Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you like it ?
Yes, I like it : )
44.44%
No, I don't like it : (
0%
I just Don't Know ? I'm so confused : )
55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

2013 Chevrolet Malibu + 2012 Corvette + : )

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb 2013 Chevrolet Malibu + 2012 Corvette + : )

2013 Chevrolet Malibu - 2011 New York Auto Show

The new Malibu will get almost 40 mpg!

By Shaun Bailey / Photos by John Lamm
April 20, 2011
Photos » Videos »

Unexpectedly, Chevrolet has updated the 2013 Malibu by transitioning it to a newer generation of its front-wheel-drive platform. This is the same chassis as the Buick Regal’s. Thus, the new Malibu’s wheelbase is shortened 4.5 in. (to 107.8), but its overall length of 191.3 in. remains about the same. Borrowing from Buick has its advantages, including a broader track that results in a Malibu that’s 2 in. wider. Interior and trunk volumes are said to be larger, making the midsize Malibu considerably more spacious than its competitors.
Video window may take a few moments to load...
Here at the New York show, Chevrolet surprised us by showing the new Malibu Eco model. Sales of the Eco model will begin early in 2012, while the LS, LT and LTZ models will follow in summer. The Eco model leads the way with fuel efficiency that’s estimated to be an impressive 26 mpg city/38 mpg highway.
The Eco model is unique in the lineup and will feature a 65-lb. eAssist micro hybrid drive system. Mated to a 180-horsepower 2.4-liter Ecotec inline-4 aluminum engine is a 15-horsepower electric motor wired to a lithium-ion battery pack. It provides start-stop functionality, regenerative braking and a 15-hp boost under acceleration.

2013 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ

Non-Eco models will receive an all-new 2.5-liter Ecotec inline-4 that will include the same features of the 2.4, such as dual overhead cams and direct injection. But these engines also gain enhanced authority continuously variable valve timing, a variable-displacement oil pump and an electronic thermostat. Power is expected to be just below 200 bhp. Both engines are mated to a Hydra-Matic 6T40 6-speed.
Efficiency, Efficiency, Efficiency
To better cut the air and improve fuel efficiency via reduced drag, four underbody panels are used, as are grille shutters that close parts of the front air opening at high speeds. We’ve seen the grille shutters before on the Cruze. Low rolling resistance tires will mount on 17 x 8.5-in. lightweight aluminum wheels. Disc brakes are standard, as are ABS and stability control. An electric-assist power steering rack comes with the borrowed Regal chassis, as does its MacPherson strut front and multi-link rear suspension.

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco

The new 2013 Malibu isn’t a huge departure in styling, but gains some masculinity. There’s a considerable amount of detail in its styling, at least compared to the sparse current car. The interior receives ice-blue lighting treatment and now features a hidden compartment behind the 7.0-inch radio interface or optional nav screen. It contains a 6.0-inch deep lit storage area perfect for holding a phone, or wallet.
The new Malibu will be built in multiple locations around the world, including the Fairfax, Kansas, and the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plants in the United States. Pricing hasn’t been announced yet, but expect a slight premium to be asked for the initial Eco model that will go on sale first. We’ll guess it’ll be priced just above $25,000.

Last edited by Space; 04-29-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 AM

2012 Chevrolet Corvette Centennial Edition - First Look

This time it’s Louis’ turn.

By Matt DeLorenzo
April 7, 2011
Slideshow >>
More from Chevrolet >>

Racing and street Corvettes have been carrying the little skull symbol nicknamed Jake, which was created by the badboyvettes.com website. Now comes another special edition Corvette, but instead of Jake, look for Louis. As in Louis Chevrolet. His goggled visage adorns the B-pillar of this limited run Corvette that marks the division’s 100th birthday.
The 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Centennial Edition package is available on all models, Grand Sport, Z06 and ZR1 beginning this summer. It's no coincidence that the car is being launched about the time of the 100th anniversary of the first running of the Indy 500, a race in which Louis competed but never won, although his brother Gaston, won in 1920 before being tragically killed the following October at a board track race in Beverly Hills, California.
“Racing and performance are the roots of Chevrolet, a tradition carried forward by today’s Corvette,” said Rick Scheidt, the division’s vice president of marketing. “The Centennial Edition not only celebrates our 100 years, it once again pushes Corvette forward for a new generation of sports car fans.”

The first of these limited edition cars, the 100th 2012 Corvette off the assembly line with a VIN ending in 0100 will be auctioned April 9, 2011 at the Barrett-Jackson auction in West Palm Beach, Fla., with the proceeds to benefit the Austin Hatcher Foundation for Pediatric Cancer. The car includes the high performance Z07 package that features Brembo carbon ceramic brakes and Magnetic ride control. It is also equipped with the CFZ carbon package that includes raised carbon fiber hood, sill extensions, front splitter and roof.
Sinister Looks, Serious Performance
The Centennial Edition comes in one color, Carbon Flash Metallic, with satin-black graphics, satin black wheels and red brake calipers giving the car a sinister look. The wheels themselves are lightweight cast spun alloys with a thin red outline around the perimeter. Base coupe, convertible and Grand Sport models are equipped with 18-in. front and 19-in. rear wheels, while the Z06 and ZR1 have 19-in. front and 20-in. rear wheels.

A graphic logo featuring the Louis Chevrolet image appears not only on the B-pillars, but also the center caps of the wheels. The crossed checker flag logos feature the number 100 instead of the traditional fleur-de-lis symbol.
The car’s exterior treatment is echoed in the cabin—the dash and door inserts are wrapped in ebony leather with red stitching, while Microfiber suede is used on the seat inserts, steering wheel and shift ****. The Centennial Edition package can be ordered with the code ZLC.
“Louis Chevrolet was a fearless racing pioneer who also designed our first car,” Scheidt added. “Corvette is a natural fit to honor that legacy.”

