Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you like it ?
Yes, I like it : )
36.36%
No, I don't like it : (
0%
I would buy one if I had the Money $ : )
45.45%
I would keep my Monte & just party with my Extra $'s : )
18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe

Hi Member's,
What do you think of the New 2012 C63 AMG Coupe.
I'm just happy that some auto company are still producing "COUPES" This one runs pretty good 0-60 in 3.8 Sec's & the 1/4 mile in the 12's
2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe - First Drive Review

If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em.

BY K.C. COLWELL, PHOTOGRAPHY BY ANDREAS LINDLAHR AND THE MANUFACTURER
May 2011
Pages: 1 Photos

Visit Our Buyer's Guide »

Mercedes-Benz C-class
News & Reviews
<!-- /buyers-guide -->Top Competitors
Specifications

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe

ESTIMATED BASE PRICE: $63,500

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection

Displacement: 379 cu in, 6208 cc
Power (SAE net): 451 or 481 hp @ 6800 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 443 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 7-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 108.9 in Length: 185.3 in
Width: 70.7 in Height: 54.8 in
Curb weight: 3900 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 3.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.1–12.2 sec
Top Speed: 155–174 mph
PROJECTED FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
EPA city/highway driving: 14/20 mpg

Since the 2008 C63 AMG went on sale, Mercedes has sold nearly 20,000 examples worldwide of the sedan and its not-for-the-U.S. wagon counterpart. Not bad for a hard-core enthusiast machine, but Mercedes still thinks it’s leaving something on the table. Enter the latest addition to the C-class AMG lineup, this C63 coupe. It just so happens that the C63’s biggest competition, the BMW M3, comes in coupe and sedan shells, too.
According to Tobias Moers, AMG’s “Dr. Frankenstein” and director of vehicle development, the C63 coupe was engineered according to a strict “no compromises” brief. When pressed, Moers admits that the Benz marketers added a two-pane glass roof as standard equipment. According to him, the added bulk barely affects the curb weight or center-of-gravity height. But the 17-year AMG veteran still claims he can feel it.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=251><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Most drivers won’t. They will be too busy basking in the glory that is 451 horses underhood bucking upwards of 7200 times a minute. Tack on another 30 with the AMG Development package (DP). Normally, when an option pack uncorks a few ponies, it does so with virtual octane, i.e., by remapping the engine computer. While the AMG DP does indeed include a reflash, it also throws in SLS-borrowed engine internals (forged pistons and a lightweight crank and connecting rods) for the 6.2-liter V-8. The new parts reduce reciprocating and rotating mass by seven pounds. Peak torque remains more than satisfactory, at 443 pound-feet, while the top-speed governor jumps from 155 mph to 174.
Pricing is still in limbo, but expect the AMG DP to add no less than $6000 to the estimated base price of $63,500 when the coupe hits showrooms in September. Those fluent in the styling language of AMG will recognize the AMG connection by the red brake calipers and the small carbon-fiber lip spoiler on the trunk. The really nosy ones will see synthetic-suede trim on an ovoid steering wheel.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=263><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Compared with the C63 sedan, the coupe is, well, short two doors and one seating position. As in the four-door, aggressive AMG styling cues start at the large, lower-grille opening and finish in back with a diffuser. The new coupe reaps the benefits of the sedan’s 2012 chassis tweaks, too. The wheels are aligned with increased negative camber, and every bushing has been retuned, as have the springs and shocks. The wet-clutch-pack engine-to-transmission coupler got the nod, thanks to its improved efficiency (fewer losses than a torque converter) and quicker shifts (as little as 0.1 second).
At 3900 pounds, the coupe is some 100 pounds lighter than the sedan. But as before, off-the-line traction is the limiting factor in initial acceleration. Thankfully, the updated transmission includes launch control, slingshotting the C63 with DP to 60 mph in no more than 3.8 seconds, with the quarter-mile mark passing in 12.1. Non-DP C63s will lag slightly behind in the quarter.
Speaking of traction, the old C63 was notoriously adolescent—it just loved ***-happy antics. Chassis updates quell this a bit, inching the balance closer to neutral. The back still comes around in lift-throttle situations and with salubrious applications of throttle. Catching the tail is child’s play despite light steering and the extra corrections needed to hold a cornering line. Plus, there is more wiggle room on center than we prefer.
If the firm ride doesn’t remind passengers that they are in a special Benz, the high-side seats and wicked exhaust wail will. A comparison with the M3 is imminent. Until then, let’s just call this another in a line of monster AMGs.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=576><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by Space; 06-04-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:55 AM

