Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

04 Pontiac Aztek Transmission swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 04 Pontiac Aztek Transmission swap ?

Hello guys AGAIN..lol... How tough is it to swap a trans on a 04 Pontiac Aztek? I'm sure it's similar to the w body cars because its the 3400 engine and appears to have the same mounting system.

My son has the Aztek and he BLEW the trans in it. I can get a used trans for about $400 but never worked on a transverse engine or trans swap, just the "Regular set up. I was a "Mechanic " back in the 70-80s when you could still somewhat work on a car at home..(I was injured and have MAJOR back and leg issues now).. Now this new BS is a bit scary...lol... My son wants to do the physical work and I just will watch over him. Is this an extreamly hard swap? Or just a strait forward, disconnect, loosen and replace ? I'm at a dead end here...
The shop wants $2500 to rebuild the trans, he said he can get it going for about $1500 but he stated that it wouldn't be the correct way and will not install a "used trans" from a junk yard. Bt on Craigslist I found 4 3400 trans for right around $400 each with a 30 warranty.
Second question, I also found a guy that has a Supercharged 3800 with trans and PCM, EVERYTHING included to install for $1200, it's still in the old car to prove it works great. It has around 79,000 on the motor / trans, will this fit in an Aztek ? Is it easier to do the entire swap, or just the trans (understand it will be a more work, but would be a ton more ? I told my son that I MAY buy the 3800 supercharged for my Monte, and sell him my engine, trans for $650...... Any help would be GREAT.....

Anyone in the Milwaukee area what to make a few bucks swapping a trans? Thanks again...Michael...

Old 05-19-2013, 01:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

The trans swap should be fairly easy. i would just drop the entire engine and trans cradle out the bottom make the swap and reinstall. The only thing i'm unsure of is how much clearance you can get to pull the cradle out from under the vehicle. Just make sure to label all the bolts and connections to make reinstallation a lot easier.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
The trans swap should be fairly easy. i would just drop the entire engine and trans cradle out the bottom make the swap and reinstall. The only thing i'm unsure of is how much clearance you can get to pull the cradle out from under the vehicle. Just make sure to label all the bolts and connections to make reinstallation a lot easier.
Thanks... I'm looking into it....seeing how much clearance I will need.... Ty...mjclemm...