Chevrolet Corvette »

» Overview» Photos & 360° View» Specs» Prices w/Options

Pages: 1 Photos

Old 04-29-2011, 06:17 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Thumbs up on the 'Vette! Not so sure about the Malibu... I vote confused.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
Thumbs up on the 'Vette! Not so sure about the Malibu... I vote confused.

LOL `Greg, don't feel lonely, I do EveryThing `ConFuzed
I do love the Vette 4-Sure...But the Auto Company are now putting MPG's over Power & I look 4 more 4 banger's with Turbo's and direct injection....Big Muscle is out for the masses, and reserved for the Rich & Powerful
Thanks for all your post & contributions to the MCF

Old 04-29-2011, 07:00 AM

Chevrolet Mi-ray Concept - 2011 Seoul Auto Show

Chevrolet showcases hybrid technology in roadster format.

By Nick Kurczewski / Photos by Calvin Kim
March 31, 2011
Photos » Videos »

Chevrolet pulled the covers off its hybrid-powered Mi-ray Concept during the 2011 Seoul Auto Show. Powered by a gas/electric powertrain similar to the one found in the Chevrolet Volt, the Mi-ray Concept has room for two, a pair of scissor-style doors, and ambient lighting worked into the exterior character lines.
This wedge-shaped roadster is a bold look forward at what the brand’s next generation of sports cars might look like. Developed to celebrate Chevrolet’s centennial year, the Mi-ray Concept “offers an exploration of future possibilities for the brand,” says GM Korea President and CEO Mike Arcamone.

The Future of GM
Mi-ray is Korean for “future.” However, we’d suggest that this drop-top seems a couple months late when it comes to kicking off celebrations for Chevy’s 100th anniversary—especially when you consider GM’s lack of wild, head-turning concepts during this year’s Detroit Auto Show.
Chevrolet says the styling and proportions of the Mi-ray conjure up fond memories of the 1963 Corvair Monza SS and 1962 Corvair Super Spyder. If you’re not old enough to remember, these were Chevrolet’s rear-engine import fighters in the 1960s. The front and rear fenders are supposed to mimic the look of classic Corvettes.
Yet to us, the size and proportions of the Mi-ray are reminiscent of the recently discontinued Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice. The Mi-ray’s carbon-fiber and CFRP (carbon fiber-reinforced plastic) body is divided by a sharply angled character line, with cool-looking ambient lighting underneath.
Corner-mounted carbon-fiber spoilers and retractable flaps (which control airflow and cover the fuel-filler and recharging port) add a 21st century sport-themed touch. Up front, the LED headlights and bold front end are said to offer a “reinterpretation” of the Chevrolet face.

A Volt for the Track
The Mi-ray’s powertrain is a “mid-electric” propulsion system, located primarily behind and beneath the driver. Two front-mounted 15-kW electric motors provide for zero emissions driving around town—though there’s no mention about driving range in EV mode. These motors are powered by a 1.6-kWh lithium-ion battery pack that is charged through regenerative braking energy. When more performance is needed, a 1.5-liter 4-cylinder turbocharged engine (mounted behind the cockpit) works in conjunction with the electric motors to send additional power to the rear wheels.
“Many of the components in the Mi-ray’s propulsion system are a logical extension of GM’s current technology portfolio,” said Uwe Grebe, executive director for GM Powertrain Advanced Engineering. The Mi-ray can be configured for front- or rear-wheel drive.
This is all good news if you’ve ever been tempted to go green with your next set of wheels, but don’t want to sacrifice driving excitement. There’s no word on pricing, or if the Mi-ray stands a reasonable shot at production. However, a hybrid sports car at a Chevy price definitely sounds like a win-win situation to us.

BEST OF THE 2011 Seoul Auto ShowR&T Auto Shows

More Auto Show Coverage »

Pages: 1 Photos

Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

I saw the malibu in person at the autoshow, over all I like it and think it's a step in the right direction...Outside it looks aggressive but still portrays the family sedan driver which is good for both the younger and older crowd...my only gripe is the HUGE rear tail lights, they need to be made a lil smaller....

Internally the car really shines through...compared to some of the GM's a few years back, the interior of these cars really stepped there game up...I think this is where GM's big kick in the A$$ came from when going through bankrupcy and rethinking the import competition, and that is a good thing...It was the one area I disliked about GM cars even when being a GM Fan...but now no gripes at all with the interior, just hope they keep doing what there doing in this area and don't fall asleep on this ever again.

One last gripe I have/ always had with GM though is while I was really happy/excited when leaving the Malibu, as I was walking away past the Buick area I saw a car almost identical to the Malibu...the Verano...albeit a bit more uspcale...externally there were many similarities that just did not set it apart from it's Malibu counterpart...Rebadging has always been a bad thing at GM and I hope they learn from this moving forward, although seeing these two cars, it does not seem so.

Oh yeah and the corvette is awesome.lol,
Joe

Old 04-29-2011, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

haha I voted confused too! I loveee the Vette but the Malibu is ehh. Like I've said in the past, GM seems to be making all of their cars look the same...when I first looked at the new Malibu's front I thought "Volt/Cruze"...when I saw the rear I thought "Camaro" That's pretty sad when you look at a new car and the first thing that comes to mind is the fact that it looks like another specific car the company already makes.

But that's just me

Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Hey they fixed the malibus goofy taillights but stil is blah but the vette looks pretty sweet i must say

Old 04-29-2011, 09:10 AM

I love them both. Im curious as to the look of the new impala.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I think the new Malibu looks excellent. I'm a fan.