Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: What do you think of this Malibu ?
I like it & might buy one ?
33.33%
I don't like it at all...
33.33%
It's not my style of car, but it looks OK
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

= 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco + more from GM =

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow = 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco + more from GM =

<!-- hero image goes here -->
Prototype Drive

VIEW PHOTOS (20)
Member's, do you like it ? Would you buy it ?
Post & let us know `OK

<HGROUP>2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco

We drive a preproduction Malibu and offer preproduction opinions.
  • BY JOHN PHILLIPS
  • MULTIPLE PHOTOGRAPHERS<!-- class="multiple" added when multiple authors or photographers -->
  • A.J. MUELLER AND
  • THE MANUFACTURER

Hard to believe, but what we have here is the eighth-generation Malibu, a car on sale 35 years and, uh, spanning six decades. It has historically been a kind of peripatetic approximation of Midwestern mobile civility—here today, gone tomorrow, then suddenly back again—and it was surely facing another passenger-pigeon demise when GM startlingly imbued the Malibu with all of the stellar credentials found in its sister, the Saturn Aura. Faster than we could say, “GM did what?” the previous-gen Malibu landed on our 2008 10Best list.
The first of the brand-new Malibus, slated to appear in the spring of 2012, is the Eco, featuring GM’s “light electrification of a traditional powertrain,” a.k.a. eAssist. GM doesn’t want us calling it a hybrid, although “hybrid” sure rolls off the tongue easier than “light electrification.” The system includes an all-in-one motor/generator that replaces the alternator, connected to 32 lithium-ion cells jammed into a 65-pound battery pack located aft of the rear seat. Via a rubber belt, the electric motor/generator—built in China, with no permanent magnets—contributes a bonus 15 horses to the crankshaft, mostly under wide-open throttle. Fun fact: The belt has a duty life of 75,000 miles. The Eco’s gas engine displaces 2.4 liters and produces 182 horsepower. Combined, engine and motor are expected to deliver 26 mpg in the city and 38 on the highway. We shall see.
Next summer, the more traditional gas-only Malibus will arrive—LS, LT, and LTZ—and they’ll all be powered by a brand-new 2.5-liter Ecotec producing an estimated 190 ponies. If so, that’s a healthy 21-hp nudge beyond the Malibu’s existing inline-four. By the way, GM is so certain you’re freaked out over fuel prices that no V-6 will be offered. That’s a bold wager.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
We didn’t drive a Malibu with the new engine. It wasn’t ready. Nor was GM positive about its power output. Nor of its fuel economy, although “more than 30 mpg highway” was a stated goal. Instead, what we drove was a preproduction Malibu Eco with 17-inch tires and an LTZ-level cabin that wasn’t finished. Price? GM didn’t know that, either. Hey, sometimes you make the trailer for a movie before you make the movie, okay?
The Malibu’s upscale cabin remains upscale, awash in contrasting colors and classy stitching, as well as so-called basketball graining, which sounds awful but contributes to dimension and depth. So, too, do new decorative lateral dashboard “vanes” that glow with ice-blue ambient lighting. The radio’s touch screen cleverly flips up to reveal a six-inch-deep bin that’s big enough to swallow a cell phone and abag of Fritos. The front seat cushions are firm and nicely scalloped. For two folks, back-seat comfort is excellent, with the Malibu’s wider front and rear tracks resulting in a 3.2-inch gain in shoulder room.
On GM’s ride-and-handling track in Milford, Michigan, what we first noticed is that the new Malibu is extraordinarily quiet, that its structure feels even more solid than before, and that you can’t feel the electric motor kicking on or off. The ride is firm but appropriate to the market, and body motions are adequately damped. At light throttle, there’s no telling how many cylinders are at play. At rest, there are supposed to be zero cylinders at play, thanks to the automatic stop-start function, but our test car never turned itself off. Under WOT, the Ecotec still evinces a high-frequency thrum that lays bare its humble four-ishness, and it will be thrumming aplenty because this new Malibu feels heavy, asking for a lot of throttle to get out of the blocks. How heavy? GM doesn’t know that, either. Or at least isn’t telling. The car certainly feels no quicker to 60 mph than the 8.7 seconds required for the Malibu LT we sampled in March 2008. Anyone yet pining for the abandoned V-6’s 252 horses?
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The Malibu’s ZF electrically assisted power steering is low on feedback, but the weighting is fine and so is tracking. Here’s good news: The regenerative braking that helps charge the batteries reveals itself not at all in pedal feel. No pulses, no soft spots—just firm, linear travel. Here’s bad news: The battery pack rests between the rear wheel wells and is cooled by a fan in the rear parcel shelf. It draws air from the cockpit. What with all of its tubes and snorkels, the thing reduces trunk space by two cubic feet, though the useful space is still one cubic foot larger than the 2012 Malibu’s. What’s more, the fan emits a jet-like whoosh when the engine is stoked with major throttle. Rear passengers will ask, “Are we taking off now?” At least front passengers can’t hear it.
Every Malibu is equipped with a Hydra-Matic 6T40 with a manual shift mode that is operated via a squishy rocker atop the shift ****. It would be a lot more convenient to bang away at the whole shift lever, but maybe Malibu drivers view that as hostile.
GM plans to sell the new Malibu on six continents, assembling it in four factories: two in the U.S., one in China, and one in South Korea. The car certainly looks the part with its bulked-up, I’m-about-to-pop-a-vein muscularity. Yet it boasts a Cd of 0.29, down from the previous Malibu’s 0.35, a huge gain.
Of course, don’t take any of this too seriously. We drove the Malibu Eco maybe 10 miles on the very test track where it was developed. It ought to feel good there, right?
As you read the following sentence, mimic Alec Baldwin’s deepest, darkest, most threatening voice, as if he’s narrating the trailer for an action movie: “In a world gone mad with power, there’s one Malibu, a Malibu that runs deep and won’t have a V-6 and doesn’t know anyone in Malibu. It’s a Malibu that’s ready for action—quiet action—from Muskegon to Miami but mostly in Muskegon. And if it doesn’t advance the chains as far down America’s sidelines as its predecessor, neither does it fumble. It’s your Malibu—America’s Malibu—but also China’s Malibu. Jeepers. View Photo Gallery

