Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Accident anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:57 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Right before Thanksgiving, I got hit in a parking lot by an illegal alien - no drivers license and high risk insurance. My friend who is a Lake County sheriff can't even find the guy - he has been staking out the guys address since the accident and nothing - probably a false address and name. Happened on private property so the guy wasn't ticketed. Was let off scott free. And I'm stuck paying for my $500 deductible. Luckily I wasn't hurt - he hit me pretty hard for driving across a parking lot! And I was lucky to have another car to drive when my car was in the shop for 3 weeks - or I would have racked up a pretty hefty car rental bill. My fiance had to pull out the bumper or it would have rubbed on the tire. I was lucky that the coolant bottle didn't rupture or then I would be paying for a tow.

Last edited by AwesomeSS; 01-20-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

You all know about me rear ending the Toyota Tundra in my Monte! AGH, but that was fixable.

Then I totaled my Cavalier...

I was 100% injury free in both accidents.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

So far, nothing has happened to me *knocks the same piece of wood as everyone else, hope it's luck isn't runnint out!* I've seen a couple in my day... I was with my dad on a rainy and foggy day when we rounded a corner near a scale house and all the traffic was stopped. We tore through the scales with the truck and trailer sideways, but my dad with 30 years of driving experience managed to avoid the ditches and an accident while tearing down a weigh station sign in Mebane, NC.... in all, about 80 cars got wrapped up in the accident that day on a 4 mile stretch from where visibility was so low. I've never seen anyone, anywhere turn a steering wheel as fast as my father did that day. They happen fast... as soon as they start, they're all over it seems. I remember looking in the mirror and seeing hte trailer's tongue about a foot higher than it shoudl be so I know the trialer was tipping over and damn well could have tipped us over in the scales. I'm not convinced that hte only thing that stopped us from tipping was how the side of the trailer hit the weigh station sign, and those things are metal and concreted into the ground, I remmeber feeling a good jolt when it hit and just before the jolt seeing hte trailer in the air.... and then we rode through the scale and I was looking all over for cops but they were busy handling accidnet reports. People who've been in a situation know that when an accidnet starts, you're instincts sort of take over and as quick as it all started, it's all over...

I think a Grayhound hit a car and whipped out 2 more, it was kind of like NASCAR when everyone starts checking up that brought in the other 80 some cars... cars were being rear ended and everything. And the funny thing was, up to that point, no one said anything on the CB radio.

I was on the drag strip one night racing a home built rail dragster (yeah, not good organization up to that point.. after my little deal, at Roxboro, they make sure it's dragsters racing dragsters, motorcycles v. motorcycles, street cars v. street cars, etc.). I was line up and of course, he got the jump, but then his right rear wheel flew off and he start moving right into my lane in a very big hurry... I slammed on breaks and heard a thud, which turned out to be my camera in the passenger seat slamming the dash board, and then I saw the tire on the left side of hte track bouncing down the guard rail... he missed me by about 20 feet.

And then one day I was in Virginia with my father in the Norfolk area going to Norfolk International Terminal (near Norfolk Naval Station for anyone who may have served there or know the area). A couple miles from the split where you go to the tunnel or to the port/naval base is where this happened. There is a car pool lane there, and in hte afternoon traffic was traveling out of norfolk while we were going in, so the carpoool lane was coming at us, but this lane is divided from the highway by tall cement barriers. Well at one point it rises up above the city and then has to turn left and drop down. Well a Toyota came along and apparently tried to turn too fast and got a little air born going down that hill... he turned sideways, then on to his side, then his roof, and then slid to a stop. he came out pretty fast, but there was nothing my father or I could have done anyway.... the cement barrier at that point is about 6 ft tall to climb... that closed hte carpool lane and made driving back from the port a mess that afternoon.

So I've been around accidnets and come close, but I'm clean so far.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:11 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Sorry about the accident but at least you're okay.

Let's see..... accidents.

1985 a good friend was helping me re-assemble my 4-door '57. I offered to buy him something to eat to repay him so we head over to Arby's. Just as I turn on my right singal to turn in to the parking lot some kid from out of town in a 4x4 Furd slams in to the back of my car sending us sideways in the lane we were in. We're waiting on the cops and he's all nervous. A cop shows up and wants to lock this kid up for drugs. I talked them out of it cause I figure he's got enough coming. WRONG! He get's a ticket okay, and he also leaves town. My car never did get repaired.

1993 Debbie & I drive my restored '82 2.2 Dodge Charger to the store one night. We're fixing to leave, car lights are on, engine running, suddely we fly across the parking lot 2 rows. Some jerk chasing his buddy clips the front of my car. He hooks his back bumper on my front bumper and pulls us across the parkig lot. Only real damage he did to my car was tear the facial. I let him go cause at the time there was zero insurance on my car. I'd just got it up and running again.

November, 2000. I leaving my morning job to go have lunch with Debbie like I did every day. Right after I leave the gas station a white 1998 Cavalier hits me head on. A bright red car and she didn't see it. We're waiting on the cops and a full sixe Dodge truck rear ends my cars. He get's out, looks his truck over, stands there like he's thinking of leaving till the security people @ the store we're in front of stop him. The cops arrives says, "Mr. Lynch, you're the only one not getting a ticket today."
The lady in the Cavalier was verious.

September, 2004. I'm on my way to work. While waiting on traffic a one-armed lady in a 1980s something Caprice slids up behind me and slams my car hard. I'm already dealing with neck pain from the 2000 accident. She just made it hurt 10x worse. A cool helicopter ride to a larger hospital (scared me zhitless) and they do every test but remove my brain and look for living cells.

It took me years to get any restitution from either of these accidents.