Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

10yr Anniversary of 2Pac's death

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Default 10yr Anniversary of 2Pac's death

On this date in 1996, 2Pac was pronounced dead in Las Vegas due to a drive by shooting. He remains my favorite rapper of all time so I just wanted to pay my respects. R.I.P. Pac

Old 09-13-2006, 03:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: 10yr Anniversary of 2Pac's death

As an older older guy, I am more of a classic rocker and 80's new wave afficionado. But I watched Tupac Resurrection last night for the 2nd or third time. An excellent documentary and he was indeed a very interesting personality.

According to the documentary though, he didn't grow up as a thug, it was just a role that he played. He was raised as an actor and performer and went to acting school for such. Obviously his "role" got him into big trouble. His great talent allowed him to make people believe he was something he really wasn't. Taking that role into his personal life eventually caught up with him and created his demise.

Finally, Tupac stated in the documentary that news reels and public awareness of the Viet Nam war helped stop the war. So in turn he believed that his portrayal of a thug and "thug life" would create awareness and help stop racial violence and poverty. In hindsight, would he have thought that he was wrong? Ice Tea eventually admitted to the mistakes of his early career.

I strongly agree that Tupac was a great actor and performer, but IMHO, his sociological and philosophical ideas missed the mark somewhat taking the next generation of Hip Hop performers and Rappers down the same path.

Just my .02
Dave V.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:50 AM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

As an older older guy, I am more of a classic rocker and 80's new wave afficionado. But I watched Tupac Resurrection last night for the 2nd or third time. An excellent documentary and he was indeed a very interesting personality.

According to the documentary though, he didn't grow up as a thug, it was just a role that he played. He was raised as an actor and performer and went to acting school for such. Obviously his "role" got him into big trouble. His great talent allowed him to make people believe he was something he really wasn't. Taking that role into his personal life eventually caught up with him and created his demise.

Finally, Tupac stated in the documentary that news reels and public awareness of the Viet Nam war helped stop the war. So in turn he believed that his portrayal of a thug and "thug life" would create awareness and help stop racial violence and poverty. In hindsight, would he have thought that he was wrong? Ice Tea eventually admitted to the mistakes of his early career.

I strongly agree that Tupac was a great actor and performer, but IMHO, his sociological and philosophical ideas missed the mark somewhat taking the next generation of Hip Hop performers and Rappers down the same path.

Just my .02
Dave V.
That's my favorite 2Pac movie, I especially love how they were able to edit thousands of hours of interviews and basically have him narrate this posthumous release. I've seen it about 3 or 4 times and it just doesn't get old.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and you have voiced yours which I will not argue with. I don't agree with it, but it's your opinion. What I will do is suggest you listen to some early Tupac music, before the movies, the fame and the fortune. Listen to the pain in his lyrics, listen to the anger and frustration, those are not emotions of a privelidged young man as you paint him.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Hey,

Great response and thanks, I didn't mean to paint him as priveledged. I was trying to reiterate that he did say that Shakespeare was his hero which is rare in the urban world. I know he grew up in a poor disfunctional enviroment, he was one of the intelligent few who knew that there were other ways out of the ghetto and one of them was via the acting and performing business.

Believe me, I grew up in the worst parts and worst days of East L.A. I feel Tupac had a lot in common with me as we both had passion for our enviroment, but we didn't get absorbed into it. We both looked for different avenues out of the despondency and we both chose the business world.

Once again, I won't disagree that he was a great artist. And my daughter has many of his old CD's, I'll take you up on that request someday.

Regards,
Dave V.

p.s. Yes, I'm not a huge Tupac fan, but "Resurrection" is one of the best made documentaries I've ever seen.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:21 PM

It's hard to believe that it's already been ten years since his passing...

Old 09-14-2006, 11:21 PM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

Hey,

Great response and thanks, I didn't mean to paint him as priveledged. I was trying to reiterate that he did say that Shakespeare was his hero which is rare in the urban world. I know he grew up in a poor disfunctional enviroment, he was one of the intelligent few who knew that there were other ways out of the ghetto and one of them was via the acting and performing business.

Believe me, I grew up in the worst parts and worst days of East L.A. I feel Tupac had a lot in common with me as we both had passion for our enviroment, but we didn't get absorbed into it. We both looked for different avenues out of the despondency and we both chose the business world.

Once again, I won't disagree that he was a great artist. And my daughter has many of his old CD's, I'll take you up on that request someday.

Regards,
Dave V.

p.s. Yes, I'm not a huge Tupac fan, but "Resurrection" is one of the best made documentaries I've ever seen.
Agreed. Tupac was a very dynamic personality, somewhat of an enigma. He was so talented, charismatic and passionate, not to mention intelligent beyond his age. He had a rare combination of qualities, the likes of which we've yet to see embodied in a single person since his untimely death.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:19 AM

Now that we are finished waxing poetic, did anybody buy into that hype that he wasn't actually dead? I was only about 16 when he died and I was in such denial that I believed him to be alive for quite some time. I have been a huge fan of his work for many years.

Memories: The first piece of Tupac music I owned was a cassette of the "Me Aganist the World" album. My sister told my mother that I had a "RAP" tape and my mom destroyed the tape and left it on top of my bed. I was devastated. I couldn't understand why she could not see past the surface of aggression and explicit lyrics to actually listen to the poet pouring his thoughts out in front of you. I like that in all of his works, we are able to see a full spectrum of emotion and personality from the man. The music meant something, man.

Today's rap and hip-hop are nothing but fluff. Not trying to start anything here, but I can't stand 50 Cent, or anyone from the "Cash Money" crew. I'm so sick of this manufactured urban music today. Rap and Hip-Hop have become so mainstream that you could almost classify them as Pop music now. When I see little 13 yr old girls with pigtails and rich parents have "In Da Club" set as their cell phone ringtone and singing "We gon' party like it's your birthday", I know something is wrong with this picture.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Bigg J

Now that we are finished waxing poetic, did anybody buy into that hype that he wasn't actually dead? I was only about 16 when he died and I was in such denial that I believed him to be alive for quite some time. I have been a huge fan of his work for many years.

Memories: The first piece of Tupac music I owned was a cassette of the "Me Aganist the World" album. My sister told my mother that I had a "RAP" tape and my mom destroyed the tape and left it on top of my bed. I was devastated. I couldn't understand why she could not see past the surface of aggression and explicit lyrics to actually listen to the poet pouring his thoughts out in front of you. I like that in all of his works, we are able to see a full spectrum of emotion and personality from the man. The music meant something, man.

Today's rap and hip-hop are nothing but fluff. Not trying to start anything here, but I can't stand 50 Cent, or anyone from the "Cash Money" crew. I'm so sick of this manufactured urban music today. Rap and Hip-Hop have become so mainstream that you could almost classify them as Pop music now. When I see little 13 yr old girls with pigtails and rich parents have "In Da Club" set as their cell phone ringtone and singing "We gon' party like it's your birthday", I know something is wrong with this picture.
Considering that the powers that be are gonna go where the money is, and corporate america is where the money is at, it's no wonder it's so mainstream nowadays. That's what happens when something becomes so wildly popular that corporate america has no choice but to buy into it, it's sad but true.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:28 AM

Glad you think so. I thought I was just being sour!![&:]