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><NAV class=mod>PHOTOS (20)
Specifications >

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

ESTIMATED BASE PRICE: $24,500

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 16-valve 2.4-liter inline-4, 182 hp, 172 lb-ft; AC induction motor/generator, 15 hp, 79 lb-ft; combined system, 182 hp

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 107.8 in Length: 191.3 in
Width: 73.0 in Height: 57.6 in
Curb weight (C/D est): 3600 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 8.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 23.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 16.4 sec
Top Speed: 118 mph
FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
EPA city/highway driving: 26/38 mpg
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://cdn.gigya.com/js/socialize.js?apiKey=2_XKlHhnfMYoreHKd3Fw8ePNY6z4WE 6PwBeR1wRUBr8W6NpfdL4-zJsuRQ-bWNs88k"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var conf = { APIKey: '2_XKlHhnfMYoreHKd3Fw8ePNY6z4WE6PwBeR1wRUBr8W6Npfd L4-zJsuRQ-bWNs88k' ,enabledProviders: 'facebook,twitter,yahoo,messenger,linkedin,myspace ,aol' } </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var act = new gigya.services.socialize.UserAction(); act.setTitle("2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco"); act.setLinkBack("http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-chevrolet-malibu-eco-drive-review"); act.setDescription("We drive a preproduction Malibu and offer preproduction opinions."); act.addActionLink("Read More", "http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-chevrolet-malibu-eco-drive-review"); var showShareBarUI_params= { containerID: 'componentDiv', shareButtons: 'Facebook,google-plusone,Twitter,Share,Email', showCounts: 'none', userAction: act } </SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> gigya.services.socialize.showShareBarUI(conf,showS hareBarUI_params); </SCRIPT>

Last edited by Space; 12-05-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:49 AM
Old 12-05-2011, 05:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm pretty sure we already did this thread 'Space. But I'll go again. I kinda like the car and would give it consideration. I think NASCAR will bo switching their Chevy model from Impala to the Malibu in the near future (but not the Eco model)

Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 AM

Sorry `Brent, I must be burned `out It's the same, but different ~> Maybe ? I must stop partying so much LOL.

I wish I could use that as an excuse... Just try'in 2 keep things updated & fill in some empty spaces..If, I can remember, I will do a search to prove my error's. I was going to say that I reposted 2 see `if anyone noticed & was paying attention...LOL

Thanks for your post & contributions...Wish U & readers a Happy

Last edited by Space; 12-05-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I dont care much for the new malibu, havnt liked em for awhile now

Old 12-05-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
I dont care much for the new malibu, havnt liked em for awhile now

Yes`Mike, I can understand...I think they are a little to powerful for people like us to handle... Did you read how fast they are I did not know that anyone was permitted to go 118 MPH Top Speed anywhere on a legal road....? They must have made them to race or zomething ?

Why do they make cars that go so much faster then the legal speed limits ? Y-O-Y Do they want us to speed/race ? Get tickets & pay for the police/courts/jails ?
Is it a conspiracy ? LOL

Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Looks like another cookie-cutter design to me. Can you say 'Chevy Cruze'?