Less $ Money $ then above
===========================================
2012 Mercedes-Benz C-class / C250 / C350 Coupe - First Drive Review

Once a stubby hatchback, the C-class two-door returns as a proper coupe.

BY JUERGEN ZOELLTER
June 2011
Pages: 1 Photos

Visit Our Buyer's Guide »

Mercedes-Benz C-class

News & Reviews

<!-- /buyers-guide -->Top Competitors

Worldwide, the bestselling Mercedes-Benz cars are the C-class sedan and wagon. But since the CLK ascended the Mercedes product hierarchy to become the E-class coupe, the marketing folk in Stuttgart think there’s even more sales potential in the C range. And that’s why Mercedes engineers developed the new two-door, four-seat C-class coupe.
But this new car is not just a smaller version of the E-class two-door. It is mainly a cheaper version. The C coupe costs only about $1500 more than an equivalent C-class sedan, and it shows. The design is less expressive, with simply shaped wheel arches and a rear end that looks very similar to that of the C-class sedan. It’s questionable if anyone will recognize the influence of the SL on the C coupe’s headlight design, or the presence of the BMW Hofmeister kink adjoining the car’s rear side glass. It’s more likely that Americans will instead see shadows of the Honda Accord coupe here.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=96><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>To differentiate it from the C-class sedan, the new coupe’s roof is 1.5 inches lower. But it’s built on the same 108.7-inch wheelbase and to the same 180.7-inch length and 69.7-inch width. Like the sedan, it has B-pillars, and let’s be honest: A coupe with B-pillars is like Angelina Jolie with braces. (Dental braces, not leg braces. Leg braces would be hot.) And unlike the more expensive E- and CL-class coupes, the C coupe doesn’t have power rear windows or an easy-rear-entry function that pulls the front passenger seat forward. Worst of all, there is no seatbelt-delivery system, as found in your finer two-doors. Instead, the dashboard comes with exclusive design features such as a new infotainment system with silver-colored buttons. The steering wheel looks like the one in the CLS. Indeed, the interior looks great. Mercedes calls it a “lounge atmosphere,” and key C sedan safety features (Attention Assist, nine airbags) are available here.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=251><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>As Mercedes does with the E-class and S-class coupe, the new C coupe offers an optional—special order, only—sport suspension package called Dynamic Handling. It lowers the body by 0.6 inch and stiffens the springs and dampers. The advantage is agile handling in sport mode, even as the system softens up midflight if it encounters crummy roads; the transition happens in as little as 10 milliseconds. The handling package also includes a stability-control-based torque-vectoring system. In fast corners at the adhesion limit, when the stability-control sensors detect encroaching understeer, the system slows the inside rear wheel in order to assist the yawing moment. As a result, the C coupe turns into corners with precise control and real determination. As in the new Mercedes SLK, the gap between sport and normal driving modes is unusually wide, resulting in two very different driving characteristics. We drove the four-cylinder C250, which follows the downsizing principle: reduced displacement compensated by direct injection and turbocharging. In keeping with Mercedes’ opaque naming conventions, the 250 packs a turbocharged 1.8-liter four-cylinder with 201 horsepower at 5500 rpm. Naturally. Compared with the V-6–powered C350, the turbo four delivers 101 fewer horsepower and 44 pound-feet less torque. But the C250 is no slouch in the torque department: The peak of 229 pound-feet happens between 2200 and 4300 rpm. So the load changes in the most frequently used rpm range seem more spontaneous, and the C250 feels more agile on winding roads than the C350, which offers its maximum 273 pound-feet between 3500 and 5250 rpm. The C250 comes with a seven-speed automatic gearbox. The 1.8-liter turbocharged engine is able to run very efficiently, achieving an observed 30 mpg. Performance is about what you’d expect—we estimate 0 to 60 in 6.7 seconds.
Thanks to various developments, including a new torsional crankshaft damper, the 1.8-liter runs comfortably at low engine speeds. As a result, the C250 turns between 1200 and 2000 rpm in city traffic, improving mileage by about seven percent, according to Mercedes.
But a coupe isn’t developed to save gas. It’s built to shorten breath. This one doesn’t.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=539><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Specifications

