Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Previewing the redesigned 2013 Chevrolet Malibu + more

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up Previewing the redesigned 2013 Chevrolet Malibu + more

Previewing the redesigned 2013 Chevrolet Malibu

It's finally here--or at least close. The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu will be revealed next month at back-to-back auto shows in Shanghai and New York in a nod to the broadening the global nature of this onetime slice of American pie. But what is it? The show car teased on Thursday is the eighth generation of one… Read the Article »

Member's, post your thoughts/comments.
Is Chevy going in the right direction 4 `YOU ?

Last edited by Space; 03-31-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:52 AM

2012 Buick LaCrosse with eAssist, an AW Flash Drive

The Buick LaCrosse will get an eAssist feature for.
By GREG MIGLIORE on 3/25/2011

What is it?
The 2012 LaCrosse with eAssist is Buick's attempt at offering light-hybrid capability to improve fuel economy while wrapping it in premium packaging. The system swaps out the alternator for a belt-driven 15-kilowatt generator and 115-volt lithium-ion battery pack, which works with a 2.4-liter Ecotec four-cylinder engine. There's also aggressive fuel shutoff during deceleration, a stop-start system and regenerative braking. The result? Fuel economy improves to an estimated 25 mpg in city driving and 37 mpg on the highway, while adding up to 15 hp. Buick will offer the LaCrosse with eAssist as a no-cost option on the base car for the next model year; meaning buyers can select this setup or the V6 for the same price.

The battery pack adds about six pounds of weight, but Buick engineers went to work cutting mass in other areas, including using aluminum knuckles, lighter, 17-inch aluminum wheels and eschewing a spare tire for an inflator. There also are flaps in the front fascia that can close in certain conditions (such as when less air is needed to cool the engine) and underbody panels that improve aerodynamics. Also notable, the setup uses a next-generation six-speed automatic transmission.

The belt-drive concept isn't brand-new,Saturn previously used a similar configuration on the Vue, which had nickle-metal-hydride batteries rather than lithium-ion. Buick's system is three times as powerful.

Production launches of the LaCrosse with eAssist start in June. The Regal gets the same technology later in the year.

What is it like to drive?
It's a big, comfortable Buick, and the eAssist system is helpful but nonintrusive. We sampled a preproduction prototype on the roads around General Motors' testing facilities in Milford, Mich., and it drove mostly conventionally. The hybrid element is actually more noticeable during acceleration, when it kicks on to add power low in the band, at about 1,500 rpm to 3,000 rpm. The stop-start system worked flawlessly when we encountered a red light, and the Ecotec four-banger is a decent little engine. There's a screen in front of the driver that tells exactly what is happening and what mode the car is in. We spent a lot of time in hybrid mode when summoning the extra juice during aggressive launches and upon blasting onto a highway, but the efficient four-cylinder soldiered on alone when we were at steady speeds, and no assist was necessary.

Technology aside, the LaCrosse is a smooth-riding sedan. The chassis is compliant over broken roads, the steering is light but directs this large car easily and the interior--even in these mules--is a pleasant place. Outside, it looks like a LaCrosse, which is the same basic appearance that harks back to the Invicta concept from several years ago.

Do I want it?

If you're looking at the LaCrosse or other premium sedans of this size and caliber, definitely take an eAssist-equipped model for a spin. You won't notice anything major. But if a four-cylinder sedan is on your shopping list, why not try one with an extra dose of efficiency? It's 2011, and 37 mpg is pretty respectable from a big sedan.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 AM

500 Chevrolet Camaro Indy pace-car replicas set for production

Chevrolet Camaro Indy 500 Pace Car. Photo by ROGER HART.

Chevrolet Camaro Indy 500 Pace Car. Photo by ROGER HART.

By GREG MIGLIORE on 2/09/2011

WITH VIDEO -- Chevrolet will sell 500 replicas of the 2011 Camaro convertible Indianapolis 500 pace car that will lead the race marking the 100th anniversary of the first running of the 500 this May.
Tracing a lineage that dates to Louis Chevrolet racing on a dirt oval at Indy, the 2011 Camaro pace car pays tribute to the 1969 Camaro pace car with similar white-and-orange livery. Power comes from a 6.2-liter V8 making 400 hp. The car will be offered with a six-speed manual or automatic transmission.
"Chevrolet has enjoyed a strong connection to the Brickyard," Chevy marketing vice president Rick Scheidt said during the sale announcement at the Chicago auto show on Wednesday.
Chevy has an agreement to supply the IndyCar series with twin-turbo V6 powerplants in 2012.
The Camaro pace-car replicas will come in SS trim enhanced with Brembo brakes, 20-inchwheels and performance launch control. The convertible model is also reinforced with added support and braces to reduce cowl shake.
Chevy has paced the Indy 500 more than any other brand, dating to the 1948 Fleetmaster Six. A long list of Camaros, Corvettes and everything from a Bel-Air to a Beretta have led the race.
Visit www.autoweek.com/section/chicago for more Chicago auto show coverage.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM

Holden Commodore Again Rumored to Come Here, Should it?

The Holden Commodore-based Pontiac G8 was sadly discontinued in the United States when it General Motors shuttered the Pontiac brand in 2009. Now, just a few years later, the rear-wheel-drive Australian-made sedan is rumored to return again in the coming years as a Chevrolet. We reported last ... Read more

Last edited by Space; 03-31-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I think the 2013 Malibu is looking pretty sweet. I'd drive one! I like the current Malibu too. I think most of GM's new cars are looking pretty damn nice, inside and out. I like the hints of Camaro style in a 4 door family sedan like the Malibu.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
I think the 2013 Malibu is looking pretty sweet. I'd drive one! I like the current Malibu too. I think most of GM's new cars are looking pretty damn nice, inside and out. I like the hints of Camaro style in a 4 door family sedan like the Malibu.
I totally agree with you.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

Honestly, I believe the Malibu is the most important car in Chevy's lineup more so then the vette and camaro, and since the impala isn't being redone anytime soon the malibu is the best car to go up against the camry and other imports, I agree the Current Malibu is a leap ahead of the previous generation.

I dislike that the next impala will be on the fwd platform...I believe the commodore(G8) Should come back as the next impala...instead it looks like it may get the caprice or Chevelle nameplate...

I hope the ute comes here, either as a Chevy or GMC...perhaps as an el camino, but I don't want them to stop with the ute, but bring the high powered Maloo... (SS?) here as well...

Joe

Old 04-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Well here it is guys, and I personally think it looks terrific. Not in that color though...

Give me a metallic black or Cyber Gray.

Also, the MyLink flips up to a storage compartment behind the head unit, very cool feature.

Last edited by RickAKATed10; 04-14-2011 at 10:42 AM.