to learn about mechanics in your driveway. To be honest, I don't think I ever learned a thing in a mechanics class. Its just time spent working on cars that you learn from. A auto body course will teach you things you would otherwise never learn witHout investing a lot of money. And paint these days (especially VOC compliant) is too expensive to learn by trial-and-error. It's a great skill to have and learn on someone else's dime
^^ i'm with these guys, auto body is a skill that will stay more relavant as technology becomes more advanced. and, from what i've seen locally, good auto body techs are in higher demand than service techs, and the body shop jobs are typically much better paying.

also, if they offer welding courses, i would consider taking that. good welders typically get paid very, VERY good.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd try both and see which one you like. I'm not a major fan of doing engine work. I do it, but I do'nt enjoy it as much. I really enjoy doing bondo, primer, and paint though. You may love doing engine work and discover you hate picking up a sanding block and can't stand adjusting the paint gun. You may prefer setting your torque wrench or getting oil and antifreeze on your hands. Maybe you love the joy of taking something that was visible damaged and making it look like nothing ever happened. You may enjoy the challenge of making that paint job as smooth and shiny as possible.

Plus, cars these days just don't break down as much as the older ones did, and they are getting more and more reliable yet. Maintenance is being reduced to basically oil changes.

However, drivers are more distracted now than ever. And no matter how reliable the car, they will always be crashed and always need repair. For this reason, I think auto body will keep you in business longer for more money than mechanics will. But either way, you're in a good career.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 02-09-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:34 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would go with machanics. There are a lot more job openings in that profession.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM

i am taking welding class in high school right now due to the fact that a welder gets paid like $25 an hour starting out.

i'd do the auto body, my dad was a body shop manager for like 12-14 years, so he has taught me some stuff and that and i find it really interesting. My dad is now a service manager so i am at the shop everyday after school trying to learn stuff from his techs just watching them and asking questions. They are both really fun and interesting to me but i couldn't see doing it for a full time job. but its always nice to have those skills and know what you're doing.
I'd much rather doing something in the engineering business.
-Brady

Last edited by 02 Earnhardt Monte Carlo SS; 02-09-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I say AUTO BODY

Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You guys have talked me into it,im taking autobody Everything machanics i can learn as i go,plus i have older friends who build there own drag cars and another who is a master machanic on anything with a motor lol.So i figured the monte will need a little touch up work and i take her to class and its free paint job

Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 PM

I think you made a wise choice. Something else to consider. Many school districts will allow adult students to come back along with the other students. Perhaps you can come back after graduation and finish the second year. It might be worth discussing with your guidance councilor. I had done that to learn typing.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:36 AM

I'd go autobody, it is a good skill to have. I'm envirobase certified with our PPG paint line and it is a lot of fun to refinish and paint.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My only imput is somthing the g/f's dad had told me some time ago when i was thinking of making a career in working on cars,

Don't make a hobby into a career,
(i didn't listen too well since i do my detailing on the side)

you will enjoy it that much more if you decide to take the classes and obtain that knowledge but not have to do the work day in and day out,

Now i can't speak for everyone but i can say if i was wrenching on other peoples crap all day i sure wouldn't want to start wrenching on my own...

when i was working at a trailer shop(Semi) i would come home and be so burn out on wrenching i didn't even want to look at somthing that needed work o and 1inch longe shaft impacts are beasts!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
My only imput is somthing the g/f's dad had told me some time ago when i was thinking of making a career in working on cars,

Don't make a hobby into a career,
(i didn't listen too well since i do my detailing on the side)

you will enjoy it that much more if you decide to take the classes and obtain that knowledge but not have to do the work day in and day out,

Now i can't speak for everyone but i can say if i was wrenching on other peoples crap all day i sure wouldn't want to start wrenching on my own...

when i was working at a trailer shop(Semi) i would come home and be so burn out on wrenching i didn't even want to look at somthing that needed work o and 1inch longe shaft impacts are beasts!
Very wise words.

Quick Reply: Auto machanics or auto body?