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe

BASE PRICE (EST): $36,300–$42,300

ENGINE TYPE: turbocharged DOHC 16-valve 1.8-liter inline-4, 201 hp, 229 lb-ft; DOHC 24-valve 3.5-liter V-6, 302 hp, 273 lb-ft

TRANSMISSION: 7-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 108.7 in Length: 180.7 in
Width: 69.7 in Height: 54.8 in
Curb weight: 3500–3650 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 5.6–6.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 14.9–17.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2–15.1
Top speed (governor limited): 130 mph
PROJECTED FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
EPA CITY/HWY: 18–20/27–30 mpg

Last edited by Space; 06-04-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:41 AM
Cool EnJoy the `Dream : )

2011 Audi RS5 vs. 2010 BMW M3, 2011 Cadillac CTS-V - Comparison Tests

Achtung Heroes: To get the very most out of three scorching coupes, we find it necessary to cross the border.

BY TONY QUIROGA, PHOTOGRAPHY BY MARK BRAMLEY

Pages: 1 2 3 4 Photos

In This Story

<!-- /in story --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>$(function() { /* Vehicle Select */ var selection = $("#vehicle-select #make-selection , #vehicle-select #model-selection, #vehicle-select #editorschoices-selection, #vehicle-select #mostresearched-selection"); $("#vehicle-select .select").click(function() { tabId=$(this).attr("id"); sectionId="#"+tabId+"-selection"; if ($(sectionId).is(':hidden')) { selection.slideUp("fast"); // hide everything open $(sectionId).slideDown("fast"); } else { selection.slideUp("fast"); // hide everything open } }); $("#vehicle-select .close").click(function() { $(sectionId).slideUp("fast"); $(this).removeClass("current"); });});</SCRIPT>Downloads<!-- /Downloads -->

Magical things can happen when crossing borders: What is illegal on one side can suddenly become legal on the other. Cross into Holland, for example, and cough away in a hazy “café” without worrying about posting bail. Head into Germany, and go every bit as fast as you want, legally. Or  you can drive on Europe’s most famous racetrack. Just head west out of Frankfurt for a two-hour drive to the village of Nürburg, home to the 12.9-mile long Nürburgring Nordschleife circuit. It’s most often rented by big-time race teams and automakers, but the public is allowed to play on certain days for 23 euros per lap (about $28—plus you get a discount for buying multiple laps).
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=175><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>What’s more, German drivers are for the most part alert, educated, and courteous, and every car has to pass a rigorous roadworthiness inspection to keep rusted-out hulks off the autobahns. In many ways, it feels like the complete opposite of the American driving experience—in Germany, you can go 180 mph without fear of an arrest, but flip someone the bird, and you might end up in jail.
So, to test the latest challengers to our comparison-test champ, the BMW M3, we flew across the Atlantic, from the land of speed traps to the land of unlimited speed.
Facing the M3 for the first time is Audi’s new RS5. Looking to avenge the RS4’s loss to an M3 in a December 2007 comparison test, the RS5 is the latest car to emerge from Audi’s Quattro GmbH skunkworks. Based on the elegantly sleek A5/S5, the RS5 has its fenders punched out and its snout stuffed full with a 450-hp, 4.2-liter V-8. All-wheel drive distributes the power to the 275/30R-20 Pirelli P Zero tires while a new seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox provides quick shifts and an amusing launch-control function.
Cadillac has never built a car more perfectly suited to the libertarian nature of the German autobahn than the CTS-V. Now available with two doors, everything ahead of the windshield is shared with the sedan, including the 556-hp, 6.2-liter V-8 and six-speed automatic (a manual is standard). All of the creased sheetmetal from the steeply raked windshield back to the pointy rump and functional spoiler/third brake light is unique to the coupe. Other coupe exclusives—a retuned chassis, a wider rear track (by 0.8 inch), and reworked steering—give the latest CTS-V an extra shot of alertness.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=508><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Now in its fourth year of production, the M3 gets BMW’s newly created, M3-specific Competition package ($2500) that adds wider 19-inch wheels (which increases both front and rear tracks by a half-inch), plus revised tuning for the adaptive shocks and a 0.4-inch-lower suspension. Otherwise, the 414-hp M3 is unaltered for its latest smackdown with the Audi and the Cadillac.
It took $2000-plus in premium fuel, more than 1000 miles driven, and a lot of nights spent guzzling pilsners before the mist cleared and we were able to decide whether Cadillac or Deutschland is truly über alles.

