Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> 4 `Jerry & Shelby fans <

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question > 4 `Jerry & Shelby fans <

Hi `Jerry & Shelby fans.
What do you think of the below GT 500 ?
It seems like a decent price ?
Post your thoughts `if you are in2 Shelby's

2008 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 GT 500 ONLY 4,000 MILES!

Present bid $21K

Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM

2008 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Review / Road Test

By Craig Howie

Meanest Mustang ever?

Ford's Mustang just got a whole lot meaner.
This Shelby-badged GT500 monster roars and bucks like every one of the 500 horses reined under the hood got foot-stomping, shoe-throwing mad. That's 25 horses more than the previous model, which makes it the most powerful stock Mustang ever built.
Throw in a supercharged V8 – remember the days when every Mustang had eight cylinders? -- 32 valves and a massive supercharger giving nine pounds per square inch of boost, and you've got one kerazy pony.
It's crazy because, with all that power flowing through the back wheels, Ford has chosen to keep the suspension beam bolted square to the chassis, which means that, every so often, you're going to feel every spin and slide of those 18” rims when you gun the power pedal. The back end will jump and hop around on the road like a yearling in foaling season.
Not good, but, apart from the rather spartan interior, there's only praise here for what must be just about every young boy's favorite grown-up toy. Or every grown up's favorite boy-toy. Whatever.
It's quick, mighty quick, at a shade over 4.5 seconds to hit a mile a minute, or just a smidgen above that of the Chevy Corvette, presumably its main rival in terms of muscle, power and price. The Corvette, though, is more power and finesse, whereas the Shelby is power and muscle. And enormous -- and enormously loud -- fun to boot.

Looks great in any color

I gunned this one – safely – on empty, wide streets around Long Beach port, hitting 35mph and second gear at about 6,000rpm and third when the tacometer needle screamed toward its red-limit nearer 70mph after I'd peeled my eyelids from my forehead. Everything above that is immaterial, obviously. Or is it?
More fool you if you try, but my guess is that you can go all the way to 100mph in third on its way to a top speed that, I'll guess, is somewhere around north of 160mph. Suspension is McLaren struts up front with coil springs, which lend an air of racing refinement to the ride and handling, though don't get carried away. This isn't a car, I got the feeling, that will make it safely around corners no matter how hard you push it. It's better than previous chassis set-up, but my advice remains don't push it too hard in tight curves.
Powertrain-wise, the Cobra insignia on the front grille and flanks indicates the Mustang keeps ahead of the pack, or stable, with Ford's new 5.4 liter 428 Cobra Jet engine it shares with its sister King of the Road GT-500KR. It generates an astonishing 480lb-ft of torque at 4500rpm. That helps it hit the quarter mile in 12.9 seconds.
Foot down in the GT500 is an experience everybody, not least performance-heads, should have once in their lives. Windows down is best for full aural effect. Find an open stretch of road ahead of you, maybe on a straight coastal road. Take a look around to make sure everything is safe, and go. And go. And within about 5 seconds, slam on those brakes once you've hit the limits of human and mechanical performance. Let your heart return to its normal rate. You've just entered automotive heaven.

Honeycomb grille for maximum air intake

Inside is not so heavenly. It's fine, to be honest, if underwhelming for what you'll pay for the car, or about $42,500 MSRP. Though for that money, you expect better switchgear detailing and a bit more finery. Heated, leather bucket seats are supportive round corners and GT500 logos are cool, but there's a lot to be done here.
Other stuff: It's lighter than many of its competitors at a curb weight of 3,920 lbs. Gas is not too bad at 14 and 20 town and highway. Ride is firm and its suspension has enough give in it to make it real fun to hang out the back-end on maneuvers. It has the best, purest example of a Le Mans stripe.
Get mean. Get this Mustang. It's the most genuine American sporting muscle car out there.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not a big Mustang fan. But Shelby and Roush do some great work on them. And I have to admit, they do sound nice in a launch.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't honestly know that much about them or pricing, that said, I do like them. Wouldn't particularly want a white one, have to be black I think. They had a green Shelby when I bought mine. It was nice.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with you about the white.

Just like many cars can't pull off yellow without looking like a taxi. I think white is a hard color for muscle cars and sports cars to pull off.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

It's not a bad price, but it was in an accident.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
It's not a bad price, but it was in an accident.

Hi `Amy, it's great to see you did you research & yes it was in a accident, but no air bag deployment. The Shelby doesn't hold it's value like a Corvette...Thanks 4 your post.
2008 Corvettes For Sale | C0 Corvettes | Corvette Trader Classifieds

<cite style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51); font-style: normal;">www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/2008-corvettes-for-sale.html</cite>
Matches 1 - 15 of 74 – Used Corvettes For Sale, 2008 Corvettes For Sale | C0 ...
<table style="border-style: hidden; margin: 2px 0px 0px; white-space: nowrap; border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px;" class="tsnip"><tbody><tr><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 10px 0px 0px; text-align: left; line-height: 16px;">2008 Corvette Convertible for sale - $38900 - 2008 SILVER CHEVROLET ...</td></tr><tr><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 10px 0px 0px; text-align: left; line-height: 16px;">2008 Corvette Coupe for sale - $37995 - 2008 Machine Silver Z51 Coupe 3LT ...</td></tr></tbody></table>
==========================================
Below 4 `Jerry

Last edited by Space; 01-29-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 AM

<table style='text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: "Times New Roman"; word-spacing: 0px; orphans: 2; widows: 2; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;' border="0" width="800" bgColor="white"><tbody><tr><td align="center">2003 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

(Stock # 09170)
Another fine Corvette from Roger's Corvette Center, Orlando, Florida USA - www.rogerscorvette.com

</td></tr></tbody></table><table style='text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: "Times New Roman"; word-spacing: 0px; orphans: 2; widows: 2; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;' border="1" width="500" bgColor="black"><tbody><tr><td vAlign="middle" align="center"></td></tr><tr><td align="center">2003 Corvette Coupe (09170)</td></tr><tr><td bgColor="white" align="center">2003 Electron Blue Coupe-***Supercharged***</td></tr><tr><td bgColor="white" align="center">Electron Blue /Black Leather, Automatic, Dual Power Sport Seats, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Memory Package, Fog Lamps, Floor Mats, Power Telescoping Steering Column, Heads Up Display, Active Handling, CD Changer, Electrochromatic Mirrors, Twilight Sentinel, Glass Top And Polished Aluminum Wheels. Quality Performance And Cosmetic Enhancements To Include: Pro Charger Super Charger With A And A Kit Dealer Installed, LG Long Tube Super Pro Headers With Borla Stinger Exhaust, Blue Engine Compartment Dress Kit, Red Calipers, New GM 3.42 Differential, Yank 3200 Stall Converter, Gauge Pod With Boost And Fuel Pressure And Brand New Michelin Tires.***Performance And Cosmetic Enhancements Exceed $18,000***-***Dyno Rated At Just Under 480 Rear Wheel Horsepower***-***Showcar Quality***-***Two Owner***-***Just Over 21,000 Miles***</td></tr><tr><td bgColor="white" align="center">21,000 Miles .... $26,900</td></tr><tr><td bgColor="white" align="center">Click here for production specifications for this year Corvette
http://www.rogerscorvette.com/index.php
</td></tr></tbody></table>