Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Anyone into astronomy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default Anyone into astronomy?

I just got a telescope (Orion 90mm Mak-Cass) about a month ago and have been having a blast. Of course I already want a bigger one, LOL, but I got this one because I can also use it as a telephoto camera lens. Can't wait for Thanksgiving weekend so I can get to darker skies in deer country, just hope it's not cloudy.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 AM

Very cool. What kind of camera can you attach it to? I have been wanting something to attach to my Nikon DSLR.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 AM

Hi `Becky,
I don't have a telescope, but I love the study of `Space...It's never Ending
We look forward to your future pictures of wildlife & your area on Planet `Earth.

My grandfather took the Bum's & I to the below when we were being homeschooled, and I'm looking forward to going back in the near future. It's just an amazing experience 4-Sure.
Astronaut Memorial Planetarium and Observatory
The Astronaut Memorial Planetarium and Observatory, or AMPO, also known as the Brevard Community College Planetarium and Observatory, is an astronomical observatory and planetarium at Brevard Community College in Cocoa, Florida. The facility consists of a planetarium, public observatory, large-screen movie theater, exhibit halls, classroom (used by Brevard Community College) and an art gallery.
Planetarium and observatory

The 210-seat planetarium theater is a 70-foot overhead hemisphere onto which images from a variety of projectors are shone, to simulate the night sky and to provide multimedia educational and entertainment programs to area schools and to the public. On the rooftop public observatory, visitors can view planets, stars, galaxies and other objects directly through a 24-inch-diameter (610 mm) Ritchie-Chretien reflector telescope operated by observatory staff and members of the Brevard Astronomical Society.
Other facilities

The observatory is also home to The Discovery Theater, Science Quest Exhibit Hall, and the International Hall of Space Explorers. The Discovery Theater uses a 70 mm Iwerks movie projector to shown are science and nature films. It also has an art gallery which images of space are shown, such as Messier 101.[1]

Old 11-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Photobucket

I have a Canon xti. I just had to buy the EOS t-ring. They have them for Nikon also I believe. I bought everything from telescope.com This is the one I bought plus the t-ring http://www.telescope.com/control/pro...9-c319b8d37e5c
It's 1250mm, you have to a have a rock steady base and don't breath LOL. I really need to get a shutter release cable.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Photobucket

Cool Space! That would be awesome to visit.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 AM

..Yes `Becky, it is Super Experience. A good camera & telescope are on my wish list for the future...I love searching for my home `Planet No one can confirm where it all ends...The answer I get when I ask the question is that it
"Ends, where it ends" : ) Sure is a lot of `Space 4-Sure....

Vacuum Energy
Quantum physics tells us that contrary to appearances, empty space is a bubbling brew of "virtual" subatomic particles that are constantly being created and destroyed. The fleeting particles endow every cubic centimeter of space with a certain energy that, according to general relativity, produces an anti-gravitational force that pushes space apart. Nobody knows what's really causing the accelerated expansion of the universe, however.
Credit: NASA-JSC-ES&IA

Old 11-16-2010, 10:08 AM

Cool thread. Looking at the sky is how my son got his middle name. We named him after the dragon, Draco.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:18 PM

For years I was quite the amateur astronomy geek. Real life seems to get in the way of any stargazing now though. I have a Stellarvue 80mm/f9 refractor. I just hasn't gotten out of the closet for a while. If you don't have one yet, you should look into getting some kind of star chart. Just figuring out what to look at in the night sky can by daunting when you're just starting out. Even a simple chart like that found in the middle of every Sky & Telescope magazine can really help.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Photobucket

I've had a planesphere for several years. I recently installed Stellarium on my laptop as well as my iphone, also put Star Walk and a moon map app on my iphone. I kinda like Star Walk the best, it has the night mode so it doesn't blind you (Stellarium app doesn't have it) and you can hold it up to what you're looking at and it'll tell you what it is. I was never really sure with the planesphere. It can also be set to show as many or as few stars as you can see depending on lighht pollution in your area - which I really like, kinda gets rid of extras that I can't see with my naked eye.
First thing I looked at was Jupiter and it was awesome! Trying to find the Andromeda (sp?) galaxy is proving to be tough for me. It would probably be easier if I'd sit down and take the time to learn how to use the dials and things on my EQ mount, LOL.

Here's a couple of pics. I have a loooong way to go to get good at astrophotographing.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone into astronomy?-014xx.jpg   Anyone into astronomy?-006x.jpg  
Old 11-16-2010, 03:19 PM

Sounds like you have some good tools already to help find your way around.

To find the Andromeda galaxy, you'll probably need your lowest power eyepiece. It's actually quite large. In dark skies you can even see it with the naked eye; not detail, just a big fuzzy object. Once you see it for the first time, you'll be surprised just how big it really is.

The Orion Nebula is another easy one. It's the middle 'star' in Orion's sword. Again, use a low power eyepiece at first. Higher power will show some interesting features inside the nebula like the 'trapezium,' a small cluster of stars. Some small Mak-Cass scopes (like the Meade 90mm one I used to have) aren't real good at resolving closely spaced stars. My refractor, though smaller, is actually better at high resolution imaging.

It's been quite a while since I've practiced my amateur astronomy skills. But if I can be of help, feel free to give me a holler.

Quick Reply: Anyone into astronomy?