Ensconced in the tiny town of Nürburg, Germany, on a street teaming with race shops, is the Pistenklause (“piston pub”) restaurant. Open for nearly 40 years, it has been host to famous drivers from Niki Lauda to Michael Schumacher and all the Joe Rindts in between. Framed pictures of the famous and the not-so famous cover walls yellowed by years of smoke. Owned by the mother of the famous Ring taxi driver, Sabine Schmitz, the restaurant is best known for its hot-stone steaks, a preparation whose roots are Austrian.
The little soapstones, roughly four inches square, look like unpolished granite and cost the restaurant 300 euros apiece.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=502><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>They’re placed in a wood-burning pizza oven until they reach about 750 degrees Fahrenheit (each stone has a life span of about 250 firings before it begins to give way and crack). The sizzling begins as soon as the raw Argentine beef (filet or rump steak) meets the hot stone at your table. A filet will set you back 18.50 euros (about $23); the rump steak is 16.50 (roughly $20). Steaks are savory and tender, and if your meal is overcooked, you know who to blame.
Continued...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 Photos

Last edited by Space; 06-04-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:27 AM

Funny, I saw an article on the C63 shortly before this. The only Mercedes I would consider buying, if I had the money. Specs are hot, car is hot, damn. I would still take the 911 first though. But this is definitely a hot piece of fine engineering.

"
It’s more likely that Americans will instead see shadows of the Honda Accord coupe here."

But this.. no sentence involving "E-class" should ever share a comparative sentence with any mention of Honda... the shame!

Last edited by milrlyt; 06-04-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by milrlyt
Funny, I saw an article on the C63 shortly before this. The only Mercedes I would consider buying, if I had the money. Specs are hot, car is hot, damn. I would still take the 911 first though. But this is definitely a hot piece of fine engineering.

" It’s more likely that Americans will instead see shadows of the Honda Accord coupe here."

But this.. no sentence involving "E-class" should ever share a comparative sentence with any mention of Honda... the shame!

Thanks for your comments/words & contributions to this thread & the MCF 4-Sure... I do see shadows of the Honda Accord Coupe, but to me it's like comparing apples to oranges....Both cars are out of my price range, but I'd love to have one of the above listed coupes....I still like the Caddy CTS "V"

2011 Honda Accord Coupe

Mercedes "C"Class

Last edited by Space; 06-04-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:47 AM

If I have loads of money, I still prefer to purchase Mercedes. My folks daily driver for 7 straight years is a Benz and as far as I know the car didn't give them any headache, I believe, today,Mercedes Benz parts are still the most reliable.

Last edited by oliver; 08-27-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

If brabus makes a 700hp version ill be all over that lol