Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!

My brother-in-law and I cleaned the CRAP out of the interior (excluding the windows) of the new 2002 Grand Am GT I bought. It was filthy. Sadly, I did not get pics of the interior (all pics are courtesy of my brother-in-law) when I pulled the seats. TOns of wrappers from gum and cigarette packs, empty cigarette boxes, some type of cereal under the back seats, a couple old fries in the pockets behind the front seats, coffee/pop stains EVERYWHERE!
I also removed the hacked install of a Sirius XM kit (the guy dis-assembled the power adapter for it, hard wired it to a power line for the HVAC control back light, did not soldier it, just coiled the wire around it and wrapped with electrical tape).

I wiped ALL interior trim with Clorox wipes to get rid of the "grime" and disinfect things. My brother-in-law worked the Bissell and shampooed the carpets and seats!

I also learned the rear speakers to the Monsoon sound system are blown. They have 4 pin connectors (as the Monsoon amp controls the wolfer and the tweeter separately). Anyone have a pair of rears they are looking to get rid of???

Here's some pics in order (sadly, hard to see the stains, dirt and grime).

Attached Thumbnails 2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!-copy-039.jpg   2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!-copy-040.jpg   2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!-copy-047.jpg   2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!-copy-050.jpg  
Old 08-07-2012, 06:21 AM

10 Year Member

Attached Thumbnails 2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!-copy-052.jpg   2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!-copy-053.jpg   2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!-copy-055.jpg  
Old 08-07-2012, 06:24 AM

10 Year Member

So at this point with my Grand Ams, here's what I have left:

'94 Grand Am SE:
- Remove misc stereo gear from the car
- Vacuum
- Wipe off any dust
- Put up for sale

'03 Grand Am GT:
- Resolve 2 check engine codes
- Resolve a Service Vehicle code
- Resolve an ABS Speed sensor (may just not be plugged in, has a zero reading)
- Change Plugs and Wires
- Correct the "free floating" replacement rear brake lines
- Transfer plates from the '94 once it's sold (they were renewed in July, foolish not to)

Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 AM

Good Luck `Jason on getting it the way you want it 2 `be
Below is from MSN for your information
2002 Pontiac Grand Am Reliability Rating

<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tb vAlign=middle>KEY:</TD><TD vAlign=middle> Minimal Problems</TD><TD vAlign=middle> Moderate Problems</TD><TD vAlign=middle> Significant Problems</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="tblueborder reliabilityRatTable" cellPadding=5 sizset="177" sizcache="36"><TBODY sizset="177" sizcache="36"><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #666666" vAlign=top><TD class=tbw>Category

</TD><TD class=tbw>Rating

</TD><TD class=tbw width="50%">Comments

</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" vAlign=top sizset="177" sizcache="36"><TD sizset="177" sizcache="36">Engine

</TD><TD></TD><TD>An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Fuel Injectors. The cost to clean the Fuel Injectors is estimated at $20.00 for parts and $65.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable taxes.</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc" vAlign=top sizset="178" sizcache="36"><TD sizset="178" sizcache="36">Transmission & Driveline

</TD><TD></TD><TD>Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" vAlign=top sizset="179" sizcache="36"><TD sizset="179" sizcache="36">Steering & Suspension

</TD><TD></TD><TD>Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc" vAlign=top sizset="180" sizcache="36"><TD sizset="180" sizcache="36">Brakes

</TD><TD></TD><TD>An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Wheel Speed Sensor (WSS) Wiring. A periodic problem on this vehicle is failure of the Wheel Speed Sensor. The cost to repair the WSS Wiring is estimated at $117.00 for parts and $32.50 for labor. The cost to repair the Wheel Speed Sensor is estimated at $278.00 for parts and $117.00 for labor per wheel. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax. </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" vAlign=top sizset="181" sizcache="36"><TD sizset="181" sizcache="36">Heating & Air Conditioning

</TD><TD></TD><TD>Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs.</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc" vAlign=top sizset="182" sizcache="36"><TD sizset="182" sizcache="36">Starting & Charging

</TD><TD></TD><TD>An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Ignition Lock Cylinder and Housing Assembly. This failure engages the antitheft system and prevents the engine from starting. The cost to repair the Ignition Lock Cylinder and Housing is estimated at $289.65 for parts and $78.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or applicable taxes. </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" vAlign=top sizset="183" sizcache="36"><TD sizset="183" sizcache="36">Accessories

</TD><TD></TD><TD>An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Power Window Motor. This problem can cause the windows to not operate. The cost to replace a Power Window Motor is estimated at $287.19 for parts and $71.50 for parts. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable taxes.</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #666666" sizset="184" sizcache="36"><TD class=tbw sizset="184" sizcache="36">Overall

</TD><TD></TD><TD class=tw>4 out of 5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

*Repair costs are based on a flat rate of $65.00 per hour and do not include diagnostic
2002 Pontiac Grand Am Reliability - MSN Autos <~ Click 4 more infor
Good Luck & I wish you safe & Happy Miles

Old 08-07-2012, 08:25 AM

Since when is transferring plates legal....lol

Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
^ Hi Tyler, in most states when you sell your vehicle you can transfer your present plates to your new vehicle. (4 a cost)

Or, if you junk your present car, you can also transfer your legal active license plate to your next purchased/obtained vehicle...

Old 08-07-2012, 08:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
Since always. The plate doesn't hold anything about inspection of the car. It's just the owner's personal registration of the car.

You go to a notary and sign your title that you are selling the car, then you can take the new title and register the new car to the plate that you already have.

You can't have 1 plate for 2 vehicles at one time, but you can sign a plate over so you don't need to get a new one everytime.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Looking good.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Looks good & i think in Texas the plate stays with the vehicle its whole life

Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Looks good & i think in Texas the plate stays with the vehicle its whole life
or until the vehicle dies & goes to Monte Carlo Heaven or Hell
Hi `Mike (JG), I thought that many states had different rules or laws when it comes to license plates & registrations.
I just think if you had to keep a plate for life I would make sure I put it in a closed protective frame..I seen nice cars from other states that have bent up & rusty places on a super looking ride, and the bad plates makes the ride look bad.

p.s. Sorry `Jason for all the highJack posts...Blame DubStep`Tyler he started it ~>LOL ~>, but we followed him, because he promised `us candy ~>

Quick Reply: 2002 GA GT HEAVY Cleaning Sunday!