Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
Since when is transferring plates legal....lol
I can't speak in all states but since before I was driving in Ohio it has been legal. If you have a plate with registered time still on it (meaning I renewed my plates on the '94 in July, they are good until July), rather then pay $50-$70 for NEW plates on the '02, as mentioned I take the new title and the current plate info to the License Bureau, for about $5 they transfer the plate registration from the old car to the new car.
Presto-Chango, all legal and saving money in the process. I'm dodging getting 30-day tags or any extra expense with plating the '02 since I DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE IT (not everyone can do that).

Originally Posted by Space
p.s. Sorry `Jason for all the highJack posts...Blame DubStep`Tyler he started it ~>LOL ~>, but we followed him, because he promised `us candy ~>
No problem Space. It happens to all of us

Anycase, thanks gang. The '94 Grand Am has been on the "how cheap can I keep it SAFELY on the road" for at least the last 2 years. Heck, I know if I was in PA, that car would have been LONG GONE (too much rust and a cracked windshield).

The '02 I am hoping to get many good miles in it. I'm sure I can squeak a lot of years out of her if I could keep the '94 running so long!

FYI - If I kept the '94 Grand Am to 2/14/2013, I will have owned it for 10 full years and well over 100,000 miles.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:09 PM

Looking good so far

Old 08-07-2012, 12:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Its great to get a new used car and clean it all up. It is amazing how bad some people let their cars get. The last car I bought was pretty clean but the one before that was filthy and it was from a teenage girl. Coffee and food stains everywhere.

Here in Michigan you can transfer plates from one vehicle to another for a fee. Also if you buy a car a month or two before your birthday you can just pay it in advance for the next year.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

The Grand Am is looking clean!

Well done Jason

Old 08-07-2012, 04:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Very thorough cleaning! Nice work

Old 08-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's probably the most thorough cleaning that car ever had. It's too bad when people don't take care of their car and trash it. Including half-assed wiring jobs.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Good job!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 PM

10 Year Member

Thanks everyone. I'm happy to be able to get in and NOT have to feel like I should have a haz-mat suit on. I'm never good at cleaning windows, but I did spray cleaner on the inside of them today.
To help continue the "freshening up" of the car, I also have some dryer sheets plated in it.

Originally Posted by Taz
That's probably the most thorough cleaning that car ever had. It's too bad when people don't take care of their car and trash it. Including half-assed wiring jobs.
No kidding. I know I tend to let my '94 Grand Am go a bit (lost the time to really dedicate to the ENTIRE fleet if you know what I mean). But the most it needs is a GOOD vacuum and wipe the dash, interior looks good. If I'm going for really good, hit with Armoral cleaning wipes and then regular Armoral.
Sadly, the paint has suffer LOTS of neglect. But my '94 is CLEANER then the '02!!! Figure THAT one.

And I HATE butchered wiring!!! I'm nervous enough of doing a good job when I have to wire something in a car (I soldier connections and then cover with electrical tape). But I try to make it all look "neat".
The last guy had an after market keyless entry put in by a shop. Looks like the connections are GOOD on that. But it does not work. I'm going to pull that out at some point. I might be able to use it's lines to make dropping in a remote start with keyless entry easier. Down the road plans

Old 08-23-2012, 12:17 PM

10 Year Member
Default '02 GAGT Updates

I did not want to start an ENTIRELY new thread, so I figured I'd give some updates.
As many know, my '94 Grand Am will soon have a for sale sign on it. I'm just trying to source factory door speakers so I don't send the after market pioneers with the car (I'm hitting the junk yard Saturday, sure I will come home with something).

Anycase, as this thread began, the car went through a HEAVY cleaning. Here's some other updates:
- The Monsoon factory rear speakers were toast. Sourced some from the junk yard, they were toast. My brother-in-law had some 150Watt Rockford 3-way 6x9's that we could ADAPT! My father took the factory Monsoon 4-pin wire off the original speakers, re-wired it to the Rockfords (so the Monsoon amp controls the tweeter/midrange seperate from the woofer, like the stockers). In the words of Charlie Sheen "Winning" Worked GREAT!
- Won an eBay auction for $55 shipped for a stock Pontiac Monsoon MP3 CD player (so I will rip out the Monsoon Tape/CD combo). Awesome!
- Last night, changed the plugs and wires on the GAGT (it had stock wires, last night I found it had worn out Champion spark plugs). Now it has NGK Plat plugs, BOSCH plug wires. Sounds great (can't take her for a drive, not legally plated yet). BTW - Just like the 3400 Impala, I did not have to move ANYTHING to get to the plugs. This modern Grand Am has LOTS of space on the back of the engine, where my '94 3100, I had to move the coils out of the way.
- Found an exhaust leak (I have to get a pic later of this). Someone prior to my ownership damaged the EGR tube, tried to bandair it with rubber hose (surprised it's not melted) and a clamp!!! That tube is $52 new from RockAuto, so, I plan to nab one from the junk yard this weekend.

I also took the L67 coils off my '94 Grand Am. I will put them on the '02 GAGT once I source stainless steel hold down bolts (like I did on the Monte). I ALMOST did not get one bolt off the '94 to get a coil out (had to abuse a cheap socket, then I replaced that bolt with a spare from the old bolts bucket).

I still need to resolve:
- ABS light (verified the plugs were connected, even reseated them).
- Resolve the CEL Fan Relay code (dad and I tested conditions for this and it's eluding to possibly having two fan circuits tied together that should not be).
- Remedy the free floating replacement rear brake lines the previous owner had put in.
- Replace front headlights (mounting posts are busted AND they are completely fogged/hazed up.

There are signs this guy used a hack mechanic.....
Teaches me to buy a car from a "questionable" neighborhood too
I joke with my friends that I have to de-ghetto this car!!

In all honesty, for what I plan for with this car, once I have all this stuff taken car of, I have faith she'll be SMOOTH sailing! A diamond in the rough if you will....

Old 09-27-2012, 08:41 PM

10 Year Member
Default '02 Grand Am GT Update

I figured there is no value starting a new thread about the '02 GA GT (or at least not yet).

It's pretty much been sitting idle (I'm not driving it until the '94 sells). Right now, all the GT has left to d that I know of:
- Get a factory MP3 radio programmed with a Tech II (should be happening Sunday, along with the same situation in the wife's Impala).
- Change a wheel hub due to a failed speed sensor (should arrive tomorrow).
- Change a tie rod end (should also be in tomorrow).
- Install replacement driver side inner fender (or fender skirt as some call it, arrived today).
- Change trans fluid and filter.

But late last week, I FINALLY changed the headlights. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! My brother-in-law laughed as he thought it made the car look almost modded with stock parts because it was so different. $60, brand new, shipped to my door, thank you eBay! And I know I could have tried a "polish kit", but there was other damage to these lights (like broken alignment studs and such, not worth it).

Today, I finally took some pics (the new ones installed, old sitting on top). I still have to aim them, but they are in, gaskets are seated right (so I don't look like one of those guys who just changed a bulb and failed to properly re-seat his headlight).

I should have also taken engine pics. Late last week, my brother in law and I degreased the crap out of it. She looks MUCH better now.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!-img_6677.jpg   2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!-img_6680.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!