Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you like it & would you buy one if you could afford ?
Yes, I love it & would buy one : )
42.86%
No, I don't like it at all : (
14.29%
I'll post what I'd buy for that kind of $ Dollars $
14.29%
I'd rather have a ZR`1 Corvette & the extra $ 4 fun & mod's : )
28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2011 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG ?

Hi Member's,
Below is from MotorWeek.
Do you like it ? Would you buy it `if you were Rich ?
I think I will go out & buy a Lotto Ticket & Pray 2 the Lotto God's : )
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD height=90 rowSpan=2 width=411></TD><TD height=10 colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD height=80 width=100><!-- blank space when no advertisers exist --> </TD><TD height=80 width=100><!-- blank space when no advertisers exist --> </TD><TD height=80 width=100><!-- blank space when no advertisers exist --> </TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END ADVERTISING 70X80 --><!-- BEGIN IMAGE & STATS -->

<TABLE width=300 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>
ENGINE: 6.2-liter V8
HORSEPOWER: 563
TORQUE: 479 lb feet
0-60 mph: 3.9 seconds
1/4 mile: 11.8 seconds @ 123 mph
EPA: 14 mpg city/ 20 mpg highway
MIXED LOOP: 16 mpg

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END IMAGE AND STATS --><!-- -->2011 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
Program #3029

When we first got our hands on the new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, we were tracing the route of the La Carrera Panamericana, chasing the road racing history of its legendary Gullwing predecessor. Now we meet again, this time at the more familiar venue of Savannah's Roebling road raceway, and hopefully we'll make a little history of our own!
That wonderful stroll through the Mexican countryside sure was nice, but we had different plans for this SLS. Nine turns and a long front straight to be exact.
Throwing $200,000 worth of automotive hardware around an ice cold racetrack has a way of making one nervous, but the SLS is so surprisingly drivable that we were put at ease fairly quickly.
It stays very flat in corners and has an incredible amount of power for coming out of them. And the sound is pure automotive awesome.
A variety of adjustments can be made to suit driver preference, from transmission shifting points to amount of Stability Control, and an AMG button allows you to store your settings for the next time you arrive at the track.
53 percent rear weight bias and a long hood have the potential to make for an awkward-feeling car, but the SLS turns in very quickly and the steering has a delightfully tight feel to it.
Shifting for the 7-speed rear mounted gearbox is done by steering wheel mounted paddles. Shifts were fairly responsive in sport-plus mode, but not as good as some other sequential manuals we've driven.
Brakes are pretty much a slam-'em-on affair. No dive, no fade, no worries, thanks to AMG racing's two piece floating compound brake disc design.
Providing power for our 160 mph front straight blasts is AMG's own 6.2-liter V8. It delivers 563 horsepower and 479 lb-feet of torque. No superchargers or turbos needed. Dry sump oiling reduces internal drag and allows the engine to sit lower. Technically, the SLS is a mid-engine design as the V8 sits behind the front wheels.
When news of a new Gullwing first surfaced, many of us were skeptical that such a car could be pulled off in these modern, safety-conscious times. But we couldn't be more impressed with the result.
The hood is long and the rear deck short, echoing the more pleasing proportions of the original Gullwing. And of course there are the signature upward opening doors.
While the look is nostalgic, the SLS is built around an aluminum space frame. And despite a wheelbase of 105.5 inches and overall length of 182.6, curb weight is only 3,573 pounds.
We hustled those 35-hundred plus pounds through the quarter mile in only 11.8 seconds with a speed of 123 MPH. Reaching 60 from zero required only 3.9 seconds.
The SLS explodes off the line with superhero-like force. Shifts come quickly as the big V8 roars to life. Indicator lights in the gauge panel lets you know when to shift, though leaving it in auto works just fine. Despite low times, the SLS never feels out of control, just hooked up and insanely powerful.
Climbing inside proved to be easier than expected. The sill is high, but the opening is wide enough for plenty of room to maneuver. Still, it took practice not to bang our heads.
Black and red leather seems to cover just about every surface inside, including the seats, door panels, and headliner.
Alcantara inserts on the optional AMG performance steering wheel provided good grip for track work, and the flat bottom design both looks racey and helps with getting in.
Not that you have to be on a race track to enjoy the SLS. Just about any road will do. Ride is solid, but German GT car smooth, making us wish we had more time with the SLS than we did.
Government fuel economy numbers for the SLS AMG are 14 City, 20 Highway with a combined estimate of 16 using premium fuel.
Original Mercedes-Benz Gullwings are among the priciest collector cars around, going for half a million dollars, which makes the 2011 SLS AMG's base price of $185,750 seem like a bargain. Options are plenty, and there is a gas guzzler tax as well, so most will go for more than 200-grand. While we didn't make any history with our Roebling test, that doesn't mean our time with the SLS wasn't impactful. And if we ever have an opportunity to retrace our steps and do it all over again, we're ready to wing it. <!--This is the end of the Review-->

Last edited by Space; 07-13-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:08 AM

I do like it, but it's way 2 expensive 4 me, but it's a great dream

Jump in & take it for a Ride

2011 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG for the Ultra Rich

To Dare 2 Dream

^^Kinda like a Space Ship ^^
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...sole_photo_108
^^^Click above 4 more pic's & report from Car & Driver

Last edited by Space; 07-13-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:25 AM

One of my favorites

2011 Aston Martin DBS'

2011 Aston Martin DBS - Specifications, Pictures, Prices

Click above to read & view more on the above Aston-Martin.
Yes, I dream a lot about cars, but I share

Last edited by Space; 07-13-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That car is evil. Go see Transformers: Dark of the Moon and watch a Camaro SS hand him his ***...

Old 07-13-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
That car is evil. Go see Transformers: Dark of the Moon and watch a Camaro SS hand him his ***...

Thanks `Brent, I shall put that movie on my Dream List to watch... I haven't been to a movie in 4-ever Maybe when I retired My life has been going MAX Speed So much 2 do & see ~> so little `Time : )

Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 AM

Purchase the Below to Show Everyone that you are RICH & want everyone 2 know `it

The Rolls-Royce Ghost

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON>
<CITE>www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/ghost/</CITE> - CachedSimilar
It's at the heart of our approach to Ghost. Seductively simple, it offers the presence you'd expect from a Rolls-Royce underpinned by the latest technology ...
Photography - Configurator - Specification - Brochure