Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

9/11 Responders Care Bill defeated?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was wondering what you were talking about in post #2 Wayne. We all have an off day now and then. Especially when you're stressed out or very busy.

As for the original topic. I think the 9/11 responders deserve to be taken care of properly. Political opinions aside for a moment. 9/11 was the terrorists declaring war on the United States. And the 9/11 responders did their duty in an effort to save lives. They deserve to be taken care of.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
I was wondering what you were talking about in post #2 Wayne. We all have an off day now and then. Especially when you're stressed out or very busy.

As for the original topic. I think the 9/11 responders deserve to be taken care of properly. Political opinions aside for a moment. 9/11 was the terrorists declaring war on the United States. And the 9/11 responders did their duty in an effort to save lives. They deserve to be taken care of.
Especially since the first responders were lied to about the air quality at the sites.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2003-08-2...al-new-yorkers

Do they ever tell the truth? About trillions given to the banks? about how much oil was spilled in the gulf and where it all is? where the WMDs were? What happened to Pat Tillman?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

I can see some confusion about what was in the WTC buildings. They were built in the late 60's to early 70's. New and innovative building methods and materials were used throughout the buildings. Even some materials that were later found to be dangerous, like asbestos and aluminum wiring. Over the years/decades renovations and building improvements were done in some parts, and not in others.

As tenants/companies moved out and new ones moved in, each floor would be re-done by the new tenant. Combine that with changes in management, converting records from paper files to computer files. And a million other things.

So I can see some confusion as to what was really in the buildings. Besides, when the first responders were doing their jobs. They only thing they worried about being in the building was PEOPLE. They risked their own lives, to save others. They took the risk of not knowing what was in the air. Because they knew that there were others trapped in the building/rubble breathing that same air.

The defeat of the bill is not how you treat people who risked their lives like that. JMHO.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 PM

It was defeated because of PORK though. The Dems could of pass the bill if it was ONLY for the responders of 9/11 but they wanted more crap thrown in and that's when it failed.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:43 PM

We don't take care of our wounded troops all that well either.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

I know. That's unfortunate too.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

It's terrible.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by kingreyna
It was defeated because of PORK though. The Dems could of pass the bill if it was ONLY for the responders of 9/11 but they wanted more crap thrown in and that's when it failed.
Source?

This is all I can find:

Buried in the legislation, which is not a spending bill, Congressional Quarterly found language diverting $18 million for homeland security-related research at three universities: Mississippi's Tougaloo College, championed by House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson, D-Miss.; New York's Long Island University, thanks to House Homeland Security Committee ranking member Peter D. King, R-N.Y.; and the University of Connecticut, pushed by Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs ranking member Joe Lieberman, I-Conn.

The schools will be part of a "National Transportation Security Center of Excellence" consortium. The bill directs the schools to study transportation security and develop training methods for "transportation employees and transportation professionals."

So....an extra 18mil to help homeland security research. What else is there?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM

It is terrible. My dad was at Ground Zero a few days after it happened. Almost every Fire Department on Long Island was sent to the site to help search. My dad still has his fire gear he used that day, but it is sealed so we don't breathe in the dust and such from it.