Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Are you an accident waiting to happen ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Are you an accident waiting to happen ?

[center][b]Updated:2006-10-20 16:29:39

Avoiding an Accident
By PATRICK ROWLINGS

Do you want to get this MCF Award ?
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/AE1042CBE6B04F149385A7AEF9C49F06.jpg[/IMG]

- 41,000 highway fatalities in the United States per year -
[X(]Something 2 think about[:-]

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there have been an average of 41,000 highway fatalities in the United States per year since 1993. Sadly, a great many of these deaths could have easily been avoided.

Here are some dos and don'ts that can help minimize your chances of becoming a statistic.

DOs

Do check your vehicle regularly: Driving a car isn't as simple as just starting the engine and going. A car is a complex piece of machinery that requires regular maintenance. The best time to check your mirrors, tires, brakes, lights, and windshield washer fluid is at the gas station. Think about it -- you're there about once a week, and what else are you going to do while filling up?

Do leave yourself an out: An out is a safe move that you can make should the worst happen. In practical terms, that means making sure that you have as much space as possible to maneuver your car if you need to do so quickly. For the most part, this consists of keeping people out of your blind spot and steering clear of the wall. This obviously isn't an option in heavy traffic, but then again, there isn't as much risk in heavy traffic because of the slow speed.

Do scan far ahead: Looking only at the car ahead of you won't sufficiently prepare you for dangers further down the road. By scanning as far ahead as possible, you'll give yourself the maximum amount of time to react. The key is to always keep your eyes moving. When you fix your eyes on one spot, you court danger.

Do use your hazards: Sometimes you'll encounter a sudden obstruction on the highway. Once you've slowed down, put your flashers on. This is a great way to alert drivers behind you when they see you slowing down.

Do beware of precipitation: At the first drop of rain or snow, water gets in contact with oil residue on the road and forms a slippery surface. Watch your speed. If it hasn't rained or snowed in a long time, there will be all the more oil on the road to contend with. The oil/water reaction aside, high-speed driving is never safe in wet conditions because of hydroplaning.

Do print easy-to-read directions: Familiarize yourself with your route beforehand , not while you're in the middle of driving it. If you need to consult a map or follow specific directions, print them in a large font and place them somewhere that's easily accessible. Pull over if you need to look at it more carefully. Always be aware of your position on the map.

Do use a hands-free headset: Whether you're driving a manual or an automatic, you need both of your hands. You may be tempted to talk on the phone, but you need to be careful. Using a hands-free device will allow you to keep your attention where it belongs. Even if you are still a little distracted while using such a device, you can at least use both hands to drive. Nevertheless, keep phone calls brief -- there's still the danger of getting lost in a conversation. Pull over if you need to talk longer.

Do make proper lane changes: Always pass cars on the left and check your blind spots. It's tempting to drive like a NASCAR driver out there, but remember, it's not a game. If you follow the rules, you decrease your chances of being in an accident.

Do use your flashers: As trivial as it seems, a good amount of accidents could have been avoided had drivers simply indicated their turns. Flashers alert other drivers to your intention, and people do respond.

Do be alert in parking lots: You may not be going fast enough to get hurt, but an accident in a parking lot can still ruin your day -- and hurt your insurance rating. Parking lots leave

Old 11-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Default RE: Are you an accident waiting to happen ?

[IMG]local://upfiles/714/7C65338EDA70444E9A089CFF4612DD38.jpg[/IMG]
Red said: "I don't know if there's more dumb ***
drivers on the road, or if they are just all out there the same time
as me."

Old 11-11-2006, 07:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

as me."

Or as George says, "If half the people in the world are stupid, the other half are stupider than that!!!"

[IMG]local://upfiles/1368/1886320086774FDDB895A05096B85779.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-12-2006, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer
ORIGINAL: SpaceRider
as me."
Or as George says, "If half the people in the world are stupid, the other half are stupider than that!!!"
[IMG]local://upfiles/1368/1886320086774FDDB895A05096B85779.jpg[/IMG]
Who is George ? Grandpa Dave, U R a funny man..Thanks 4 your post &
entertainment. Be careful of all those `dumb *** stupid people that drive

Peace Out. `Space

Old 11-14-2006, 03:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Damn I'm old, I guess the other half are older than me!!!