Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Any Gun Owners? Concealed Carry?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:37 AM

Brent, I am very adept at hand to hand combat (trained in several different forms of martial arts before I joined the military), but unless the criminal has their gun in arms reach all that training is worthless. If they're dumb enough to get within arms reach I'll use their own weapon against them instead of wasting my own ammunition, but if not, I need something to equalize the situation. If I ever have to draw my weapon, that means a deadly weapon has been introduced to the situation and as soon as I have it out and aimed it will be fired.

In hand to hand combat, knives are FAR more dangerous than guns because it's easier to disarm someone with a gun than it is someone with a knife. If I knife comes out, I stay out of range and turn the tables back the other way. It's all about knowing what you're up against, assessing the situation, and reacting accordingly. If you're unarmed and someone pulls a knife on you, you CAN disarm them, however you have to know going into the situation that you WILL get cut in some form or fashion and you will bleed a fair amount. The key is to making sure that you don't get cut anywhere vital (anywhere on the insides of the arms or legs, neck, etc.) and even if you pop the knife loose from the attacker, there's still a chance that you won't instantly gain control and still knick one of those areas. Not to mention, you will still have muscle tissue, etc, cut even if you can get it to avoid a vital area.

I carry more to deal with criminals with knives than I do for your typical gun-toting criminal. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to disarm a person with a gun if they're within arms reach (and most will be, regardless of weapon used). At least if I'm armed, in the off chance they have a knife instead of a gun, I can increase range and minimize, if not eliminate, the chances of getting cut by a knife. While I am fully capable of giving myself stitches, I'd rather not do it LOL.

That being said, I do agree that it's safer to carry than to store in your car. And unless I'm at work, or going somewhere that I'm legally prohibited from carrying, I carry period. It doesn't stay in the car because it's useless to me when it's there.

That's my philosophy on the subject.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

JuniorCar, I agree with you that it is a really bad idea to store a gun in a car. I would hope that most people don't do this and just put the gun in their car when they travel. Cars are get broken into all the time.

On your other point I don't think my carrying a weapon in anyway affects a bad guys ability to get his hands on a weapon. First off, it would be concealed. I don't think a bad guy would take the time to pat you down to find it if it's a mugging or robbery or whatever. I think the odds of being disarmed are slim.

Second, there are many ways for bad guys to get guns without stealing one. I know the Kenton Coon dog trials here in Ohio is basically a big gun swap market, just people selling, buying, and trading with anyone. So again I don't think a responsible adult owning a weapon helps it get a weapon into a bad guys hand. Guns are manufactured and distributed whether you buy one or not. At least you know the gun you buy isn't ending up in the hands of a criminal.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm back to looking at the CZ P-01 as my first choice. I'll look at the Glock 19 too.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know the gun laws in NY.But even if I could carry I don't think i'd carry.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Y'know, I it that it doesn't really bothers me when military or former military members carry. Its actually sort of comforting. We are talking about people who are well trained and have swore on oath to your country and freedom. Its kinda prejudice, but it doesn't seem so bad to know that the heroes are walking around armed. That might come in handy.

On a side note, in my hometown of London Ontario, 2 people (one male, one female) were shot last night. They were know afflilates of the Hells Angels. Gang wars are building in London as 3 business owned by the Hells Angels were burned to the ground over the weekend.
Also, some guy robbed 4 banks in 2 hours at gunpoint downtown today. He seemed determine to get caught and was after wrecking in a car chase.

I gotta start carryin'

Old 01-11-2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
And here is a party pooper. I away pop into these gun thread - and am probably not welcome.

Ever notice that no Canadians post in these thread? Y'know that big village to the north where nobody gets shot?

Carrying a gun that you know how to shoot is harmless. But practice at the range offers no training to keep you from being disarmed. And once you have been disarmed you have armed a criminal. Those guns that those bad guys are killing people with out there were manufactured with the best of intentions. By not owning (or carrying) I play my part in ensuring the bad guys have no guns.

That being said, it seems to me to be a little safer to actually carry then to store a gun in your car. There was another thread about this and I was a little taken aback. Cars are so easily broken into and looted and after hearing about so many keeping guns in their cars it became pretty clear how easy it is for the bad guys to get unregistered guns in America.

Now I feel bad because it sounds like I have cast a stone at beloved America. I really do love America and Americans though. I would be proud to be an American one day. I have never been shot at in my many visits.

Anyways, if you have a gun, don't leave it laying around. And don't just train at the shooting range. Train in hand-to-hand combat so you can defend your weapon

We are all entitled to our beliefs and opinions and through civil discourse we can resolve differences and come to a mutual understanding. Please continue to chime in. That being said If the bad guy is close enough to disarm me I have failed in my primary mission, situational awareness. I am confident that I will never find myself in the situation that requires me to pull my weapon, but god forbid I do if it comes out it will be fired. I will always walk away and avoid potential confrontations, but I am prepared for the worst.

Originally Posted by Space

Hi `Teacher Todd,
Is your gun business still active...I know that you've been super busy with teaching/working/selling your new home 4 a bigger one +....Post a update & let us know...The MCF has many member's that are in2 weapons & maybe you should let our member's know what you have for sale ?

I also like the Taurus slim .40 Cal...I was thinking about getting one for my grandfather for his B.D. What is a good price on one ?

Look 4ward to your updates...
Space my business is up and running, it breaks even, and allows me deals on guns for friends and myself. I paid 300 for my 740. I bought it used on gunbroker. It does have some bite to it, but I like it. Depending on your grandfathers grip strength he may like the 709 better. I am happy to sell to our members and they are welcome to pm me with requests on prices.

Last edited by Teacher; 01-11-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Teacher
I am happy to sell to our members and they are welcome to pm me with requests on prices.
pm sent

j/k!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Aren't the "bad guys" already armed and not really in need of disarming you first?

Old 01-12-2012, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Teacher

Space my business is up and running, it breaks even, and allows me deals on guns for friends and myself. I paid 300 for my 740. I bought it used on gunbroker. It does have some bite to it, but I like it. Depending on your grandfathers grip strength he may like the 709 better. I am happy to sell to our members and they are welcome to pm me with requests on prices.

Thanks `Todd for your update & that you are still in business...I will PM you in the near future

Alex, let us know what you get...Thanks

Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by KJRich
Aren't the "bad guys" already armed and not really in need of disarming you first?
Bad guys aren't armed at first. And the firm belief of myself and many who are anti gun: How'd the bad guys get guns? When they get caught, 9 times out of 10 they are using a stolen gun.
And that's why I saying actually carrying isn't that bad. It seems to me a gun is actually less likely to be stolen when you carry than when you stash it in your car, or even lock it up at home. But a 100% perfected way to ensure your gun is not stolen is to not own one.

Quick Reply: Any Gun Owners? Concealed Carry?